3FE Power Steering Hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know where I can find the low pressure power steering hose? ( I think this is the one ). It's cracked at the wire clamps and slightly dripping PS fluid.
The other hose doesn't have any wire clamps which I'm assuming is the high pressure side.

I tried looking at the Toyota parts diagram but it's looking like the hard lines themselves are discontinued and nothing for the rubber hoses, I'm just looking for the rubber hose piece.
Thanks!

Honestly have no idea what lengths you need for your 3FE rig, but you need something like this:

(This is kit is for a 1FZ rig)

You can get hydraulic hose in bulk from a local parts store to cut to the proper lengths that you need. Just make sure that you dont use any standard emissions/coolant bulk hose, and that you get proper hydraulic hose.

@jonheld is also the guy to ask about 3FE rigs.

Does anyone know where I can find the low pressure power steering hose? ( I think this is the one ). It's cracked at the wire clamps and slightly dripping PS fluid.
The other hose doesn't have any wire clamps which I'm assuming is the high pressure side.

I tried looking at the Toyota parts diagram but it's looking like the hard lines themselves are discontinued and nothing for the rubber hoses, I'm just looking for the rubber hose piece.
Thanks!
For the low pressure side you can use 3/8" fuel line or hydraulic hose cut to length. As long as the hose is compatible with the fluid you'll be fine.

For the low pressure side you can use 3/8" fuel line or hydraulic hose cut to length. As long as the hose is compatible with the fluid you'll be fine.

Awesome, thanks! I'm assuming I'll need to bleed the power steering after installing the new line. Is this the correct way?

"The proper way to bleed this system is to put the front end on jack stands, start the motor, take the cap off of the reservoir and turn the wheels back and forth to their full capacity about 3-4 times. You will need to check your reservoir between each one and see if you need to add fluid. Once this is done, it should be bled."

Found this on another thread but not sure if it's easier to just park it on ramps or a hill and just point it up and turn the wheels.

LOL, folks love to swing dead chickens over their heads to bleed a system that self bleeds. I could never understand this.

Install the hoses, fill the reservoir and put the cap on, or you'll just make a mess.
1. Start the engine for a second or 2 and shut down. Check level in the reservoir and add fluid as needed. Lather rinse repeat until the level is stable.

2. With the engine running, turn left and right lock to lock. Turn off engine and check level. Add fluid as need and drive away. Check fluid level after your first drive and check for leaks. Done.

LOL, folks love to swing dead chickens over their heads to bleed a system that self bleeds. I could never understand this.

Install the hoses, fill the reservoir and put the cap on, or you'll just make a mess.
1. Start the engine for a second or 2 and shut down. Check level in the reservoir and add fluid as needed. Lather rinse repeat until the level is stable.

2. With the engine running, turn left and right lock to lock. Turn off engine and check level. Add fluid as need and drive away. Check fluid level after your first drive and check for leaks. Done.

Awesome, easy enough! Thanks again @jonheld !

Exactly.

If anything jackstands under the rear of the truck makes more sense than the front anyway.

I changed the hose and made sure it was filled up to the proper level. Now there are no leaks but I noticed then when I crank the wheel all the way to the other side there is some whining. Does this mean the PS is on the way out now?

I changed the hose and made sure it was filled up to the proper level. Now there are no leaks but I noticed then when I crank the wheel all the way to the other side there is some whining. Does this mean the PS is on the way out now?
Is the PS "whining" or is the belt slipping?
There is going to be a 'straining" sound on the pump when cranking it at full lock. That's pretty normal for any PS system.
Can you turn from lock to lock without issue?

Is the PS "whining" or is the belt slipping?
There is going to be a 'straining" sound on the pump when cranking it at full lock. That's pretty normal for any PS system.
Can you turn from lock to lock without issue?

I can turn from lock to lock without issue. It wasn't whining before when I locked it at one side, but maybe I wasn't aware of it.

The belt is not slipping.

Is the fluid foamy?
Is it at the full mark?

Fluid is full and not foamy. It is brown rather than the pink stuff that I filled it up with. Dexron 4 ATF in a blue bottle. Should be noted that I only filled it up and did not flush the system.

Fluid is full and not foamy. It is brown rather than the pink stuff that I filled it up with. Dexron 4 ATF in a blue bottle. Should be noted that I only filled it up and did not flush the system.
Brown is not the right color and neither is pink.
ATF should be a deep candy red.
I would do a few drain and refills because it sounds like there's some incompatibility between the 2 fluids.

Hmmm.... Yea maybe it was closer to red than pink. This is the stuff I used : Valvoline DEX/MERC Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Gallon - Walmart.com

What's the best way to flush this? Disconnect the return line and turn the engine on?
Not unless you really want to make a mess.
You could simply remove the lines off the steering box and drain it into a catch pan, or use the turkey baster method and remove what's in the reservoir and refill a bunch of times until it's the correct color.

I noticed that my power steering still whines ( high pitched squeal) but only when it's cold - I e. Coming out of my garage. After warming up it doesn't whine at all.

Any thoughts on this? Definitely doesn't inspire confidence from my SO.

You sure you're not low on fluid?

Hi Jon,

Yes 100% positive. Double checked and filled it up to the high mark.
Is it possible that the belt could be slipping when I crank the wheel all the way to one side? I'm suspect that it's belt slippage because if this were the case it would happen if hot or cold...

This video shows the exact same issue I'm having on a Mazda. Apparently this user got the issue fixed under warranty:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom