40 Build-up Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting my 40 back in the next few months and the wrenching will start. I've got some questions on what has worked for you guys so I know what works and what doesn't. Yes I have read many of the build up threads, I just wanted some opinions w/o having to reread them all.

I plan on running a GM V8( out of a donor vehicle), auto. tranny, but, not sure about whether to run the Orion and 80 axles or some domestic xfer and 60's (I do not want to run Rockwells). I'm also looking for measurements of assorted drivetrains to help with the design and axle placement.

I'll be using coilovers and a 4-link in the rear and 3-link in the front. Wheelbase will be determined later, but, somewhere in the 100" range. Pretty much everything in and on it will be getting scrapped just as soon as I can get to it.

This is to be a long term project for my 11 y/o son and me so there is no hurry. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row and happy to hear some opinions and besides I've still got my 80 to 'wheel in the meantime.

The one design parameter is the this thing evolves around a 40" tire. (Maybe.)

Thanks for any and all help,

Butch

You building a driver or a rock crawler?

can i jump in here?

I am a landcruiser virgin here, i know literally nothing but it has always been a dream, so one found its way into my garage. I cannot find a good image that shows me where all the bits and pieces lay (engine). the truck came with virtually no wiring, but a new Painless Wiring Harness, but in my haynes book, land crusier bible i cannot find a picture that will help me locate, identify small little pieces like my sending units for temp and oil. i dont know what has been added ripped out on top of all that, but she runs and that is a good start. anybody know where i can get my hands on a picture with labled parts for a original 2f 71 fj40?

thank you
upstream

Thread Hijack........let the Tooth Fairy steer this one :steer: upstream. Your questions are better answered in the 40/45 section.

Tooth Fairy - While everyone is going to have their opinions, my .02 would be to build it as big and bad as you think you might need. I started building up my stock LC axles and then have decided that I want tons. I would have been way ahead had I just built up the 60/14 in the first place, which brings me to my next point. Let your axles determine what t-case you want. If you want tons then go 205,300, atlas, etc. If you go LC axles, go 3speed, orion, toybox, etc. Regardless of what people tell you, you are probably going to change your mind a dozen times anyway cause you get a deal on this or like the looks of that. :bang: Welcome to the nightmare!

Thread Hijack........let the Tooth Fairy steer this one :steer: upstream. Your questions are better answered in the 40/45 section.

Thanks.
Tooth Fairy - While everyone is going to have their opinions, my .02 would be to build it as big and bad as you think you might need. I started building up my stock LC axles and then have decided that I want tons. I would have been way ahead had I just built up the 60/14 in the first place, which brings me to my next point. Let your axles determine what t-case you want. If you want tons then go 205,300, atlas, etc. If you go LC axles, go 3speed, orion, toybox, etc. Regardless of what people tell you, you are probably going to change your mind a dozen times anyway cause you get a deal on this or like the looks of that. :bang: Welcome to the nightmare!

$.02 is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for it too. I've been able to avoid this nightmare with this 40 for over 12 years now with a minor build on it with a somewhat stock drivetrain. I want this to be big now and I don't really care too much about having 'yota parts in it.

What I've come to today is running an Atlas and at least ProRock 60's. We'll have to see what happens when it comes down to it at the time. I am aware that I have opened the can'o worms and that's why I wanted to get some opinions exactly like yours to help me bang through some of this stuff.

This last summer when I pulled my 80 up to the trailhead for Carnage and decided that there was noo way my 80 was going to go up that (did Chinaman instead) and that my 40 in it's current status could do it. Then I thought about how much more fun would it be to take the 40 down to the frame, start over and then do it the way I always wanted to in the first place. Build it big.

Next?

Here is another option.
Cruiser-Trailer.jpg

With those 2 things determined the rest is just details :beer:

Carnage BV isn't that hard but there is no way I would stick an 80 in it.

I know there are harder trails put there for sure and like I said I could do that in my 40 as is. That being said there is no reason to trash my 80 on that when I've got this 40 sittin' around. I just want to do some harder stuff and I really like the idea of a top end built trail rig.

Nutley what are you running? Are you close to me?

Jay. WTF is wrong with you?

B

what do you mean "what are you running"

not trying to insault you just agree with your decision not to stick an 80 on that trail, I could see it getting lodged in the vrock somthing fierce

Last edited:
Post some pics sounds Bas @$$. Good Luck

Mace,
Building a crawler. Sorry I didn't respond to that sooner. I also want this thing to be able to go wicked fast off of the rocks too so it's going to have a lot of power and I really am not into breaking parts. The body I don't care so much about, but, it'll still need to look like it's a real 40.

Nutley,
I didn't take offense at what you said. Quite the opposite. Too bad while typing tone of voice can't be heard. What I was meant by what are you running is what drivetrain do you have in the 40 engine to axles, but, I just looked at your link and I got it now. I'm around Kipling and Ken Caryl. Let's go wheelin' sometime. :D

Jonny,
I'll start with some pics when I get it back from my dad. This thing has been rodent modified, weather beat, hacked at by my dad in all ways imaginable and has been hooked to a trailer with a water tank on it for the past 3 years almost. Basically it looks like crap and I'm a little afraid to get it back and let it into my garage, so, don't expect pretty pics. ;)

few corrections to my link: 30 spline longs, 40s, and i'm sticking an atlas in as soon as it gets here, rear axle is going to be new gen taco. Wish I could afford to do prorocks, thats hot, but the yota axles for the most part have treated me right.

big motor and big axles then.. Fast in the rocks = coilovers or airshocks...

Coilovers for sure. I want it tuned up just right and that might take some tweeking. I am really leaning LS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom