60 Speaker Size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Time to put a stereo in Old Bessie since I havent' had one since I bought it. I plan to replace to the speakers in the front doors too. I want to keep the door panels original and put the speakers behind the original grills.

I'm not 16 and looking to boom out the the neighborhood. I just want good sound quality to listen to on the road.

I have read a lot on the forum about speaker sizes but most posts are about modifying the door panel which I don't plan to do.

What's the definitive answer on the speaker size for the front doors when you want to keep the door panel as is and put the speakers behind the existing grill?

Thanks MUD!

I had 5 1/4" speakers on my last 60 it fit behind everything just fine I eventually added the cover because my panel was falling apart but they were good.

Even though they were smaller just got some Rockford P1s and it sounded great some tweeters above the seat belts and it sounded pretty good.

5 1/4 are the right size. the toyota ones are mounted on three holes though not 4 like most aftermarket speakers. i had to drill a couple new holes to get a set of sony speakers in there. in the end they sounded like crap anyway so i put some 6.5 instead and modified my door pannels. i did some component speakers and put the tweeters up high on the door. i too am not 16 looking for bass but i do like good sound and these are WAY better sound than the 5 1/4 can give. i wish i could have kept the factory look but function beat out form in my case
IMG_3806.JPG

Last edited:
you got any pics of the door/mounting mods?

appreciate that! last bit- and I'm sure it could be useful even here- does that interfere with the window at all?

I haven't looked regarding a 62, but the Crutchfield site used to have a speaker fit guide for various vehicles. Depth of the speaker is important for clearing the window. Any factory speaker is going to have a dinky magnet. I think Crutchfield should have a Max speaker depth if they have data for a LC at all.

appreciate that! last bit- and I'm sure it could be useful even here- does that interfere with the window at all?

these don't hit the window because i put a 1/4 thick ring between the speaker and door card. otherwise they would have hit. these are focal flax series to be specific. they have a pretty big magnet but sound absolutely terrific because of it.

i also took a stock speaker cover into a auto paint supply store and had them custom match a spray can. i painted all the speaker grills and the rings so they match my interior quite well

Had the same thing for a few years in my last car sounded pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom