3rd gen tailgates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why are so many of the tailgates on the (2rd) oops I meant 3rd gen 4runners rusted so badly? I have seen too many that have serious holes in them.

Are clean used gates easy or hard to find?

Edit: Oops, that should have read 3rd gen...I already knew first hand about the 2nd gen gates :(

Last edited:
Sooo...is this about 2nd gen or 3rd gen tailgates then?

I believe used tailgates are easy to find if you don't live in the "rust belt", lol. Anywhere they use salt on the ground, you're going to see this kind of thing.

Yes I can find them in the west.... not much salt used here and very dry.
Did the runner you went to look at have some rot on the back gate?

When I lived in Toronto area for 4 years I then understood what humidity and road salt did to vehicles. I even oiled my vehicles down there each autumn and still rust:(

I would take a 15 year old southern alberta 4Runner over a 4 year old southern Ontario 4Runner any day!
Attached are 2 pics of the underside of my 96 4Runner driven year round in SouthEastern Alberta with 330,000 km on it. Shocks and muffler are perhaps still original !
underside from front.jpg
underside from back.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I can find them in the west.... not much salt used here and very dry.
Did the runner you went to look at have some rot on the back gate?

When I lived in Toronto area for 4 years I then understood what humidity and road salt did to vehicles. I even oiled my vehicles down there each autumn and still rust:(

I would take a 15 year old southern alberta 4Runner over a 4 year old southern Ontario 4Runner any day!
Attached are 2 pics of the underside of my 96 4Runner driven year round in SouthEastern Alberta with 330,000 km on it. Shocks and muffler are perhaps still original !

Wow...I had no idea...I mean I figured that there would be a difference, but not that much :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom