Builds 77 Series Build Thread - WildSouth, New Zealand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

77 Series Build Thread - WildSouth, New Zealand

Hi all, and welcome to another one of my build threads (my other one is for my main daily driver, a 100 Series 1HD-FTE).

Over the past few years I have been casting my eye over all sorts of vehicle sales, looking for something with character - I had a Land Rover Defender, in fact two, both very briefly. Too unreliable, too hard to source parts, too many “random” small failures and faults (window mechanisms, lights, wiper/turn signal arms breaking, etc). Since owning my 100 Series Cruiser, I have thought that maybe I can fill this “character” void in my garage with some sort of old school Land Cruiser. BJ73/74’s are very common in New Zealand here, as are KZJ78 Prados; so I was tending towards a Troopy or a 77 Series. My preference being the latter, as having the four doors is much more practical.

With a 77 Series in mind, I started really hunting, for over a year. Only two came up - one was rusty and on it’s last legs, the other had been in a big accident and needed all sorts of rebuilding (engine, body, etc). The two aforementioned trucks were both “nearly” vehicles - they both were automatic, when I wanted manual, and both didn’t have diff-locks, which I also badly desired but knew were PROBABLY a dream, and only a dream, that wouldn’t be possible.

77’s are rare, just about everywhere in the world bar Japan, so I was becoming exhausted with the search. That was until one day recently, I happened to be on Facebook Marketplace and a 77 Series to pop up. I started reading…..one owner….silver…..manual……factory diff locks front and rare! THIS WAS IT. For two years I had waited, so I had to be quick.

Two hours later she was mine.

My ultimate plan will be explained soon, but in the meantime, here she is:

My Plans for the 77!

I have owned the 77 for a week now, and I am thoroughly impressed. For a vehicle of the same age as the two Defenders I “tried” to own, it is just streaks ahead. Comfort wise, drivability, a nice and easy gearbox/clutch, good visibility, etc.

Already I have had a number of people either approach me in person, or message me on Facebook and forums, asking where the &*$% I managed to find one of these - especially with factory diff locks, electric windows front and rear, air con, and manual.

The last week has given me time to ponder what I want to do with this truck. My 100 Series, which I adore, is a beautifully tidy tourer, but not really a trail basher. I have always wanted something I don’t mind getting a bit of water in (nothing ridiculous though), and something that can get me high up into the headwaters of the Southern Alps here in the South Island of New Zealand.

With that in mind, I have come to the idea that I will build this up into an aggressive tourer - certainly not a daily driver.

The planned modification list is as follows, with ticks beside what has been completed:

• BFG All Terrain 33x12.5r15
  • 15x8 -22 offset black steel rims
  • Custom heavy duty floor mats
  • 9” spotties mounted to winch bar
  • Winch bar - MCC Falcon
  • 3” lift
  • Snorkel
  • Roof cage
  • Tinted windows
  • Blacked out grille - ✓ COMPLETED
  • Rear steel bar

A Quick 10 Minute Tidy Up

The front of the 77 needed a good polish and tidy up, so I decided to take the grille off completely and paint it black. It's done in plasti-dip, so I can peel it off if need be, but I actually really like the look. Paired with all the upcoming mods, I think it will look quite aggressive.

On another note, these candle-like headlights need a change up....my goodness they are weak!

Great score, looks excellent! Looking foward to the continued build.

Nice! What motor?

For the headlights, if you don't want to splurge on LEDs, see if you can still get 70/55W sealed beam units. They used to be an off the shelf item at Repco but that was a while back. Decently bright & they won't fill with water when playing in rivers like H4 can.

Cheers
Clint

Nice! What motor?

For the headlights, if you don't want to splurge on LEDs, see if you can still get 70/55W sealed beam units. They used to be an off the shelf item at Repco but that was a while back. Decently bright & they won't fill with water when playing in rivers like H4 can.

Cheers
Clint

Hi @clintnz - This is just the 1PZ. All of the 1HZ's I have seen come up haven't had diff locks, so I had to jump at this when I saw this. I have bought a set of LED's that came to about $250NZD, but that is a very good point you make!

Roof Cage Fitted

Last year I decided that my 100 Series would really benefit from a have a roof cage up top - mainly to store bulky, dirty, or awkward-to-pack items such as tents/swags, jerry cans, chilly bins/eskies etc.

I don't think I could go back to NOT having a roof cage now, so when one popped up for sale (perfect size etc), I jumped at it. I put it on today, and after a couple of hours of fiddly work (those legs take time!), it was on. You can get these from the guys at Hawker Supplies here in Christchurch - great people who really care about their products, and know their stuff!

I really like it, however it looks a wee but out of proportion at the moment given the sagged factory suspension and small rims/tires. I have this image in my head of a nice contrasting black on silver colour scheme, which will look a lot more achievable with some black steelies.

Here are a couple of shots of it:

New (Old) Shoes for an Old Gal

Having done my research on ih8Mud, as well as a host of other 70 Series forums, I decided I would like to fit some bigger tires. I noticed a trend of people fitting 33x12.5x15's on 15x8 - 22 offset rims; so I starting keeping my eye out for a good set.

I managed to stumble on a great set of used (but barely!) BF Goodrich KO's, in the desired 33" size. All fell into place when I managed to score a set of Dynamic steel rims, in 15x10 -22, for a cracking deal.

I fitted them to the truck yesterday, and it has really made a massive difference. The 33's fit nicely, and most importantly handle nicely, but the old sagged leaf springs mean it looks a little fat and wide, and slightly out of proportion. This should help with a lift eventually.

Shots:

Photo 26-02-19, 5 27 56 PM.jpg

Photo 26-02-19, 5 28 12 PM.jpg

Photo 26-02-19, 5 42 12 PM.jpg

Photo 26-02-19, 5 42 18 PM.jpg

I like your thread, I've recently got my hands on a HZJ77 400,000 kms sweet as a nut, factory difflocks, ARB bar, spotlights, arb roofrack, drives sweet but struggles a little with the roof rack at open road speeds. I've just put on a TT 2 inch lift and am running 255/85 R16s which are primo and the lift along with good shock greatly improved handling. Like yours its got the pencil beam headlights - what LED headlight replacement units did you purchase?

Last edited:
I like your thread, I've recently got my hands on a HZJ77 400,000 kms sweet as a nut, factory difflocks, ARB bar, spotlights, arb roofrack, drives sweet but struggles a little with the roof rack at open road speeds. I've just put on a TT 2 inch lift and am running 255/85 R16s which are primo and the lift along with good shock greatly improved handling. Like yours its got the pencil beam headlights - what LED headlight replacement units did you purchase?

@Jimmy cruiser - cheers man! Yeah I remember yours coming up on Trademe last year I think. What did you end up paying for it, may I ask? You mean a Terra Tamer lift kit? New leafs and shocks? Anything else? Where are you located? South Island?

I purchased some from an overseas website, I'll try track down a link.

A Cheeky Little Lift

Well, we all spend a lot of money on our rigs, don't we? The wallet has certainly been feeling the pinch, so I was going to wait a while to lift the truck. However, after fitting the 33's, I just felt it was lowriding, and didn't look right at all.

With that in mind, I figured perhaps a good start was to just fit some extended shackles on the factory (current) leaf springs. I was already planning on lifting it 75m (50mm with an EFS kit [new leafs, shocks, bushes etc], plus a further 25mm with extended shackles). So I thought why not, might as well buy them now and get a little bit of lift, before I add the further 50mm down the track.

The boys at Kaiapoi Repowers (KRAE) sorted me out, and I am really happy with how she is sitting (for the time being).

Photo 27-02-19, 10 29 38 AM.jpg

Photo 27-02-19, 10 29 44 AM.jpg

Photo 27-02-19, 10 29 54 AM.jpg

@Jimmy cruiser - cheers man! Yeah I remember yours coming up on Trademe last year I think. What did you end up paying for it, may I ask? You mean a Terra Tamer lift kit? New leafs and shocks? Anything else? Where are you located? South Island?

I purchased some from an overseas website, I'll try track down a link.
Hi, to date a terrain tamer 2" lift, along with the new rubber mentioned above. Been pre occupied with finishing the rebuild of my 91' PZJ70, I would imagine the same running gear as yours, R151F gearbox, 1pz and with factory lockers front and rear, you've inspired me to post a build thread! Look forward to yours continuing, ps I'm in Oxford you're local!

Hi, to date a terrain tamer 2" lift, reconed injectors along with the new rubber mentioned above. Been pre occupied with finishing the rebuild of my 91' PZJ70, I would imagine the same running gear as yours, R151F gearbox, 1pz and with factory lockers front and rear, you've inspired me to post a build thread! Look forward to yours continuing, ps I'm in Oxford you're local! Forgot to mention paid $22000 for the HZJ77 MCC rear bear next

Rear Bumper Removal - New (Old) One "Fitted"

One morning last week I set about improving the booty of the Cruiser - I wanted it to be have a few more benefits, with these being a better departure angle, and I wanted more strength. Steel bar it was to be! So I went searching.

The trouble is with these old trucks is that they are hard to find "accessories" for - parts are generally okay, but in terms of winch bars, sliders, snorkels etc, they can be a bit tricky. None of the big brands here did one for thise vehicle, so I searched some online sales. I happened to stumble on a local bloke selling a second hand home-made bar; which I thought for the money, wasn't bad going.

The old bumper was actually a bit fiddly to remove - lots of worn/corroded bolts that had seized over time, but we got there eventually.

The new one is most on, but for some reason it sits an inch lower on the left side, so I am going to try and fix that in the coming week.

Photo 1-03-19, 6 57 36 PM.jpg

Photo 27-02-19, 2 53 43 PM.jpg

Photo 27-02-19, 4 07 59 PM.jpg

Photo 27-02-19, 4 08 12 PM.jpg

The Wallet Is Hurting! Service and Spruce Up Complete

As with any older vehicle, you often need to make the effort to really get in there and make sure 25-30 year old parts haven't completely failed, or are about to. I often see people who try to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing, in order to "save" money. However, this will only be in the short term, and long term she will sure cost you a heck of a lot more.

So I dropped the Cruiser into a well-known mechanic who knows these trucks backwards. I told him to go through everything with a fine-tooth comb and anything that needs doing, I'll do.

After leaving the truck with him for a week, the list was as follows:

- Full service and checkover
- Replace/top up all fluids
- Rear and front diff oils replaced
- Replaced leaking washers on sump bungs
- New brass radiator
- Flush cooling system
- Genuine radiator cap
- Air con tensioner bearing
- Remove gearbox and fit new genuine rear main seal
- Fit complete new Excedy clutch and solid mass flywheel
- New spigot and release bearings
- Left front wheel bearing
- Viscous fan hub
- Winch bar

- Spotties

Photo 14-03-19, 2 43 17 PM.jpg

Photo 14-03-19, 2 43 30 PM (1).jpg

Photo 19-03-19, 9 28 31 AM.jpg

Photo 19-03-19, 9 28 50 AM.jpg

Photo 19-03-19, 9 28 58 AM.jpg

Hi @clintnz - This is just the 1PZ. All of the 1HZ's I have seen come up haven't had diff locks, so I had to jump at this when I saw this. I have bought a set of LED's that came to about $250NZD, but that is a very good point you make!

Hey now, what do you mean just a PZ!? They’re sprightly little motors!

Truck is looking great, good to see the mechanicals getting sorted. How is the old girl treating you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom