2nd Gen sequoia Headlight upgrade (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to start the headlight upgrade from the 2008-2017 Sequoia Headlights to the 2020 -2022 LED headlights and figured I would share the info.

I am using new Toyota LED headlights from the 2018-2022 Platinum.

Right Headlight 81110-0C190
Left Headlight 81150-0C150
Right Fender Extension 53931-0C904
Left Fender Extension 53932-0C904

For the fender extensions I cleaned them using 99% IPA then used a red 3m scour pad to rough them up. I then sprayed with gray 2k primer from Napa, 1 light and 2 medium wet 50% overlapping passes. Wiped with a tack cloth between coats. Then repeated process with Duplicolor color match spray paint. Then repeated the process with a 2k clear, I again used Napas 2k though I would have ordered the clear and the Primer off Amazon if I had been more patient.

The result will look like factory orange peel paint if you do it right. Don't be a fool like me and try to color sand it out a day later. The repaint had 3 tiny little fish eyes because I went to color sand and the Napa clear was dry to the touch after 18 hours, but soft enough to leave finger prints impressed in the clear. So I had to color sand 1 piece and repaint. I'm sure later down the road it will polish out. Otherwise they look nice. Just need to wait a couple months and color sand and polish them.

You can get the plug and play Headlight harness from
xrunnerdude67@gmail.com though he's a little slow to reply.

More info here: 2018 Sequoia LED Headlight Harness For 2nd Gen Tundras - https://www.tundras.com/threads/2018-sequoia-led-headlight-harness-for-2nd-gen-tundras.18742/

I ordered adapter harnesses from Ballenger Motorsports that utilize a Morimoto MotoController bixenon module. I quickly figured out once I started that the recommended MotoControl wasn't needed. Also, that the tundra LED conversion harnesses are not plug and play.

20240309_140719.jpg

20240309_140729.jpg

20240309_140741.jpg

20240309_140744.jpg

20240309_140705.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a shot of the finished Fender extensions in Toyota 202 black

20240314_130152.jpg

A close-up of the mocked op light and fender extensions...this is the ugly one of the two
20240314_155113.jpg

A bit further away. Quickly realizing the super faded dull paint. When the fender extensions have cured a couple months I will have it fully detailed/paint corrected and ceramic coated, or possibly vinyl wrap it since Vinyl will protect more from scratches when exploring.
20240314_155118.jpg

Meanwhile this is assembled as stock as it will ever be. On to onboarding maintenance and bumper upgrade.

Last edited:
Here is a little teaser of the new Headlight. So shiny!

20240313_183751.jpg

The Tundra conversion harnesses aren't a total loss.

You can utilize the 8 wire plug and the wires coming out of it. Though you will have to Depin and move some wires.

You can also utilize one of the 2 plugs with a slight alteration, there is a ridge internally You will need to remove. I used small side cutters. You will also have to depin and repin the connector as the source wire is on the wrong side.

The Driver side of the 2008 Limited Sequoia has a
HI Beam plug: Heavier white/black stripe(Neg) and a light green.

Low Beam: Thinner Darker Green and white/Black stripe (neg)

Side marker (small plug): Darker green and white/black strip (Neg)

Blinker/DRL: 3 pin purple (DRL), Red (Blinker), White/Black strip (Neg)

You will utilize:
Dark green (Low Beam)
Light Green
Red
Purple
White/Black stripe.

The 8 pin plug has numbers on the back if you look close enough.

1 light green HI Beam
2 Dark Green Lo Beam
3 sealed
4 Red Blinker
5 White/Black Stripe (High Beam Ground)
6 Purple DRL
7**** PREFERTIAL PIN see below****
8 Sealed

As of now there are 2 unused pins on the Headlight. I am going to try and determine what they're for. Potentially connections for the side markers, I don't know. The 2022 EWD shows only 5 pins utilized.

I will update this with parts to build your own proper harness as I complete my harness and figure out the mystery pins.

****UPDATE****
Pin 8 is still a mystery, HOWEVER, pin 7 is for the DRL. You have pin 6 which is a low setting DRL with the side markers.
Then you have pin 7 which is High setting DRL and no side marker. If you utilize the 2 pin side marker dark green wire you get High DRL AND Side marker.

This setup should work for 2nd Gen Sequoias with Daytime Running Lights. No relays or ballast needed as far as I can tell.

Pin 7 Envoked, a bit too bright to pick up the side marker with the phone.
20240314_153537.jpg

Pin 6 only
20240314_153455.jpg

Blinker...I'm sure with a relay you could make it solid state and switch off when Blinker is needed
20240314_153437.jpg

Regular DRL
20240314_153354.jpg

Low Beam....High works also
20240314_153350.jpg

Last edited:
Harness Connector build parts from Ballenger Motorsports.
8 pin Connector CONN-76067 QTY. 2
Metripack 280 CONN-75785 QTY. 2
H11 male (Not metripack 280) QTY. 2
3 pin connector CONN-76148 QTY. 2
2 pin connector CONN-76004 QTY. 2 If you plan to utilize the 2 pin side marker for pin 7 bright DRL

You will need to TXL, SXL or GXL wire. It can be had in color assortments for fairly cheap.

Last edited:
A pic of the front end as it sits currently.

20240325_201231.jpg

The finished adapter harnesses includes the 3 wire pigtail provided by ARB for the DRL and Blinker. I forgot it on the first adapter harness. I ended up methodically removing the terminals on 2 wires, adding it in and using new terminals and seals. It paid off buying some extra terminals.

20240325_192653.jpg

I plugged all of the wires into the 8 pin plug and the measured off 5", marked and cut the wires. I'm not sure if I'd personally go shorter but you could. Honestly, you end up with some bunched up wire even at 5". To make it really neat you'd have to build it on the vehicle with the light in and vary the lengths of the adapter wires. Not worth it to me personally especially since you probably would still have some bunching. You have 2 plugs coming off either side of the headlight opening so it's not going to lay perfectly flat.
20240325_164724.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up on this. Picking up a 2016 Sequoia this upcoming week and eventually want to swap out the halogens to the updated OEM as well. Excellent work!

Thanks for the write up on this. Picking up a 2016 Sequoia this upcoming week and eventually want to swap out the halogens to the updated OEM as well. Excellent work!
Thanks! I appreciate it. I'm just doing what I can to save folks some, time, frustration and cash.

The headlight project is now closed out. Connector numbers have been updated as 2 of them were incorrect. The side marker 2 way connector had an indexing rib on the exterior that was on the wrong side. I used side cutters to remove it and that socket worked. The alternate socket doesn't have the indexing rib.

The H11 metripack 280 connector was not the correct H11 connector. The Toyota female side has a narrower pin separation and 2 rails the clip portion of the male would index into. You can find generic NON-METRIPACK H11 pigtails by Googling them. The bright side is that all you have to do is install seals and terminals on the end of the pigtail and insert it into your 8 way plug.

Well, I have my Sequoia reassembled now and finally have everything buttoned up. I found that when the engine is running the little amber "Hockey Stick" is lit regardless of the DRL being on. From what I've been able to find, it's normal. All that is left is to find a place to aim my lights and then get some pictures.

You can get the plug and play Headlight harness from
xrunnerdude67@gmail.com though he's a little slow to reply.

I had good luck with xrunnerdude, after the initial contact. I agree on the front end he was slow to reply. On the backend I received my order sooner than he promised.

I would say his directions for install weren't super great. Perhaps it was my ADHD, my engineering brain, or whatever, but I had a really tough time with his directions.

I've attached a pic of how mine turned out. I drove down to LA from Seattle last week, picked up my HJ45 Troopy with a 1HZ in it, made the return trip in 2 days. Sequoia was amazing for towing.

Ignore the roof rack. I'm working on a project to develop better rack mounts than what's out on the market. It was a quick bolt and go situation, not finished state....

Sequioa.jpg

Last edited:
I had good luck with xrunnerdude, after the initial contact. I agree on the front end he was slow to reply. On the backend I received my order sooner than he promised.

I would say his directions for install weren't super great. Perhaps it was my ADHD, my engineering brain, or whatever, but I had a really tough time with his directions.

I've attached a pic of how mine turned out. I drove down to LA from Seattle last week, picked up my HJ45 Troopy with a 1HZ in it, made the return trip in 2 days. Sequoia was amazing for towing.

Ignore the roof rack. I'm working on a project to develop better rack mounts than what's out on the market. It was a quick bolt and go situation, not finished state....

View attachment 3592766
Jealous of that troopy! The roof rack mounts seem to be the norm. Why would someone engineer the mounts to angle inboard like that? I understand maybe there is an underlying "Triangulation" idea there, but put enough weight on and it's just going to peel the nutserts out of the sheetmetal like a prybar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom