3F Carb Float Height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Afternoon All,
My carb issues continue on my FJ80. I know this is a 60 forum but it’s a 91 3F Carb Aus version. Not the 3FE one. I thought you good people might have more experience of the carb. Anyway chasing hesitation and have done the usual vac leaks, timing, valve clearance, PCV valve etc. Took it to a carb ‘guru’ who found a worn needle seat area rebut with a Chinese top/float body section. OEM Toyo bottom carb.

Now starts fine cold or hot, runs fine for about 20-30mins then will randomly miss, stumble, drop revs, backfire and sometime die. Can’t accelerate past it, will drop revs stumble then pick up sometimes. Sometimes cut out. Sit for 10 secs, crank and away she goes good as gold.

Much head scratching and I found that in the carb sight glass the petrol level is below the bottom lip of glass. Always was in the middle before the rebuild. I’m thinking the guru didn’t alter the tabs on the float to get the right spec. My question is how much of a job to get into carb and bend the little tabs a bit to make bowl fill to correct level?
Cheers

So if I got this clear, FJ80 3F w/ a carb? Funky. Maybe try an Okie Rebuild, look it up, that might tell you if you have a crack in your manifold. (If the bones are set up like a 60 w/ a manifold). What IS your vac reading?

Sorry, your question is tweaking the float tangs. Very easy tho I only know the 60. On a 60 yoyd remove the air cleaner then only the top horn of the carb... 7-8 small screws. Will have to remove the choke cable and the lever for the acc pump then it will lift off and tang will be right under it. Should be the same depth as a paper match.

Replace the fuel filter
  1. Tell your carb "guru" that he set the float level too low. Ask him to fix his blunder.
  2. Once the float level is set correctly take it for a test drive (with new fuel filter). If the engine is still bogging, replace the fuel pump. They don't last forever.
Install a vacuum gauge so you can see it in the cab. Take note what it's doing when the engine is acting up

Replace the fuel filter
  1. Tell your carb "guru" that he set the float level too low. Ask him to fix his blunder.
  2. Once the float level is set correctly take it for a test drive (with new fuel filter). If the engine is still bogging, replace the fuel pump. They don't last forever.
Install a vacuum gauge so you can see it in the cab. Take note what it's doing when the engine is acting up

Thanks all. The fuel filter was replaced only a few months ago. Any other reason I should replace now? I thought of the fuel pump but it wasn’t behaving like this prior. Will add to list.

There's also a small metal filter upstream of the carburetor needle valve - in the carb. Examine that again when the carb top comes off to readjust the float level.

Make sure the tank isn’t full of crud.
Yes be sure to peer into the gas fill, squint your eye and you might see to the bottom.
Honestly how is he going to do that w/o a scope (maybe he has one) or a more extensive approach?

Yes be sure to peer into the gas fill, squint your eye and you might see to the bottom.
Honestly how is he going to do that w/o a scope (maybe he has one) or a more extensive approach?

The 80 has a hatch in the tank under back seat where the float for the gauge is. You can open it up and get to the fuel sock on end. But it wasn’t doing anything like this prior to rebuild.

Good to know, sorry. I’m always a tad irritated by suggestions that aren’t simple.

You could have your carb guy do it but personally if I get burned once I’d rather deal w/ it myself thereafter. Do you have a book for what the spec amount is? And def while your there check that filter too for the fuel cut solenoid... guessing it has that like a 60 carb.

Sometimes repairs or fixes or diagnosing issues aren’t simple, lol. If it were the case, we would all just say “did you try praying?”
I get that 110% but checking out the inside of a gas tank for a stumble that wasn’t there before the carb was messed with... it’s a tad extreme. Fuel filter would be a worthwhile stretch. Tank thereafter.

You could have your carb guy do it but personally if I get burned once I’d rather deal w/ it myself thereafter. Do you have a book for what the spec amount is? And def while your there check that filter too for the fuel cut solenoid... guessing it has that like a 60 carb.
[/QUOTE

This 100%. I’ve got the book for the spec but just don’t have the time atm. There is an old school place nearby does a lot of resto work on Mustangs, Bettles etc. I’m going to suss them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom