2H glow and start issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had issues with the glow indicator taking forever to heat up on my 1981 HJ47. I replaced the glow plugs and a few had the ends burned off. Slightly better with the new plugs but I have had to run the glow preheat up to 25-30sec before the indicator gets glowing hot. Without it getting hot, it’ll start and run on a few cylinders and blowing smoke (unburnt diesel) for a few seconds before warming up enough to run on all cylinders with no smoke. Clearly I have a glow system issue.

Within the last week I have gone to start after having been driving it for a while and the starter won’t turn over. I can hear the relay click but no start. If I turn the key backwards and run the glow for one second then try to start it turns over and starts no problem. I’ve also noticed if I hook up a jump box to the battery it’ll start as well in the same no starter turning over condition.

My question is what’s going on and how can I test different components to track down the problem. Glow plug relay? Maybe two issues… glow relay and starter relay going out? Starter is strong, battery is good. I’d love to get back to starting after 5 sec of glow.

43979724-31FA-41FE-8C58-CE9AD151CB75.jpeg

The starter relay is serviceable, open the case and give the contacts a light sanding to remove any carbon tracks or pitting.

With regards to the glow system, try bypassing the factory glow controller with a jumper lead direct to the glow plug rail from Battery+ for 5 seconds and see if you get a good solid start, then 10 seconds if you don't - this will give you a starting point for diagnosis. Low compression can cause poor starts, along with glow system faults. Its also possible you have plugs with an inappropriate voltage.

Last edited:
The first replacement glow plugs I tried in my rig were the cheapies from SOR. They did not work well at all - worse than the set with one confirmed bad plug that were already in there. To make matters worse, one of the tips broke off in the hole while extracting the cheap ones. I had to crank the engine to extract it.

On my Canadian spec 24 volt 2H, NGK Y-197R plugs were the ticket. I'm not sure if they're appropriate for your situation, though.

If you did not go glow plug shopping based on this thread, that might be something to look at.

what is your battery voltage?

Sounds a long time to glow, check for appropriate glow plugs. 'Lost marbles' did an excellent glow plug summary. Also, sometimes the earth to the starter can rattle loose.
Having some burnt out glow plugs sounds like way too old or regular over preheating.
Some injectors kicking over and not all, sounds like faulty injectors unless your glows are cactus.
Your glow indicator on the 40 series would only be relevant to the correct glow plug.

I installed a wilson switch which I much prefer.

On an old battery I had to glow for longer and had less kick in the crank, especially during winter. My ebay $3 volt meter in the cig lighter would drop as low as 10.9v (12v system) but as the glows warmed it would rise back to 11.3v, a little struggle, the battery was on it's way out. With a fresh battery 800cca, i would glow less and voltage drops only as low as 11.3v max but quickly rises to 11.6v+ when glows warmed. Say, counting to 16 during 2 degree celsius ambient winter here in the morning, no worries now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom