4 lo light on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2013 4lo light is on, says matainence required. Any ideas checked all switches everything good. Was thinking someone has experienced this before i take to dealer.

Try flipping switch to 4lo with engine running, wait a couple seconds turn engine off. Restart engine with switch still in 4lo, move to 4hi. If light is still on, turn engine off and then restart engine. That will reset it most of the time whether the transfer case actuates or not. The CDL can have this behavior as well. Definitely a gremlin many 200's acquire over time from what I found in the search when I had that problem. Mine did that when I first bought it and 4lo had not been used in awhile (if ever). After regular use in the first month things started to normalize.

Sidebar:
The 4lo, CDL and VSC Off lights can be a little random on the 200 from what I saw searching back through the archives. Our 2016 has been flawless but our '08 200 appears to not be aging as gracefully as our 100's with much more age and mileage. It is an insignificant sample size of course but that has no less of an effect on what I'm seeing/experiencing with our older 200.

We leave for a 5000mi trip to NM,AZ,UT at the end of this month and I was planning on taking the '08. I've basically come to the conclusion if I have one more stupid light come on that the '08 is headed to CarMax and either the '16 or the trusty 100 will be handling this trip.

Might need to roll the truck a few feet to get the 4HI/4LO to fully engage or disengage. I had to do this the other day when I was testing my '11 for purchase decision. Light was blinking and beeping until I moved it a few feet very slowly.

x3. Mine is a little flaky when I don't use it enough. I'd give it a chance before I paid a stealership to start replacing parts.

Is there any benefit to rolling it backwards to swap from 4lo/hi, etc? I know that most old trucks needed this, it made them shift a lot quicker

The rolling backwards was mainly a function of unlocking hubs back in the day. Manual hubs you would have to do that before you could get them to unlock at times and when the automatic hubs first came out they also need that help sometimes too. My first 4Runner was like that, man that was a good truck!

My experience is that the position sensor tends to collect trash (from somewhere) and refuses to be sensey. Removing and cleaning it would probably do the trick, but I'm too lazy and have other, more pressing, fish to fry (like the leaking sunroof on my 95). Mine fixed itself after the not-winter we had in Charlotte, so I've been faithfully pretending to wheel in the back forty once a month to keep it happy.

IIRC, the owner's manual says to make figure eight's to promote disengagement. I don't, but I can't see that it would hurt.

took to dealership. they said the gas cap wasnt sealing correctly and send the computer signals. 33 dollars later and no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom