5th Gen 4Runner Steering Rack Compatible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone replaced a steering rack with one from a 5th gen? Trying to figure out whether they are interchangeable. There are several different part numbers for the 4Runner racks, so it isnt clear from them whether the 4Runner rack will work or not.

Is a 5th Gen T4R rack beefier or just something you have access to?
I think people swap out Tacoma racks with tundra ones to beef things up.

Anyone replaced a steering rack with one from a 5th gen? Trying to figure out whether they are interchangeable. There are several different part numbers for the 4Runner racks, so it isnt clear from them whether the 4Runner rack will work or not.
Just curious, why swap out for a 4R? Price?

They are stronger. Beside the mounting holes need to be larger and different style flare fitting, people been finding they bolt right up.

I have big concern that it would freak out the stability control but it seem contrary. Some people that done it said the VSC did not get triggered as much.

150 Series / GX460 / 5th gen 4Runner / 10+ FJ
Steering Ratio Overall 18.4:1
Lock to Lock Turns (Steering): 3.0
Turning Diameter - Curb to Curb (ft): 38.0
Tie rod to rack M24x1.5
Tie rod to outer M16X1.5

120 series / GX470 / 4th gen 4Runner / 07-09 FJ
Steering Ratio Overall 15.7:1
Lock to Lock Turns (Steering):3.04
Turning Diameter - Curb to Curb (ft): 37.4
Turning Diameter - Wall to Wall (ft): 40.7
Tie rod to rack M22x1.5
Tie rod to outer M15x1.5

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
They are stronger. Beside the mounting holes need to be larger and different style flare fitting, people been finding they bolt right up.

I have big concern that it would freak out the stability control but it seem contrary. Some people that done it said the VSC did not get triggered as much.

Tie rod to rack M24x1.5
Tie rod to outer M16X1.5

Tie rod to rack M22x1.5
Tie rod to outer M15x1.5

I think @r2m and my question were concerning if the 5th Gen 4Runner and the 150(gx460) have the same rack, and it would appear they do? So it would not be an upgrade to throw a T4R rack into a GX of the same vintage.

Now who is swapping in a tundra rack lol

Looks like the 5th gen T4R rack on a GX470 could be a nice upgrade. I would have tried this when I replaced my rack if I had k iwn it was an option. Would be interested to see them side-by-side to get a better handle on the differences.

Found this in a Google search, seems that even a first Gen tundra rack would be an upgrade to the 460. It’s odd though in the description it does not say it would fit a 460, but it’s an option in the drop down menu?

I think @r2m and my question were concerning if the 5th Gen 4Runner and the 150(gx460) have the same rack, and it would appear they do? So it would not be an upgrade to throw a T4R rack into a GX of the same vintage.

Now who is swapping in a tundra rack lol
It is an upgrade for GX470.
Tundra rack got issue with turning radius. It is stronger but the housing are wider. They shorten the rack to make it fit our chassis and reduce bump steer but the drawback is the travel reduce. Your turning radius become much larger.

About the only reason I can see for upgrading is for very large tires while rock crawling. And if that's the case then just go all out and spend just shy of $1000 for a full hydraulic steering system and call it done! Hydraulic Steering Package - 4X4 Off-Road Steer Kit - https://hydraulicsteeringunlimited.com/hydraulic-steering-package---4x4-off-road-steer-kit/
Other than that, is there a reason to go with a beefier rack?
Much less an issue with 150 series platform. As toyota did reinforce some known weak point.

I never seen anybody run hydraulic ram on IFS yet. Full hydraulic are illegal on the road.

Pretty much all 470s are going to need a new rack at some point due to worn bushings. If a reman 5th gen rack isn't too much more than a 470 rack, why not upgrade? I have no intention of upgrading mine in the near future as it already has a new rack on it, but i would have been interested in this upgrade if I had known about it.

Same part number for example '12 4R and '12 GX 460

44200-60223​

There seem to be more than one part number for the racks depending on where you look. After looking at several dealer sites, eBay, and carpart.com, I could not figure out a rhyme or reason to the part numbers.

The Tundra ones are pure beef no doubt, but that is more than just a bolt in job - and much pricier too. The GX460 is slightly beefier, and cheaper for the most part, even new.

Just curious, why swap out for a 4R? Price?

If the 5th gen is the same as the GX460, it is beefier. They are also easily fund used and low mileage for relatively cheap. I took the plunge and got one from a 2021 4Runner with 20k for under $300. Have yet to do anything with it though, so I can't confirm anything as of yet.

Tie rod to rack M24x1.5
Tie rod to outer M16X1.5

Tie rod to rack M22x1.5
Tie rod to outer M15x1.5

There are a few successful reports on GXOR of GX 460 swaps. No 5th Gen 4Runner swaps yet though. I have spoken with folks that are now running them. No reported negative effects.

Looks like the 5th gen T4R rack on a GX470 could be a nice upgrade. I would have tried this when I replaced my rack if I had k iwn it was an option. Would be interested to see them side-by-side to get a better handle on the differences.

I'll lay them next to each other once I get time to pull this off. Have a 2021 4Runner rack in the garage now.

They added a parts cross reference to TOYODIY

IMG_1171.jpeg

Other than option differences I can’t recall any instance of beefier body, frame, suspension versions of compatible parts between the 460 and 5th Gen 4R. I’ve mainly seen 120 series upgrading to beefier compatible 150 series options. Open to being corrected though.

Last edited:
They added a parts cross reference to TOYODIY

View attachment 3308688
This is the one I bought.

Note the string of part number in the listing - none of which are the 44200-60223. Somewhere along the line that number was phased out. Hopefully just a number succession and not a change in the part.

In my Toyota EPC, 44200-60223 is for 10-12 4Runenr Mexico Spec.

On the US spec, I know the outer tie rods are the same, the inners are different. I have both types of inners in the garage at home I'll snap a pic later.

Lexus parts site also shows for all 2010-2023 460s

And Toyota parts does show Mexico spec

IMG_1176.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom