2H Alternator Questions - Identifying a 24v vs 12v Externally Regulated Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

15.02 and 17.4 are certainly to much, which means that the VR is not regulating, it’s just passing the input (A) to F. In other words it acts as a short.
If it’s working correctly the voltage on F goes down when the voltage on the battery goes up and thus regulates the charging.

Your ground wire is OK. No problem with that.

Sparks is never a good sign unless you’re welding so I think that the VR is toast.

Time to do some shopping for a new one.
Sorry to hear that this project didn't work out. You did your best,

Rudi

Got my hands on a replacement Voltage Regulator and....

We have powaaahh. Regulated and all.

Huge thank you to @bj40green for taking the time to help me with a solution.

1412218071903.jpg

For the record.

This is the correct wiring diagram courtesy of @bj40green

2H_alt_to_fordVR166.jpg

Here is my hand drawn version made from this diagram. I wanted to make sure to include the batteries and existing FJ60 wiring harness. (BTW the Charge light on the cluster works too!)

2014-09-30 14.52.23.jpg

So on the way to Overland Expo East in Asheville the Alternator went T/U about 2.5 hrs into the drive. We were humming along at right above 12V on the cluster gauge and then noticed is was down to 8V. Pulled over and black smoke was coming out the vents in the back. She's dead Jim. So I disconnected the cables to the bat and the VR and continued on. My brothers solar charger helped to maintain the charge I had left and with the dual batteries was able to run the headlights all the way back.

All I can think is the maybe the F & N wires were switched but I triple checked. So on to the next phase to get this alt rebuilt and research the switch to hydroboost so I can go with a no vacuum alt and ditch the vacuum pump.

That's a bummer.

Hydroboost is a no brainer. However, eliminating the vacuum pump will eliminate the ability for AC idle up. Not sure how necessary that is, but it's important to consider anyway.

I'll have to bend your ear on Wednesday about options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom