75 fj40 drivetrain options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a 700r4 to oem 4 speed case behind a sbc. My wheelbase is too short for my rear shaft. If I flip my springs I will gain the wheelbase but my rear diff will likely hit my fuel tank. Can I anyone tell me what can be done to make this set up work?

DC1E1C40-B2B9-4041-970A-FD8D9C83158F.jpeg

Smarter people will chime in, but it looks like from the pic that you may have an extra inch or two to move the engine forward. It's a bit of work moving the mounts, but if you are set on using the auto trans you need to gain it where you can.

You want at least a 16" rear shaft, it looks like you do have some room to go forward, have you had the body on to check firewall clearance? I used a 4runner front double cardan shortened as far as it could be and I am at 17". The pinion angle becomes very important with a short shaft so pay close attention to that. If you use a standard shaft make sure the pinion flange and e-brake are parallel and if you use a double cardan the pinion needs to point at the e-brake. You should bring that engine forward though if you don't have at least 16" for that rear drive shaft. You can flip the rear springs but if you don't have enough space for the driveshaft I am guessing you will have firewall clearance issues. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom