For Sale '70 FJ40 barn find in NJ, USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD DLOS Friend of a friend had this in his barn for the last seven or eight years, sold the farm, so I grabbed it as a fun mini-project. March 1970 production date, shows 90K on the odometer. Got it running and driving but it needs a good going over to be roadworthy, no brakes, carb needs a rebuild, the usual. Vacuum shift 4WD works, good ole three on the tree too. OEM wiring harness is intact and some lights work, but taillights are out, again, the usual. Sill should be replaced, floorboard under tool box on driver's side needs attention but footwells on both sides are solid. Frame has surface rust only except rear channel behind the towball plate. It's usable as-is but shows heavy scaling and should be replaced. Corner gussets, frame rails, spring hangers, all fine. Overall very solid, especially for an east coast rig. The patina is first rate.

I can see this rig being restored to OEM specs because it is essentially complete and unmolested. But it would also make a very cool resto-mod (SM420, disc brakes, 33x10.50s on stock steelies). I have other priorities and don't want to commit the time and resources, so I'm offering it complete before I consider parting it out.

SOLD $2250, pickup in southern New Jersey. Title in hand. No trades, got too many projects already. I can probably arrange delivery at a reasonable extra cost if you can't trailer it yourself. I have a ton of pics and am happy to answer questions.

Best to text or call 215 850 6331. Thanks!
DSCF6126.jpg
DSCF6049.jpg
DSCF6081.jpg
DSCF6120.jpg
DSCF6075.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!! Nice rig!! I wish you snatched this up before I bought my project. Those BFG's are epic!!

I got a semi-built 1996 Land Rover Discovery I'd trade straight up. I know it's a long shot, but I'd bring it down with a case of cold beer and a length of rope to put the rear slider in your toy mini.

Hey! Great hearing from you Toyz! Yeah, I love those BFGs too. I drove this rig around the yard (where I have it stored) and they left cool skid marks on the concrete pad as the surface "crust" wore off. State of the art design for the 70's. Cue up the Allman Brothers and Eagles! Wish I had the time/resources to resto-mod the 70 FJ40 but I have to let someone else open that can of worms.

I gotta pass on the Disco ... my fleet is dwindling but you know I have too much going on as it is. Buddy of mine had a '96 Disco once upon a time. We drowned it down in the Pine Barrens. Mucho expensivo electronics under the front seats almost got wasted. Not one of Rover's better ideas. Maybe the design team figured it wouldn't actually be used by the upscale types who usually buy Rovers. It really was a chick magnet tho ... even with me behind the wheel, ha ha!

I'll stop down with the beer when I put my red mini back on the road ... Geez, stop down before then to see Sparkle and catch up if you're going to be around. LMK! TTYL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom