3.4 Oil Light Flickering in gear at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help me out guys. My wife’s 2002 Tacoma with a 3.4 has the oil light barely flickering after about 30 minutes of highway driving. This just started after its first oil change by me (or at least noticed by me as I just started commuting with it) - a JDM engine was put in about a year ago. 5w-30 Mobil 1 with a Toyota filter. This only happens in gear as the RPMs seem to bobble around 500 or so after a long drive. The engine has around 60k on it. No loss of power and it’s not idling funky. Sensor or partially blocked screen? Boogered engine (I don’t think it would be as it runs great).

id start by changing out the oil filter to a factory one, and check your oil level. ive had customers come in with the oil ight on after an oil change due to cheep filters restricting flow.

could also be the oil pressure sensor starting to go

Appreciate it. I went under it to check and saw the oil filter was way too loose. Tightened it back so I hope that’s it.

Feel pretty stupid yet pleased it was simple. It’s a first for me to have one that loose. Oh well.

Nevermind. It’s still flickering after a 30 min plus drive on the freeway. I’m going to swap the sensor.

Last edited:
I’ll close this out for anyone that searches for it: swapped a new sensor on and we’re good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom