4th gen 4Runner ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you think a 4th gen. 4Runner with the 4.7 V8 can safely tow a 1st gen. wheeler on a light car trailer?

Do you think a 4th gen. 4Runner with the 4.7 V8 can safely tow a 1st gen. wheeler on a light car trailer?

They are rated for 5000lb, and that engine is plenty strong to do it.

I'd say yes.

Thanks, Chuck, you confirmed what I was thinking. My older son sold his Dodge CTD and bought one yesterday, he's very excited.

7500 lbs tow rating iirc with the V8.

Cool:)

Just for clarification: 4.0L V6 towing capacity is 5,000 lbs
4.7L V8 is 7,300 lbs.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/4runner/2008/

The V8 is plenty strong to tow, and that's usually not the issue when towing heavy loads. With such a short wheelbase and relatively light curb weight, you could find it hard to control while manuevering at high speeds and when going downhill. Hope you have a good weight dist. hitch and a trailer brake system.

I towed my brother in law's HEAVY steel car trailer (its for his tractor) behind my old 4.0/auto double cab tacoma a few times. Twice with fox mustangs on it and once with my E30. It towed it fine but stopping without a brake controller was a little sketchy. A 4 Runner has a slightly shorter wheelbase I believe so it might not be quite as stable but trailer brakes are a must for sure.

If you spend $200 and buy an equalizer hitch, it will make a world of difference. Especially on a short wheel base like the 4runner.

Yes.
It can handle that load with no problem and safely.

The V8 can tow about 7,000lbs safely. (Beware of tongue LB)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom