3FE rocker arm assembly.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I am in need of some advice towards my 3FE. I am just finishing changing cam and crank gears on my 1991 3FE due to a drive plate gasket leak. Anyways, I just put the rocker arm assembly back on the head, and noticed there is no spring or clip on the end of the NO. 6 rocker arm to retain it. In fact I can remove the rocker arm off the shaft when there is no tension on it, this jumped out at me as very dangerous. This is the first time I've had the valve cover off this motor, the rocker assembly came out the same way, and there was no clip or spring anywhere to be found. The service manual show one decent picture, and it looks like there is some kind of clip, but it's hard to tell. Anyways, if anyone has a spare one they could look at or has done this before please let me know!

Here are some pictures:
rocker.JPG

rocker1.JPG

If you can go to the dealer see if their microfish shows anything. Is the pushrod end and valve stem end of the rocker self capture? Meaning that once the valvetrain is assembled the rocker can't slide off. Some vehicles have notches or cupped rocker ends to contain it. But if you can pull the rocker arm off while installed then something is wrong....:confused:

I just had the valve cover of my91 3fe there is a spring there, call up your dealear and order one for sure..

Yup, there's supposed to be a spring clip retainer there, one on both ends of the shaft.

From the EPC:

3FE_Rockers.gif

#13901C:
90524-15008 SPRING, RETAINER (FOR VALVE ROCKER SHAFT)

Thanks a lot guys. I drove this 3FE like this for about a year like this, pretty amazing nothing happened. I'll order the parts on Monday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom