77 vrs 79 alternators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curtislow

Third fj40
Threads
Will a 1979 internally regulated alternator fit and work in my 1977 2f without much modification.I know there isn't much gain in amps but I'd like to get back to toyota parts and don't need any additional amperage, if anything less ( led headlights and lights now ). Thanks

Just curious but why do you want to make the switch?
I was wanting to go all kinda stock and never have a chance of frying my
Just curious but why do you want to make the switch?
Just wanting to go back to stock and now
know I don't need the amps in my chevy conversion one the po has in there. Also don't want to fry my ammeter, although if I understand it correctly it should not do that because it only puts out what is called for as far as amps.

I was wanting to go all kinda stock and never have a chance of frying my

Just wanting to go back to stock and now
know I don't need the amps in my chevy conversion one the po has in there. Also don't want to fry my ammeter, although if I understand it correctly it should not do that because it only puts out what is called for as far as amps.
Also the one in there now has washers taking up space on the bracket and one of the ears looks like it's been ground down. I'd rather have an internal regulator than the 77 external regulator if it's easy. If it's a big deal to do I probably won't bother.

So you have a Chevy alternator in there now and you want to run the internally regulated Toyota alternator from a 1979?
Is the Chevy also internally regulated?
Short answer: Yes you can do that. If you do have a regulator you would need to bypass it. You will need to get the connector that fits the 1979 alternator and install on your wiring harness.

So you have a Chevy alternator in there now and you want to run the internally regulated Toyota alternator from a 1979?
Is the Chevy also internally regulated?
Short answer: Yes you can do that. If you do have a regulator you would need to bypass it. You will need to get the connector that fits the 1979 alternator and install on your wiring harness.
I have a chevy internally regulated from po that puts out 105 amps if I remember correctly. From reading about alternators I realize that it only puts out what the draw is so it should be safe.
One of the reasons I'd like to go back to a toyota alternator is the fact that when I'm gone the truck is going to hopefully be passed down to a famil member and having everything toyota would be nice.Plus the chevy one in there now is ground down to fit, and uses a stack of washers to make it fit.
I do not have a regulator now and have cut down on the draw with led lights and headlights so 55 amps should be plenty.

I have a chevy internally regulated from po that puts out 105 amps if I remember correctly. From reading about alternators I realize that it only puts out what the draw is so it should be safe.
One of the reasons I'd like to go back to a toyota alternator is the fact that when I'm gone the truck is going to hopefully be passed down to a famil member and having everything toyota would be nice.Plus the chevy one in there now is ground down to fit, and uses a stack of washers to make it fit.
I do not have a regulator now and have cut down on the draw with led lights and headlights so 55 amps should be plenty.
Just trying to simplify things and maintain stock even though I have other mods and the truck is far from a show truck.

Yes, the 79-87 internal regulated alt is identical form factor to the 75-78 external reg alt.

It needs one 12V ignition wire connected to the cleverly named 'IG' terminal to make it charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom