4runner brake booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to take the plunge and upgrade my brake system. I got the 4runner booster and t100 master over the weekend. I started to try and mount it last night but was having trouble with the upside down method described by a lot of you. The vacuum intake seemed to be in the way of the proportioning valve for the master cylinder. can any of you who have done the swap post some pics for me? Any of you guys mount it right side up and grind out some of the firewall?

Ive got the booster but have not installed it yet so I will follow this post for a view of what the problem is on installing

what exactly are you having trouble with? just rotate the can 180* and bolt it up. the vacuum don't care which end it's on- from my experience, the factory 4runner vac port was down and to the right(facing front of can) and I rotated 180* to put the port on the top left.

the bracket for the proportioning valve blocks the vacuum port on the bottom. The more threads I read for guys the more confused I get. It looks like some guys removed the proportioning valve completely and are running a residual pressure valve for the rear drum brakes.

I performed this swap and don't remember running into that problem. I will snap a shot of mine tonight and post it. Mine is a 62 I can't remember if you are doing it on a 60 although I think they are the same.

Thanks for the pictures Cruiser Ed. I didn't get a chance to wrench on it last night but I will try to fit it again tonight. I am still perplexed if I need the residual pressure valve. Shouldn't there be on already in the T100 master cylinder?

Ed, did it make a big difference in your braking?

Ed, did it make a big difference in your braking?

I did the 4runner caliper swap first then the 4runner brake booster. The 4runner calipers made the brakes a little "squishy" if that makes sense. The difference from the booster was huge. It took a while to get used to the extra power and my stops were very jerky. Now that I'm used to the feel it's been great.

browser5031, I did not change to the t100 master so I'm not sure if my pic is valid.

I am half tempted to get a fj60 master and bag the t100 for now. I have a fishing trip next weekend and have to get this thing operational.

The FJ60 master will net more braking power but a slightly longer pedal travel. The T100 master will loose braking power but offer a firmer pedal. I prefer more braking power.

The FJ60 master will net more braking power but a slightly longer pedal travel. The T100 master will loose braking power but offer a firmer pedal. I prefer more braking power.

I can confirm this. I got a T100 master from NAPA because thats all they had at the time... lost braking power -firm pedal feel-not in a good way.

Stick with the 60 master... Im going back to one. Aisin masters are not that expensive... ~$100

Hi Ed
I want stronger brakes on my hj61 and I think the best way will be to change of the booster.
could you please post the Toyota number from the four runners brake booster .

Hi Ed
I want stronger brakes on my hj61 and I think the best way will be to change of the booster.
could you please post the Toyota number from the four runners brake booster .

Sure, it was Cardone 53-2776. It's for a 1995 4runner WITHOUT antilock brakes.

I'm sure glad I took these pics when I did mine.

Thank you cruiser Ed
I have ordered the booster and it fit perfectly in my hj61.
The performance is way better than before and it feels much safer now :bounce:

P1010690.jpg

P1010694.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom