4bt drivability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could also go to The Diesel Depot (where I got mine) there's are 2300 plus shipping from georgia(GA to CA was 400) and there number is 1-478-552-9510

I have been researching this for about 4-5 months for all things related to the 4bt and it swaps into various rigs. It seems af if they are pretty mild in comparison to some swaps. I am purchasing a 95 4bt w/th400 from a local source for $2400. I plan to have the 400 rebuilt before I put it into my 40. The motor comes with a 5yr 100k warranty from the date of installation. The motor is a complete take out w/all accessories. I plan to convert my 4wh discs from power to a vette manual booster so I don't have to deal with the vaccum stuff. I didn't think that was to bad of a deal and my rpm's should be ok w/37's and 4.11's for about 65mph. I look forward to the LARGE improvement in gas mileage. I hope to get 20-25 mpg with this combo. I am very anxious for the orion to come out as that is going to be the t/case behind this combo. Sorry for the long post I am stoked about getting home so I can get after it. Thanks for all your help
Toycrusher

I was wondering where you guys with the 4bt's are. Any near Sacramento?

Dave

I'm up highway 4 in arnold(Past Angels camp) you could come up and we could hit up slick rock or ramsey trails

sometimes I'm down in turlock if you want to see the rig

Cool guys sorry I only make it over here once in a blue moon. I have about a thousand miles on the Cruiser now and I love it. I need to soundproof and I don't even have an exhaust (4 foot straight pipe that dumps under the truck right now) so it is loud. There are also several large holes in firewall than need to be plugged then I will spray some bedliner on the floor followed by either the factory plastic mat or a carpet and it should be more than barable. It is not too bad now, in fact I expected a lot more vibration and much worse noise but it does wear you out, but at the same time it is very cool. My engine is a '91 era and if you go up to a Dodge '91 w/ Cummins it actually sounds EXACTLY the same. Much quieter than a 24 valve but still pretty loud. Vibration, much worse than a 6BT but again I thought it would be much worse. Best part is...

23-25 MPG on average, plenty of power, literally unstallable. Flies up most hills with no lack of power. I do plan on turning it up slightly but I believe the high altitude affects it a little. And cruises at 85 with 35's and 4.11s on the freeway no problem at all. Runs will with stock radiator, not too hot but my dinky fan is not up to snuff so I am switching to a Taurus fan shortly... I could not be more pleased... Here is a photo of engine compartment. Was also much easier to install than a chevy V8, same bolt pattern and all. I recommend RPM estimates such as using the calc at tlca.org to see what your highway cruising speed is. It does not like to cruiser much faster than 2200 RPMS on the freeway at all and loves to be between 1800 and 2200 RPMs I would say... The NV4500 rocks, I have the later model with 5.6 first. Going up hills the step between 3rd and 4th is a little steep and so far that is my only complaint but I am used to it. Also boost rocks!
attachment.php

I could have told you that in january man. your behind the game. I'm rollin on 5000 and 6 months with no problems.

also, what elevation are you at and how much boost are you getting? I'm panning on some inectors and a govener spring soon

Calicruiser, do you have a number for fuel mileage yet? I believe you were using the ranger od instead of the NV4500 and you have a 40 vs a 55.

Is anybody else having trouble with Dieselcruiserhead's link to pirate 4x4?

the link isn't working for me either. and I calculated the mileage just the other day. 22 mpg with the torque splitter and thirty fives plus wheelin and being at or above 4000ft for that tank of fuel.

Anyone know if this top mount turbo on this Cummons 4bt would stll fit in a 40 without a body lift?..... no hood scoop suggestions either please.

You would need a body lift because the tube from my turbo to the intake is about 1/2-3/4 of an inch to the hood frame in the center. Or you could just cut the section out of the hood and it would look awesome. Everyone would know there was somethin special about your rig.

Does anyone know if the 4bt is the same engine that is in a 310E John Deere Back Hoe? They look identical if i remember correctly. I know the horse power/torque curves would be completly different.

Jesse

CruisenSurfin said:
Does anyone know if the 4bt is the same engine that is in a 310E John Deere Back Hoe? They look identical if i remember correctly. I know the horse power/torque curves would be completly different.

Jesse

I know the 4bt is in the case 580 backhoes

Nope Deere has Deere. But case uses Cummins.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom