300 GR Sport Launch Edition spotted at 2023 Chicago Auto Show (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just wanted to update you guys: my local dealership confirmed they will be available for 2024. I just put down a non-refundable $1,000 deposit and provided my top 3 color choices. Basically when they get a land cruiser allocation I can either accept it or pass depending on what comes in. Unfortunately they aren't letting me spec out exactly what I'd want. I also have to pay MSRP without any discounts. Going with the bronze of graphite exterior and beige interior!!

Just wanted to update you guys: my local dealership confirmed they will be available for 2024. I just put down a non-refundable $1,000 deposit and provided my top 3 color choices. Basically when they get a land cruiser allocation I can either accept it or pass depending on what comes in. Unfortunately they aren't letting me spec out exactly what I'd want. I also have to pay MSRP without any discounts. Going with the bronze of graphite exterior and beige interior!!
Interesting. How do you know what exterior colors and interior finishes will be available already? Is there a brochure or a list of selections for you to provide your top 3 color choices?

I just e-mailed my local Toyota dealer about the new land cruiser and they said they could now take a deposit for a new one.

Remember- its a non refundable? deposit with a CAR dealer. Don’t be surprised when the ‘next land cruiser’ doesn’t materialize but they have ‘something similar’ on the lot.

They had zero information. I went on the 300 series Australia website and just assumed the same choices would be on the new land cruiser available in the US.

Hey guys I have some very interesting news. I just e-mailed my local Toyota dealer about the new land cruiser and they said they could now take a deposit for a new one. I'm not sure if this means exactly but they said I would be first on the list for a new one.
Unfortunately I don’t think this means much. Also don’t know if this means prado or 300.

Dang they are out for $$ deposits already?? It won’t be a 300. General YouTube sniffing would tell you that. Those videos are usually, if not 99% on track. Smaller platform…could share with GX, Prado, NG Tacoma. Possibly not even a 6 cylinder. That’s what I’ve gleaned from about 30 minutes of video watching the past week.

I had my dealer tell me about a month ago that the Land Cruiser was coming to the US market (I'm in Canada). I've had two GM's tell me the same thing, although they didn't have much for details other than the fact it's coming. Just have to cross my fingers and wait and see I suppose, they put me down for one so if they do come to market at least I'm top of the list. Didn't require a deposit, although we get a lot of vehicles from our dealer and they've always been really good with us so I have no reason to doubt what they're saying.

:popcorn:

CarScoops article is updated.

"Update: Toyota informed us that it won’t display the new Land Cruiser GR Sport at the 2023 Chicago Auto Show, without providing an explanation for why the vehicle is in the US."

IMO there is no room for a Land Cruiser in the current Toyota lineup. They barely sold any when the next best thing was an old ass egg shaped Sequoia. Now they have the new Sequoia with TRD packages based off TNGA-F. You seen what Dissent did to one? They also just released another 3 row SUV called the Grand Highlander. The new 4Runner will be here soon. So a Land Cruiser would have to slot above a 4Runner, Sequoia and Grand Highlander? It would sell even less than a 200 series.

We'll get "a" Land Cruiser in the form of a Prado (GX). We just won't get "the" Land Cruiser.

IMO there is no room for a Land Cruiser in the current Toyota lineup. They barely sold any when the next best thing was an old ass egg shaped Sequoia. Now they have the new Sequoia with TRD packages based off TNGA-F. You seen what Dissent did to one? They also just released another 3 row SUV called the Grand Highlander. The new 4Runner will be here soon. So a Land Cruiser would have to slot above a 4Runner, Sequoia and Grand Highlander? It would sell even less than a 200 series.

We'll get "a" Land Cruiser in the form of a Prado (GX). We just won't get "the" Land Cruiser.

Product planner.

Given Toyota did zero marketing for the Land Cruiser for well over a decade they still managed to sell quite a few each year in the US. Imagine if they had continued their marketing campaign in magazines like National Geographic like they did for the 80 and 100.

Given Toyota did zero marketing for the Land Cruiser for well over a decade they still managed to sell quite a few each year in the US. Imagine if they had continued their marketing campaign in magazines like National Geographic like they did for the 80 and 100.

Different times and this is a very different Toyota. They're not so interested in making products of passion anymore rather they're interested in making products that make money. The Land Cruiser name doesn't mean as much as it used to to the general public. 4Runners, Tacomas, Tundras, RAV4's and Highlanders sell themselves with zero marketing. Have you seen an ad or anything resembling marketing for the Sequoia? What makes you think they're willing to roll out the red carpet for the Land Cruiser and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in marketing for a product that barely moved 3k units a year? Toyota is a financial company that just happens to make cars.

Different times and this is a very different Toyota. They're not so interested in making products of passion anymore rather they're interested in making products that make money. The Land Cruiser name doesn't mean as much as it used to to the general public. 4Runners, Tacomas, Tundras, RAV4's and Highlanders sell themselves with zero marketing. Have you seen an ad or anything resembling marketing for the Sequoia? What makes you think they're willing to roll out the red carpet for the Land Cruiser and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in marketing for a product that barely moved 3k units a year? Toyota is a financial company that just happens to make cars.
Toyota had always been a financial company rather than an engineering (like Honda) or passion (Porsche) company. Around here I have seen a lot of TV ads for Tundras, Sequoias, Camrys, etc. i see print ads all the time as well. In the past every issue of National Geographic had a Toyota ad for the Pickup/Tacoma or the Land Cruiser.

They also need to make periodic updates so they can get sponsored content reviews from Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Truck Trend, etc.

Without these vehicles become invisible.

I doubt it. Looking at Toyota Australias site, the GR Sport is a step down from the fully loaded Sahara ZX version. At $154,000 AUD, which is $108k USD and $4k more than the LX600 'F Sport Handling'. I've seen no indication from anywhere if the GR Sport has factory locking diff(s) or not.

Personally, I want to see Toyota bring something out that competes more directly with the Bronco Sasquatch and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
  • Removable top
  • 4:1 t-case (or equivalent with transmission ratios)
  • Factory locking diff(s)
  • A choice between automatic and manual transmissions
  • Pricing within 10% of a Bronco or Wrangler
  • Solid Front axle or Long Travel IFS.
To do that, I think they'd need to build a production line in the US so as to avoid the chicken tax to keep them on par with the Bronco and Wrangler market.
But, I also think we're more likely to see Toyota bring the diesel 70 series in the US... :D

View attachment 3238152
The 200-series already outflexed the Bronco and Wrangler Gladiator Rubicon. I would imagine the GR Sport with E-KDSS will get even higher score on 20 degree RTI.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 15.07.24.png

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 15.08.19.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom