4bt drivability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just gotten a project cruiser that I would like to go the 4bt route with. Researching this option, there's a lot of people talking bad about how loud these engines would be and how much vibration there is. What is your opinion of the noise and vibration. Is it too much for a daily driver? I can handle normal diesel noise but don't want something too excessive. These look like the perfect engines for mileage, size, and power.

Well I've been useing mine as a daily driver since I finished it in early jan. I drive 100miles a week to school and another 80 or so to the ski resort. The motor has your typical diesel, noise and vibration but nothing to extreme. I'm running straight exhaust right now and its just about as loud as when I had the 2f with a single chamber flowmaster on it. the vibration can easily be takin care of by useing some soft mounts and turning your idle up about 75rpms. The only thing that really bothers me now is the supension and thats about it. At the end of the day when I drive home its nice because you get a back massage all the way. The power and mileage make all the loudness go away. With the top off it may be a bit louder but it is bearable. I mean your driving a landcruiser, it isn't suposed to ride or sound like an H2 :D :D its just suposed to out wheel them :cheers:.

Cali i would be highly interested in MPG numbers?

also suspension is bothering you? whats wrong?

Well I've got the shackles up front still with heavy duty 4" springs(hard) and the roads to school aren't of the highest quality(tolume county sucks). Also I don't have a speedo right now but I'm guessing atleast 25 mpg. It's about 50 miles round trip to school and it uses alittle less than 1/4 tank and I pretty sure its a 12 gallon tank so you do the math. with some bigger tires(lower rpms at 55) i'll probably get better mileage, but I don't care, atleast i'm not getting 10mpg anymore and can pass a sbc in a cloud of smoke any time.

sorry alittle more than an 1/8 of a tank. and to further answer the first question it would be very quite a muffler.

hey dont mind me jumpin in here,,, i dont have diesel in my pig yet, but i have "test" drivien several different vehicles with different engines in them.
the 4BT is a rattly kind of loud, just like its brother the 6BT in the dodge trucks. if you can handle that its fine, it does vibrate and like cali said soft mounts help, but it is an industrial motor never meant for a road car/truck.
the absolute best engine i have driven to date for the combination power/noise/smoothness is the isuzu NPR 4 cyl diesel, wow. it has all kinds of power and is real smooth. i would go this route but its hard to adapt cause they quite making the SAE belhousing for it.
cpip do you have a 40?? i think another good option is the mercedes diesel, from the cars. its super duper smooth and quiet, i think it would be a good engine for a 40 but not enough for a wagon.

I do have a 40. My concern with the isuzu or mercedes is parts availability/price. Since the 4bt and 6bt share a lot of parts, I would think that it would be much easier and cheaper to get parts. But I don't any experience with isuzu or mercedes so I may be wrong about that.

Just a little something i heard. The new chevy duramax's (motor made by isuzu) to replace the injectors is like 5k but they are a very quit motor. just a bit of info.

I haven't spent enough time in mine to comment but it is not nearly as loud as I expected. I used softer mini truck motor mounts then drilled some holes through them and the metal motor mounts and put in some padded (rubber washers) with bolts through it to make them hold up. I have some tweaking to do but I get a mild buzz at the ass when idling but it is minimal and to be expected. When moving not noticable in the slightest vibration wise. Here is a photo:

http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/fj55/pics_dec703/motormount3.jpg
http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/fj55/021604/mount4.jpg

Rattling noise not too bad at all, the loudest for me is also the exhaust but I plan to have it in within a week or two...

I don't think it will be too bad, the engine is MUCH quieter than a 24valve Cummins, probably a little louder than a 12V earlier model. It has a different sound to it too. I think it will be fine if you are not expecting a smooth gas engine. I will report on this soon too as I am ready for some road time now :D

Andre

I think I will go with the 4BT. It's got what I'm looking for. What tranny/tc and diff gearing are you going to use?

hey dre,,,,i dont know if my advice was taken in or not, but i am sure happy to see you raised the engine.

Absolutely Clay noted and I am glad I did it. There is a good thread about it with photos etc on pirate... Came out great and I'm really glad I did it...

[quote author=dieselcruiserhead link=board=12;threadid=12895;start=msg124894#msg124894 date=1079926973]
Here are photos and details if anyone is interested...
[/quote]

Andre, where's the pics?

Hey guys, good to see another diesel thread.

My personal felt thoughts on this conversion is if you have a couple more bucks go toyota (3B, 13BT,12HT, 1HZ).

I have a marine 5.9 in the garage and it is plain and simple a tank when parked beside the 1HD-t.

Hard to beleive Yanmar which uses the 1HD-T engine block can produce the same HP as the cummins at different RPM. These engines are capable of much more than they boast.

I keep hearing the dread thought of a problem and parts availability, firstly the engines when cared for last a life time and secondly the parts are not hard to get for a reasonable price.

Damn I am ranting again :-X :-X.

Best of luck with your installation and which ever diesel you choose I am sure you will be very happy.

:D :D :D

Cheers.

Rob

[quote author=Radd Cruisers link=board=12;threadid=12895;start=msg125595#msg125595 date=1080026223]

I keep hearing the dread thought of a problem and parts availability, firstly the engines when cared for last a life time and secondly the parts are not hard to get for a reasonable price.

[/quote]

I agree. I've been able to get non-US/North American parts through a dealer in CA. Took a while but it's definitely possible.

Where do you find a 4BT at and how much would I expect to pay? I am tired of the 8-9mpg I get now with the 383. I dont drive alot of miles during the week but on weekends 2-3 hundred miles. Any info on a place to purchase one would be greatly appreciated. I plan to get one as soon as uncle sam lets me come home from the sand box.

They are in a lot of frito lay type delivery vans is you can find one cheap somewhere. There are also several diesel engine traders around the internet that have them used for generally around $2500. Follow that Andre Shoumatoff "Diesel Conversion Website" link on Dieselcruiserheads posts for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom