3FE stalling after a few miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie here. Got my 92 a year ago and has 2 lingering issues and might be related;

1st issue - When I got it a year ago, it has somewhat a turbo effect as I've read in some of the threads. I feel power kicks in a few seconds and the rpm surges and revert back to its natural state which is sluggish and heavy. Did basic base lining and replaced all hoses and heater valve.

2nd issue - Developed stalling issues a 3 months ago which gotten worse now. When it developed, power just cuts off a few seconds like my RPMs would die a second and come back alive and doesn't stall at all during stop and go traffic. Since then, I replaced the following;

Fuel filter, fuel cannister, fuel pump, fuel sock and fuel pressure regulator
Spark plugs, wires and rotor, PCV valve and grommet
Throttle position sensor
OEM intake tubes as I developed an idling issue and this solved it.

Moving forward, issue persisted but gotten worse a few weeks ago as I am now stalling at full stop. Since then, I also replaced the following;

EFI relay been replacing it as it tends to get hot and after stalling, I just replace it and drive a few miles again before it sputters and stalls again.
Fuseable link
Check battery connections

I've ask to check the wiring under the fuse box and looks like nothing is corroded like the connectors, wiring harness that runs on the EGR and shop did check multi-meter and checks out fine. Last thing I replaced, a few days ago was the AFM which I got from a dismantler (used) and drove it a few miles and it hasn't stalled yet but I'm not counting on it, lol. My rpms are a bit high though. If issues persist, what else have I missed as I've read all possible issues here on MUD relative to 3FE stalling issues.

Thanks

It could very well have been a faulty AFM, especially if someone removed the 2 Philips screws on the side of the connector and tried to remove it.
The switch on the AFM flap runs the fuel pump logic.
Hi Jon,

I recall the issue on stalling started when I installed the snorkel, air intake tube and while im at it, replaced the air filter. I might have loosened up something during this process. I'll report back. Thanks

Just an update on my lingering stalling issue. Replaced AFM, igniter and rewired the rewired fuse box harness didnt resolve this issue. We opted to check the distributor assembly (Cardone) which was replaced by previous owner in 2019. Looks like it is the culprit as so far (fingers crossed) no stalling and power seems to improve. My turbo effect seems to be gone as well. Hope this finally ends may saga.

Prior to this, I replaced the following

Fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel sock, fuel cannister, intake boot, AFM, igniter, wires, rotor and cap, TPS, fuseable link, pcv valve and did baselining by replacing all hoses, fan clutch, adjust throttle cable, etc.

All good that most parts were replaced and got extra ones on my parts bin, lol.

I have the same exact problem 1992 3FE. Did you ever figure out? I FSM specs on afm,tps,fuel regulator. Installed new fuel pump, fuel filter, 02 sensor. Once my cat reaches temperature it will stall but sometimes the cats get really hot like its getting too much fuel. My last suspect is the fuel damper. How does it fail and when it fails what are the symptoms?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom