'74 1f alternator pulley alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an issue with my alternator pully not aligning with the crank and water pump pulleys. the alternator pulley sits about 1/4" behind (to the rear) of the other pulleys. There's no way to move the alternator mounting bracket forward.

I have a new alternator and it aligns the same so it's not an issue with the specific alternator.

The only way I can think of to remedy the issue is to put a spacer (washer) between the alternator fan and the pulley, thus pushing the pulley to the front of the vehicle and aligning it with crank and water pump pulleys.

Anyone else experience this?

A couple of pictures would help.

Are you sure your alternator and placement is stock? Do you have a PS conversion?

A couple of pictures would help.

Are you sure your alternator and placement is stock? Do you have a PS conversion?
no power steering, completely stock f155 motor. Single belt around alternator, water pump and crank. Headed to the shop in a few and will post up a picture.

Here's a pic looking from the alternator down to the crank. This best details what I'm talking about. You can see the belt angle out toward the crank pulley. The crank pulley and the water pump pulley are equal. The alternator sits in.
I'm thinking about just putting a flat and spring washer in between the alternator pulley and fan. That seems to line things up.
The alternator mounting bracket that mounts to the block is not movable or adjustable. It sits where it sits once it's bolted into place.

20210408_105302.jpg

20210408_105233.jpg

I have a new alternator and it aligns the same so it's not an issue with the specific alternator.
So, it seems obvious the problem is with the bracket. Have you removed the bracket? Maybe the holes have some slop and can be moved forward. And if not you could add some slop or slot them. You didn’t show pics of the bracket.

I have a 74 with the F.5. because of an after market power steering setup I had the same type of alignmet issue. I ended up using a 2f alternator mount on the passenger side and then bought a used 2F alternator and swapped the housing with the 1F alternator so all the mounting hardware and electrical connections would work.

So, it seems obvious the problem is with the bracket. Have you removed the bracket? Maybe the holes have some slop and can be moved forward. And if not you could add some slop or slot them. You didn’t show pics of the bracket.
The bracket has been removed and there is no play whatsoever. when it's mounted it's mounted. It doesn't move forward or backwards.

I added one washer in between the pulley and fan. Torqued it down at it aligns perfectly.

Is that the correct alternator?

Could you provide a pic of the alternator itself? I am betting it's been replaced and isn't correct.

Is that the correct alternator?

Could you provide a pic of the alternator itself? I am betting it's been replaced and isn't correct.

i agree , with PJ

that unit is ODD

i also see you have the Incorrect Land cruiser Pulley on that Mystery Unit ?

i know land cruiser pulleys well , the HEX NUT Never sticks out like that ?

its ressesed in the pulley itself

please see my Tech Links below :

to have a better understanding

Please PM me if you need further assistance obtaining all the correct update parts you need to correct this

thanks

These are 3 completely different part # land cruiser units i have currently NOS

see hex nut is flush and never sticks past pulley or recessed in a bit :

1618073476612.png

1618073550442.png

1618073570035.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom