"3rd gen" rear axle housing - parking brake, backing plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a picture of a non molested '86-'88 pick up or '86-'89 4runner rear axle?

I'm trying to figure out the stock parking brake route/mounting situation and what parking brake cable I need for my rear axle. My parking brake bell cranks are on the bottom of the backing plates. And the cable housing is flopping in the wind not secured hanging over the housing. The width of my housing suggests its 86-88 pick up 86-89 4runner.

Thanks in advance.

Pics?
86-95 bell cranks on top.
90-95 4runner uses cable pulls out the bottom.
95.5+ taco/4runner the bell crank is on the lower portion.

Heres an 86-95

Screenshot_20220118-045005.png

That is an acceptable molestation of rear axle...thats super sweet.

Well my junk definitely isnt taco width. My housing flange to flange measurement is pretty much an 88ish according to the internet. Arent the 2nd and 3rd gen IFS rear diffs a half inch different?

Theres a different part # between an 88 and 92 4wd rear parking brake cable. Might just have to purchase

But if those were factory top bell crank then the cable might not be long enough to situate it for bottom bell crank. My current cable looks like yours, but isnt mounted like yours. Its just flopping in the wind and hooked up to the bell cranks.

I'll take a pic after work.

Bell cranks arent installed but they more or less mouny parallel to the ground.

In the midst of doing a lspv delete and redoing the rear brakes.

20220118_170321.jpg

20220118_170339.jpg

20220118_170429.jpg

Yea that’s not an “IFS” housing. At least not like the three I have which I believe all came from 85-89 4runner/pickups. All my backing plates and bell ranks look like the picture gnob posted.

My Tacoma and tundra both had bell cranks parallel to the ground like that. I’ve not seen a pre 85 rear in a while so no help there.

If its ifs width, its ifs width. Those backing plates interchange.
Pretty sure the vent on ds says its not 95.5+.
OP. The easiest thing to do is find ifs backing plates. Idt a taco cable will interchange because the length and it was originally on the DS.

Hmm... wonder if I can cobble something together to run these backing plates. Having the upright mounted bellcranks looks like theyd run directly into the side of my leaf spring.

They typically do. The "uprights" that guide mine are built taller and my ends are clocked. Otherwise they definitely drag on the leafs.

Look at 96-02 taco/4runner bits.

Ya....I'll redo drums and get the bell cranks intalled and see where I'm at in the cable department. Yours looks like it has an extension on it.... gave me an idea to run either a long cable or extend a short cable. Potentially build a stand off with a pulley somewhere to redirect the cable or take up slack.

I might be down the rabbit hole on this a bit. I'm not sure how much I want to spend on these drums, although I dont have anything against properly working and maintained drums.

When working and maintained, do these drums work well enough and does the E brake hold a 35's on an incline?

Im either going to spend the money and do the drums properly, or cobble and do disc brakes later.

FWIW: My old '84's p-brake cable routing:
i-GX2H5W2-L.jpg

The cables lightly 'sawed' on the tops of those GM63 main leafs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom