3rd Row Delete And Rear Drawer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KNR

Threads
I finally got around to documenting my rear base plate and drawer build. I used 1/4" aluminum for the base plate, top plate, front and side wings. The box frame was made with Tnutz extrusions. The drawer boxes are galvanized metal. Front latch was a goose gear latch. I drew up the base plate, top plate, top wings in CAD and was able to use our companies laser cuter to cut it out. I used existing threaded locations, and added Rivnuts to open holes. The only shimming that was needed was along the rear door edge and center. I used rod couplings to shim the center portion. For the front wings I did a cardboard template and cut the metal with a bandsaw. It is still a little work in progress. I need to figure out the hinges for the top. I'm using duct tape which actually is working great lol. The drawer system is I believe 9" tall total which gives me about 7-1/2" of usuable drawer space with the extrusions. This puts me pretty close to flush with the rear seats folded down. I left the drawer box short of the rear seat. This will eventually be the house power section, but am currently using it to hold recovery gear, and with my drivers side rear seat pushed forward, my fridge fits perfectly in width depth and height. That was a bit of a lucky thing.

I'll Start with a PDF of what I cut out for the top and base plate and follow with photos. The scale for the PDF's are 6"=1'

Attachments

• Aluminum Base Plate.pdf
    7.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Aluminum Top Plate.pdf
    7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Here are some photos starting with the base plate. The brasse parts are the rivnuts to hold down the drawer box. I wrapped the electrical going under the base plate with plastic wire wrap so there wouldn't be any where through the wires.

Base Plate 1.jpg

Base Plate 2.jpg

Base Plate 3.jpg

Base Plate Front Left.jpg

Base Plate Front Right.jpg

Last edited:
what an awesome thing you created! Would you be able to share the laser cutter file for the base plate? i just want that to build my custom setup.

Was that all aluminum?

Was that all aluminum?
Ya, Probably overkill, but it allowed me to keep everything thin to maximize space and I had some other projects I used the sheet for. I also fab'd a roof rack based on the uptop overland rack. I still have about a 4'x4' piece left

Rack.jpg

There was still a little final grinding and I countersunk all the holes. I've attached the DXF that was used to cut.
I just opened your DXF in SolidWorks. Wow! Very detailed template!
What did you use to transfer all the intricate cut-outs? Just carefully measure and cut?

I just opened your DXF in SolidWorks. Wow! Very detailed template!
What did you use to transfer all the intricate cut-outs? Just carefully measure and cut?
I have access to a 3d scanner at work so the initial layout was based on the scan. From there I printed out the pattern on large sheets of paper to make adjustments and made notes. Final template was two rounds with light gauge sheet metal to make sure the bolts aligned with factory holes. Once I was happy with it, burned it out of the Aluminum.

I have access to a 3d scanner at work so the initial layout was based on the scan. From there I printed out the pattern on large sheets of paper to make adjustments and made notes. Final template was two rounds with light gauge sheet metal to make sure the bolts aligned with factory holes. Once I was happy with it, burned it out of the Aluminum.
Metal patterns and aluminum were cut on a laser table at work directly from the DXF

Awesome build and thanks for sharing the file! I have a CNC plasma at work, not as nice as a laser but should do the job.
Having a scanner is sweet. By chance did you build your racks? I’m about to start designing one for myself.

Awesome build and thanks for sharing the file! I have a CNC plasma at work, not as nice as a laser but should do the job.
Having a scanner is sweet. By chance did you build your racks? I’m about to start designing one for myself.
Yeah. Cut it out of the same sheet. There ended up being quite a bit more post laser adjustment then I was hoping for. Some band saw and grinding. I never went back and modified my file so that was left as a little work in progress. Mostly along the front of the rack and the gap at the front door. It is made of the 2 side rails, 48.5 wide extrusions and 4x4 angle. The front fairing was a left over piece of aluminum that I hand cut for a sample. Was a bit rough there

Got the baseplate and drawers back in. I pulled it out so I could finish it up. I had already Killmat'd the entire rear portion. This weekend I put 3M thinsulate under the plate and bed lined the plate. Not thrilled with my rattle can bed liner skills but it came out nice. I also put thinsulate in behind the rear tire well plastic. For the top, I'm going to keep it unfinished and have a carpet made similar to the lexus factory one that will be velcroed down with slots in it where my plate is slotted and alligned to the extrusion. I can use those slots as anchor points. Still need to figure out how I want the side hinges done. There is about a 8-10" gap behind the drawers and the seats. currently it fits my Alpicool fridge perfectly and makes it totally flat. Going with that for now, but that will probably turn into my power and compressor storage area.

Rear Baseplate Finished.jpg

Rear Drawer Finished.jpg

Rear No Plate.jpg

Rear With Thinsulate.jpg

Rear Drawer Finished with carpet.jpg

Inspiring build. Piano hinges seem good for the side wings.
I'll do something similar but with wood.
Do you have a photo with the drawers fully opened? Long slides fro full access I assume?

Perhaps you should consider competing with Goose Gear on selling that Base Plate. I would be interested in knowing how much it would cost to get the Base Plate + the risers and other attachments you have. Looks like a solid and sturdy setup.

I was going to go right to drawers but I decided on a cargo floor first. I'm considering a removable sleeping platform that locks onto it that I stow bags with gear under instead of the need for full drawers.

20220109_181441.jpg

I really like your mounting platform!
Then you can configure as you like, drawers on the left? Maybe on the right? What side are you in the mood to sleep on through this trip??
The ability to configure for each trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom