4link 5.0 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

got some paint on the cage need to order hip bar.got the front tie in done need to do the rear next. and all most done with leaf spring plate. then back to close up the big hole in the floor what fun

for got pics
IMGP1071.jpg
IMGP1070.jpg
IMGP1073.jpg

got more parts in and more on the way. new front and rear seat, dash ez wiring harness. hip bars tubed fenders stinger kit and winch plate. welded steering
box mount hope to be done with gas tank and shock mount by the weekend. then to start fenders and stinger its nice to get more parts now to find time hope to order psc steering in the next week or so
IMGP1081.jpg
IMGP1082.jpg
IMGP1085.jpg

Why is it that all cruiser guys use that style of steering box and dont just swap out to the IFS box that the mini guys run? Seems like it would be easier to get the drag link more parrallel to the axle instead of kicked off at some strange angle.

The Sag box swap is older than time itself, and it works well, sets inside the frame rails, keeps a low profile, and parts are everywhere for it. That's really why.

Folks were running Saginaw P/S before the 60 series PS system debuted, and long before the mini P/S, and has always been a cheaper choice because GM spits out parts like they're going out of style, or at least out of business...

It's also worth noting that the majority of aftermarket support for things like hydro assist rams are designed to fit Sag swaps, Hydro's really only become a common swap in the last decade, about the time Toyoda Automatic Loom started producing P/S boxes for Ford.

Last edited:
Also, IFS boxes have the pitmit arm swing in back of the gear so the required placement looks really stupid on an FJ40. Scout boxes are common which is a similar arrangement to the IFS box but with the pitmit in front, also fj60 and fj80 I believe. A consideration with using that style box is that the leaf springs can get into the drag link, so the one side's bump needs to be limited or do some frame notching. Also my saginaw system always seemed to be way more powerful that my mini trucks friends, i'm not sure if there is a large piston size differential, or if its just the difference in the pumps.

Also good points.

IIRC the pre-IFS Mini P/S setup is really similar to the 40-series P/S setup, IE, it's over-complicated and still relies on a damper/center-arm setup.

for the sake of returning to topic:

I definitely enjoy the potential in this build.
I'm pretty much against V8 swaps, but your choice of a solid Ford V8 has struck my fancy, and I really look forward to seeing this come together further!

Thanks you two put that great. Bustanutley do you have a pick of that frame notch or pic of what you did to yours. Did not think about the steering arm getting in to the frame thanks

Oh, I was talking about a scout sag setup, I have a TJ box on my truck, its a pretty similar install to yours, I placed the bottom of the box even with the bottom of the frame. :)

That B-pillar to spreader bar on the cage looks like a head knocker.

got rear shock in .run out of weld on tabs for gas tank mount. and a little more time and will have my oem inner fender welded to the metal tech then to the other side
IMGP1089.jpg
IMGP1091.jpg
IMGP1092.jpg

Proffitts cruiser 4 link kit and there spring over front. f150 2x4 coil springs

a little up date. metal tech stinger kit and winch plate, warn winch and a new front bumper.laid a new pice for sheet metal for rear floor.
photo.jpg

Get that pinion angle sorted ?
I would cut back the uppers 1 1/2" .

brooksy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom