6" LEDs in the Factory Front Bumper Vents (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I spend a lot of time reading this forum but post pretty rarely because so many of the projects I've tackled have been well documented and I don't have much more to offer. I did do a pretty cheap and functional mod this weekend that I couldn't find much info on beforehand so I'll share in hopes that some of you guys will find it useful.

My original plan for the 80 involved an aftermarket front bumper (ARB or Slee) with lights and a winch, but I've already got a built 4runner and really like the classic front end of the Land Cruiser so for the foreseeable future the front end will remain stock. The factory headlights leave a lot to be desired as far as light output, so I've been looking at some of the headlight overhauls that have been completed with projectors, etc. The end product is definitely cool and functional, but seems fairly tedious and expensive. I then started thinking about ways to incorporate auxiliary lights into the stock bumper and found a few threads talking about putting them in the bumper vents but really couldn't find any pictures of the completed product. I took some measurements and then hit Amazon to find some single row LED light bars, eventually settling on these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W6KD022?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01. They're a little over 6" long, 1 " high, and house 6 CREE LEDs each. The reviews were really good, so for $45 for a pair I figured it was worth a shot. Upon delivery I was really pleased with the lights, they seem to be well constructed and the finish is nice.

I trimmed the two vertical tabs in the stock vent inserts so the lights would fit, modified the mounting holes on the light bar brackets, and with some new hardware was able to mount the lights to the metal tabs on the bumper that hold the vent insert in place. It took a little trial and error but without too much trouble I got them to fit pretty well and sit flush with the front of the bumper. I'm still waiting on my switch from the guys at OTRATTW, but the plan is to use a 3 way switch so I can either control the lights manually or have them triggered by the high beams. Right now I've got them wired without a switch to turn on when the high beams turn on. Because the high beams are ground-side switched, I used an extra relay coming from the high beam wires that is grounded when the high beams are turned on (red and yellow wire grounds the relay on 85 and the red and blue wire triggers it on 86, 12 V goes to 30, and the light trigger coming from the other relay is attached to 87). Works perfectly and is a cheaper solution than the Slee harness, though I'm sure that is a very nice option that is more plug and play.

Here are a few pics of the almost finished product, still need to get some shots at night to show the difference in light output. Overall I'm really pleased, I think the lights are very functional, definitely improve night time visibility, and are a subtle esthetic enhancement to the stock front end.

Very nice. I've been eyeballing that area for lights.

Well did! Nice work.

@tarheel40 long term review of those lights?
starting down that path myself!
thanks

I did the same thing but used 30 watt lights.

How do you like them?

Debating cost vs light quality vs long term reliability.

I want to pull the trigger on a pair of sae/dot rigid fog lights but the cost is spendy. And I've got a pair of older Piaa driving lights already so down the line Vis is covered.

Other factor is that hopefully, in a year or so I'll upgrade to an Arb bumper. But in the meantime...

Looks good, are they brighter than the low beams? I did this Inserted HID fog lights in stock bumper, on the cheap!

I really like your approach and seriously considered it, was taking through the steps with a buddy with a welder a couple weeks ago...ultimately comes down to long term plans to swap the front bumper for me...If I did this, I'd keep the stock bumper.

but...there's always a but, my wife saw an ARB on another 80 a couple weeks ago and said "Why don't you have one of those? That one doesn't look at all like a soccer mom car." she knows right where to stick the knife...of course I added it to my xmas list, and she promptly guffawed at the $965 and said she thinks "I look cuter in a soccer mom car anyway." Daggers, Dagger I tell you!!!

Lol, sounds all too familiar

After about 18 months the lights are holding up very well - the finish still looks brand new and they are just as bright as they were day 1. I personally don't see the need to go with a more expensive pair of LED's for this application. I did end up wiring them to a 3-way switch, typically I have them set to come on with the high beams but I have the option to turn them on independently and I do that occasionally. I like the flexibility the 3-way switch provides.

I'm pleased with light output, definitely much brighter vs. headlights only. I've got 6.5" IPF lights on my 4runner, the LED's in the bumper definitely aren't that bright but I wouldn't expect them to be as they are much smaller. I think it's a pretty good "bang for your buck" project, between the LED's, switch from OTRATTW, and wiring components I've got less than $75 invested.

Last edited:
@tarheel40 awesome update. Thanks! What's the beam pattern like? Do they have any sort of cut off? Are they effective as fog lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom