4l30E transmission and diesel engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
I have a 92 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 with 4Jg2 engine and an Aisin Warner 4l30e trans. It is working great and has been for the last 100 k over 5 years.

The trans pan is rectangular unlike the one found on the North American gas troopers / rodeos of similar vintage.
The trans filter is also different from the ones one sees advertised for the NAmerican market.

A couple of questions:
1. I am finding it difficult to locate a filter and gasket kit in Vancouver BC. I know that Toyota uses these transmissions too, so am wondering if they also have a rectangular pan and similar filter with steel mesh only.
2. I would like to start gathering information on compatibility with other transmissions, rebuild kits, and mostly how to locate parts, because I imagine the trans will need overhaul in the next couple of years and I'd like to do it myself.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Hey, nice to hear someone else is driving one of these! Yours must be RHD? My highschool shop class is currently installing a 4jg2 and AW30-40LE into a 1994 gas Trooper.

I'ev found a good source for parts in the UK. Prices are good and shipping was not a problem, but they don't have much for auto trans.
Japanese 4x4 Parts and Accessories

I also found out that there are a few vehicles that used the AW30-40LE trans, such as the 1987-1989 Toyota Cressida. there are others, but I'll have to check my list at work.

I have PDF file which is an Aisin "training manual" for the AW30-40LE transmission. It includes info on rebulding etc. I have it at work so I'd be happy to email it to you.

Here's my problem:

I've have had absolutely NO luck in finding wiring diagrams and info on how to connect the 24 pin TCM to the stock wiring of the gas Trooper. We have the wiring loom and 24 pin TCM, but can't figure out how to connect the extra wires of the loom to the Trooper wiring. We have had the engine running, but have not yet tested the tranny. I know it will need TPS and RPM inputs to calculate shift points, among other things.

If there's any way you can help us with the wiring of this TCM module, I would be forever grateful!

Too bad we're on opposite side of the Country, I'm in Kitchener Ontario. Check out our blog at:

Rockway Tech Diesel Conversion

I'm the Tech teacher, look me up at www.rockway.ca and send me an email. I communicate much better that way.

Hope to hear from you!

Hi
Sorry this has taken me so long
Other jobs intervened, such as doing the timing belt and front seals

There are some guys down in Washington who did a similar project to yours, and they are on an Isuzu P'up forum.
I now suspect that I have a rear main seal oil leak so I would love some conversations around pulling the trans and what maintenance I should do on it once it is off. Last year I changed the filter and resealed the pan with Loctite 518, and it shifts beautifully . There were teeny amounts of filings on the magnets but I am not thinking about them.
I have no idea what to do about tcm wiring, sorry.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom