4Skinner Re-power (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try a crawler box to move the tranny back it will help. I started a setup like this on a pick up when I began at raddcruisers then the customer couldnt afford what had to be done.

Front spring perch and housing pics for those who asked.
Spring perch is 3"x5"x1/4" cut and capped, and boxed-in on the ends, its heavy and burly. Front housing was kept stock 60 series width.
F-hanger.jpg
axlechop.jpg
axlechop2.jpg

Try a crawler box to move the tranny back it will help. I started a setup like this on a pick up when I began at raddcruisers then the customer couldnt afford what had to be done.

I remember that build Jay, only other option was to cut the fire wall and move the engine back and down. And I think it still was still going to be one steep ass front drive shaft.

Maybe a double double cardan shaft:rolleyes:

Front spring perch and housing pics for those who asked.
Spring perch is 3"x5"x1/4" cut and capped, and boxed-in on the ends, its heavy and burly. Front housing was kept stock 60 series width.

Nice work..... really nice. keep it up man!

Cam

Nice work..... really nice. keep it up man!

Cam
thanks dude! havin' fun and drinking way too much beer while i'm at it...
Are you really going to use an HX-40???
LOL... and no, inside joke. i've got an old 12valve that's getting an HX-40. Got a few options for this one though, ct-26, a couple volvo turbos, gonna mix and match to see what we can do.

Decided to plate the frame tonight, i guess they like to crack with stock 22RE's/SBC's. So i plated both sides with 3/8"'s, holesawed and welded the plates as well(can kinda see on the left). If everything goes as planned, should have the engine mounts in tomorrow, and plan something for a tranny mount also.
Cheers!
:beer:
frameplate.jpg

Yeah, there's defenitely alot of improvising with these minitruck/4runners. Nothing seems to line-up quite right or have much room for any xtras, gas tank on the wrong side, exhaust in the way, narrow frames, e-brake mods, etc... It'll all go together though...:hillbilly:

The 3B has a new home and fits quite nice, leaving lots of room for a turbo--to be set-up on the next trip back from work--. This is how it sits, there's about 300lbs.of steel plus seats/harness/minituck trans/tranny in the back so its kinda draggin' ass. I still have to swap the 60 rear axle and undecided rear springs in the back, but i'm super happy with the way it turned out, photos don't do it justice and can't wait get an exhaust on it to take it for a rip!!! That's it for several weeks til' i get back!
Cheers!
4Skinner2.jpg

Update: not much done this time around. The 60 series full float is in and rear spring perches tacked into place. Trying to decide on rear springs, thinking Cheby 63's, 60 series rears, hybrid F150's... I need something that'll handle a loaded truck and that'll still flex decently.
Anyhow, here's how it sits a couple inches wider.
BF4Rnr24.jpg
BF4Rnr25.jpg

nice, that thing is looken good!

hey, had any thoughts about turbo manifolds?

I managed to cobble together a functional turbo out of goat droppings ,frog jerky and belly button lint...:grinpimp:

Still thinking of building a manifold?

I haven't managed to find a 3b man yet to copy without taking one off a truck. that simon liew fellers pm box was full when I tried to get a hold of him.

kinda freakish how little room there is inside a 70 engine bay

Last edited:
hey, had any thoughts about turbo manifolds?

I managed to cobble together a functional turbo out of goat droppings ,frog jerky and belly button lint...:grinpimp:

LOL. At least you can do something productive at the end of your work day. Mine usually consist of a pub or a box of beers somewhere...:rolleyes:
Having said that i did manage to pick up some weld-elbows and another welder to play with...

Still thinking of building a manifold?

Those isuzu 4bd1t's are on all those shovels i work on so i'll try and convince the mechanics to bring in a couple extras manifolds. Ah yes the powers of "whiskey persuasion" and deep pockets of the oil companies...:hillbilly:

I haven't managed to find a 3b man yet to copy without taking one off a truck. that simon liew fellers pm box was full when I tried to get a hold of him.

kinda freakish how little room there is inside a 70 engine bay
yeah they do seem a little crammed for some strange reason.

well quit typin, and get back to the whiskey persuading then son...:D

and if you have to a wear a dress, just grit your teeth, think of England and tell yourself it's for the greater good....:flipoff2:

well quit typin, and get back to the whiskey persuading then son...:D

and if you have to a wear a dress, just grit your teeth, think of England and tell yourself it's for the greater good....:flipoff2:

Meh... **** the english!!! I'll just throw the bottle in the middle of the shop floor and watch those dirty welders and mechanics have at it...

Reminds me, those spindles are still on the back deck for you to pick up next time you're in town, or wait til i'm back and we'll put a hurt on that leftover bottle of Oban that's in the cabinet.

Meh... **** the english!!! I'll just throw the bottle in the middle of the shop floor and watch those dirty welders and mechanics have at it...

Reminds me, those spindles are still on the back deck for you to pick up next time you're in town, or wait til i'm back and we'll put a hurt on that leftover bottle of Oban that's in the cabinet.

Oh Oban? When should I come over?

haha, well then, have a soothing plate of poutine...:flipoff2:

As for the spindles, I must say, option B definately sounds better....:beer:

When it comes to a 3b turbo manifold I have a CAD design that you can use. I had one waterjetted from stainless. Ken had one done on a oxy propane table from mild steel. We both have the designs. Just an option for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom