70 series HV and V suffix meaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there!

While perusing 77 models on the JDM auctions I've noticed that both the HZJ77 and the PZJ77 can have V or HV affixed after their model number.

On this forum they make the following distinction :

HV = Japanese market ordinary truck, hard top
V = Japanese market light truck, hard top

Since both the PZJ77 and the HZJ77 are hard tops I'm not sure what to make of this ordinary vs. light distinction as many trucks with both V and HV suffixes appear utterly identical in terms of their basic features such as engine, transmission or suspension.

There seems to be a correlation between V and the LX options package on one side and HV and the ZX options package on the other. Am I right? I know the LX generally have a manual transmission, less electric gadgets and no sun roof while the ZX can be either manual or automatic but do have all the bells the whistles.

Any clue as to what V and HV really mean?

Thanks!

The PZJ77V has the R151 gearbox and the HZJ77HV has the A440F or the H55F. Thats the only difference I can see.

Hi RoscoFJ73,

I'll look up the transmissions you mentioned.

Thanks for the quick response!

Hi RoscoFJ73,

I'll look up the transmissions you mentioned.

Thanks for the quick response!

I didnt realise you were new around here. THe R15I started life as a R140 4sp in a Supra in the 70s. It was upgraded to a 5sp and become an R150 and then as a R151 and used on full sized landcruiser engines. Its considered a lighter duty than the other 2
The A44OF is Toyota heavy duty auto and the H55F is their heavy duty 5sp.
The PZJ77 has a 1PZ 5 cyl version of the 6 cyl 1HZ.
The PZJ77 will also have a dual mass flywheel.

RoscoFJ73,

Didn't know regarding the dual mass flywheel on the PZJ. I assume the HV variants probably have the H55F transmission and a solid flywheel then?

Thanks,

@roscoFJ73 is correct the v indicates manual trans and hv indicates auto trans.

Also worth noting, your LX and ZX trim differences are not entirely accurate. My PZJ77 is an LX and has a sunroof, power door locks, auto power windows, rear seat heat, auto hubs, lockers and carpet.

ZX trim usually have suspension seats and the dash gizmo with the tilt/incline thing and two tone paint. But that not always the case.

Regardless there really is no clear delineation I’ve seen. Back then a customer could order a car and pick specific options. It’s not like today where you pick a trim and packages.

@roscoFJ73 is correct the v indicates manual trans and hv indicates auto trans.

Actually I was saying that the HV is the A440F and the H55F and there for the heavy duty transmissions

RoscoFJ73,

Didn't know regarding the dual mass flywheel on the PZJ. I assume the HV variants probably have the H55F transmission and a solid flywheel then?

Thanks,

Yes but there are conversion kits from Exedy that you can use on the PZJ77 to make a solid flywheel

And to confuse the issue further, 7* series with the 1HZ and 1PZ for markets outside of Japan don't have the HV or V in the code

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom