2H Flat Spot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, the 60 Series crew told me to repost in here, so here goes. I just bought an HJ60. Loving it, it's getting me where I want to go, and back again. But I have noticed there is a flat spot in acceleration, just around 2000rpm. It's more noticeable in 4th gear, where the car almost sort of 'hops' and I have to back off the throttle and apply power again slowly. Sometimes it makes it better, sometimes the hopping is quite bad untill she gets over 2000rpm. The engine is (from what I can tell) a standard 2H but with the addition of extractors (headers). I noticed the last oil change (and I presume filters) was 5000km ago. Could this flat spot be a result of blocked/dirty filters (air or fuel) or is it a injection timing thing. I'm a bit new to the world of diesels.
BTW it's a 12 volt model, as were all the australian assembled HJ60s.
Cheers!

Ahh just found this, it might be the problem. Sure sounds similar! Sorry, should have searched first!
I've only had it two weeks, so I can't be sure if I remember it happening before the last fill up. Possible though, it was a dodgy service station. Will get new filters and give her a service this week

Hi Troppo. Does it have any fuel leaks or seepage around the hand primer or anywhere else.
It sounds like it might be getting air to me

Broome as you have probably realised sells mainly diesel and the most common vehicle in town is a diesel landcruiser so if they were selling bad fuel everyone would be having problems and dodgy service station owners would be getting a good old lynching:D.

I was up that way myself a few months ago and hoped to go there next month.
I saw your pics on the 60 forum ,looks like you were up at Willy Creek;)

my 88 4runner had that same problem a while ago found out that i had it clan out the throtle body out after i didi that the flat stop went away

I have a 2H engine .. that is an slow but awesome engine ( slow if I comapred it with my HDJ-80 ) never had a flat spot .. sometimes I use AMBAC cleaner and cetane increaser .. try with it ..

I thought is a inyection issue .. but my idea is based on nothing more than my logical.

Troppo said:
Hi, the 60 Series crew told me to repost in here, so here goes. I just bought an HJ60. Loving it, it's getting me where I want to go, and back again. But I have noticed there is a flat spot in acceleration, just around 2000rpm. It's more noticeable in 4th gear, where the car almost sort of 'hops' and I have to back off the throttle and apply power again slowly. Sometimes it makes it better, sometimes the hopping is quite bad untill she gets over 2000rpm. The engine is (from what I can tell) a standard 2H but with the addition of extractors (headers). I noticed the last oil change (and I presume filters) was 5000km ago. Could this flat spot be a result of blocked/dirty filters (air or fuel) or is it a injection timing thing. I'm a bit new to the world of diesels.
BTW it's a 12 volt model, as were all the australian assembled HJ60s.
Cheers!

It was me originally, who posted about the flat spot and the bad fuel.
I am not convinced anymore that this was really the answer. With a fresh fuel filter and fuel I don't notice the flat spot, but it comes back regularely, so I doubt it is really fuel related. I also don't notice it when I accelerate slowly, just when I press the pedal down far and fast.
I am sorry if I misled you-I still would like to get the answer myself. Might go and get new injectors, but they are pretty pricy.
I don't have fuel leaking anywhere, so I doubt it is air being drawn into the system. However, my priming pump leaks like a sieve when pumping-but not when screwed down.

jan

Thanks for your help guys, and yes Rosco, it's willy creek! Good spotting! It took ages to get that damn grey mud off the underside, but was alot of fun slippin and slidin around.
I am going to have a look at the filters and fuel line soon, as I can smell diesel from around the outside of the wagon sometimes. But at the moment I have the radiator out getting fixed (Again, twice in a week, but this time it's free!) so when I get that ship shape, I'll start poking around in the fuel system.
Thanks for your advice Jan. I noticed my engine being a bit 'jerky' after driving a friends rusted out, but mechanically perfect HJ60. It has had some work done on the engine in the past, and leaves mine for dead. I'm trying to convince him to let me swap over the engines before it disolves into a pile of rust. His engine just seemed to rev free-er and smoother.
And Rosco, I bought my diesel from the Shell opposite Mcdonalds in chinatown, which has always been a bit dodgy in my opinion. I have heard some stories from others who have had bad experiences there. Legend has it, that their tanks aren't sealed properly and let water in, but thats just a 'broomer' (rumor). I should have driven the extra 2 minutes down the road to the BP, but I was in a hurry to get to Quandong that day!
Happy truckin!

Well, the problem has seemed to disappear. I noticed it vanished after using half a tank of fuel. I changed the air filter, fuel filter and gave it an oil change anyway. It still has a judder in 4th gear when I try to accelerate between about 1200rpm, till around 1800rpm. If I back off the pedal and reapply power, it sometimes smooths it out.

Troppo said:
It still has a judder in 4th gear when I try to accelerate between about 1200rpm, till around 1800rpm. If I back off the pedal and reapply power, it sometimes smooths it out.

Ive seen this probem 5-6 times in the last few years on th 2H.
No one ever comes back to say how they cured it.
Although there was a women who had problems between Melbourne and Canberra and explained in a womens way how a mechanic fixed it.:rolleyes:
I can never find my way back to the thread though.

Aussies say shudder ,Kiwis say judder;)

How many revs does your engine idle at? Have you cracked the injectors one by one to see if any injector does not cause the idle speed to drop if you crack the injector. Other things that will need to be checked is the piston in the fuel delivery pump sticking as it should move freely in the bore of the pump. I would also check the governor diaphragm to make sure it does not have a pin hole or if there is oil on the pump side of it.Also inspect the diaphragm spring. Also chech the injection pump timing and perhaps consideration should be given to injector volumes.

Geez Rosco you should be a detective mate!
Not only did you figue out where my photo was, but now you worked out I'm a kiwi too!
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom