The Life & Times of Shasta (86 FJ60 conversion to HJ60) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ontherxs

They call me Tim...
Threads
Ladies and Gents, here chronicles my journey with Shasta. I bought this 60 in late February of 2014 with the intent to restore her to her former glory over time while enjoying time on the trails in between. My long term goal is for Shasta to be a daily driver. When I checked her out as did a mechanic, it was clear that she had "experience" and would need some TLC but for the most part, was relatively rust free, and mechanically sound.... or so we thought. (more on that later)

I also intended to keep this thread from the very beginning to document and share the learning experience of restoring an old truck, the fun times and adventures, and the challenges. Ahhh the challenges. In the last very short three months working on Shasta has gone from over time to overtime as I was thrust into a full engine rebuild right out of the gate. So grab a drink, settle in, and enjoy.....

The pic below is Shasta 1.0 - 1986 FJ60 w/2FE. This is what she looked like day 1 to me.

This was the intro thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/member-rigs.44953/page-17#post-9093285

ontherxsfj602.JPG
ontherxsfj60.JPG

Last edited:
Time for a little cosmetic update - I'll post a lot of pics for you guys because they are so helpful to me on other threads. Beside the two below more pics here -> https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pac2bv29gwfwxls/AABl5VYokTmgurKjwdDHQ2hJa

Things done in this session

Plasti-dip-a-paloza

Mirrors
Side Vents
Back Vents
Grill
Light Surrounds
Gauge Cluster

2014-03-09 18.36.45.jpg
2014-03-15 13.42.59.jpg

Last edited:
More cosmetic updates and the build of the cargo cover - This was done over a weekend with help from friends and my two daughters.

more pics here -> https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ahvabf5pc6g56ff/AACRyBzVEzgh-gvPYJkyWGuda

Done in this session:

• Removed the rear carpet.
  • Removed the rear cargo panels (thinking I will rebuild my own with doors or maybe save up some bucks for these ->http://wagongear.com/shop/side-panels/
  • Replaced rear cargo carpet - I was lucky to snatch some carpet being thrown out from an office that was being remodeled in my building. I had enough to do the back and eventually will finish the back of the back seat. I might have enough for the passenger area too.
  • Removed old purpled tint. I was dreading scraping all the tint off so I googled a better method. Turns out a steamer (I used one I had tucked away in closet from all the steam pressing of my laundry I don't do) works great. Its fast, clean, and will burn you.
  • Plast-dip the wheels - all five of them
  • Built a rear cargo cover deck. The intent was to be able to hide my tool box and spare (until I can find a rear tire carrier bumper for a 60. Anyone know where I can find one? anyone, beuhler?). It's also strong enough to act as a second level of storage.

2014-03-15 14.50.28.jpg
2014-03-15 15.36.54.jpg
2014-03-15 16.41.35.jpg
2014-03-15 23.12.21.jpg
2014-03-16 18.25.47.jpg

Rut-roh - The deck looks good once you get it in. But once you do, it's not coming out easy.

Hard lesson learned here. Following the preaching of Bob Villla, I measured twice and cut once. The problem, I didn't take into account getting the huge piece of wood past the roof pillars. Doh..

So after a noodling on a solution, I decided to make it more of an accordion to you could fold back the top to access the rear cargo area. This also made it much easier to remove the top entirely if it wasn't needed. The top still sits on the frame solidly and cutting it into sections did not its ability to support cargo on top.

Here are more pictures - > https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ca3gy83tg48na31/AADbE578PsKpaun8KTPh5wp-a

2014-03-16 18.17.25.jpg

Tight fit and it's not coming back out easily.

2014-03-21 17.32.08.jpg

Now three pieces and much more functional.

Last edited:
Looking good! That carpet turned out really nice.

So that's where ya put the kids on a road trip eh. ;)

Here she is. After two solid rounds of cosmetic work it was time to take her for a drive. Mind you, I have been driving to and from work and around town here and there. To me, at this point, I had less then 100 miles on her.

2014-03-23 12.38.13.jpg

So one may ask, "hey ontherxs, why did you take a picture on such s crappy day?"

The answer. This Picture marks the beginning of a dark time in Shasta's life. See, on this particular glorious day, at least it started that way, I was on a mini road-trip from Raleigh, going about 25 miles west of Uwharrie to meet another mudder to pick up a roof rack. So far so good right? It was cool, partly cloudy and Shasta was ready to go. Or so I thought......

About 10 miles past Uwharrie...booom..whomp....gurgle.. Sudden loss in power, and she starts bucking like a bull with its nuts squoze to tight. Shifting down to second I limped to a gas station - not the gas station pictured mind you, one about 500 yards west where I was politely told (as the heavens opened in a rage of rain and a torrent of oil spewed from somewhere deep within the 2F) if, and I quote, " You NO buy gas, you leave....now."

But sir, "my tuck is bleeding oil, and, as you can see it's now poring f'n rain, and so can I just use your cover for a sec to see whats wrong". "No, you no buy gas, you leave...Now"

"How about oil?, I'll buy some oil from you and then I can diagnose whats going on here. You sell oil right?"
"No, don't sell oil. So, you no buy gas...."
Yes, I know, "you leave... now", I got it...

So after my charming experience with captain a$$hat, I begged Shasta to start. She did and we puttered to the next gas station. The one pictured above..

Last edited:
When it rains, it pours - Getting home

Pulling into the next gas station, I was loaded for bear. Ready to take on any objection to me diagnosing this issue under cover. I would go down fighting not to be laying in a puddle of ice rain and oil.

Me: " Hello Mam, I was just wondering if it be okay to pull up here under your covered area and diagnose my dead truck?" " You see, its raining and I don't know whats wrong with her except there is more oil on the outside than should be. A lot more. You sell oil, right?"

Not the a$$hat: "Why yes darlin, you poor thing. Take as much time as you need. You wan't, I could call you a tow?"

Me: "Thank you so much, let me see if I can figure it out maybe it's just a bad leak I can fix up and be on my way (yeah right)" "I'll take this oil here and a pack of nabs"

Nicest lady ever: "Ok hon, you need anything let me know" "You want a funnel forya oil?"

So you see, there in a span of 30 minutes separated by a mere 500 yards, is a prime example of great customer service vs. hating the fact that other people exist.

So under Shasta I go, exploring only to realize this is way above my pay grade. There is oil streaming down, smoke billowing up. She's dead Jim.. Time for that tow.

I end up calling USAA for a tow which I have as part of my insurance coverage but only 50 miles. I ask if they can get back to Raleigh and they can I just need to pay the difference. Great. How long? 2.5 hours. No, problem I'll grab a beer sit out on the bench covered from the rain and sort out my next few months.

Me: "Mam, I'm going to need a tow can you give me your address and where is you beer cooler?"
Nice lady: "Sure, hon no problem on the address but, we don't sell beer" "The owner, some religious thing I guess, anyway no beer" "Looks like today just isn't you day"
Me: "Yeah, when it rains, it pours."

Side note.. the tow truck guy, a jeep guy, said, "You should take a selfie with your truck on the back, that'd be funny"
It wasn't, but I did.

2014-03-23 13.14.23.jpg
2014-03-23 13.15.02.jpg
2014-03-23 13.16.13.jpg
2014-03-23 13.29.25.jpg
2014-03-23 13.49.18.jpg

Looks like it is coming together. All it really takes is time and money :) Last time we came home on a flat bed it was with Heather's Volvo. I know that look on your face. Buck up!!! It gets better:bang:

What to do now? - The tear down and postmortem.

Long story short Shasta ended up safe and sound back in Raleigh. I had my mechanic look it over to basically turn around and tell me its dead. He assessment was it would be cheaper to find a cleaner truck and punt on Shasta. He gave me a I'm not willing to do the work price.

Having invested enough I was in to deep to quit Shasta so I set forward on finding some options to rebuild, rip and replace, or convert. This is the point where I turned to my only hope, my obi one kenobi, my only hope - @
GLTHFJ60. Johnny C. along with my brother and flurry of emails and research decided that we'd need to do a full tear down and diagnosis.

If you'd like to skip the step by step here is the post-mortem analysis thread and discussion from mud by Johnny
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ontherxss-fj60.801950/

Below are selected pictures of the major steps and some of the major problems uncovered if you want to see the mayhem unfold before your eyes.
Full gallery with 2F pictures ad nauseam here-> https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ntr79oklnhdfyce/AADfB-ZWAhcdFOFdXfIatVYRa

Step one - try not to be humiliated while a buddy drags you across town from deep in Cary to home near Cameron Village

2014-03-27 19.07.39-1.jpg

To make matters even worse, this is Brandi my buddies Grand Cherokee which he paid a total of $1500.00 for (not missing any zeros), the smug bastard

Now the details -

Compression test numbers cylinders:
1-120
2-130
3-90
4-90
5-90
6-35

2014-04-05 10.26.18.jpg

Tear down day one.

2014-04-01 17.12.43.jpg

Numbering all the plug wires

2014-04-01 17.12.46.jpg

This engine had been partially de-smogged with a bunch vacuum connections un-plugged

2014-04-01 17.12.50.jpg

When the engine went this breather tube was not attached and acted as a little chimney of white smoke from the valve cover.

Last edited:
The tear down and postmortem cont.

2014-04-05 10.28.03.jpg

Remove the air cleaner assembly
2014-04-05 10.56.50.jpg

Tons of tubes I made sure to take pics so I could put it back together if needed.

2014-04-05 10.37.12.jpg

Minor problem #1 - The engine was backfiring up through the carb. Fuel pored into the bottom of the carb as a result it was a real rich mixture. Our guess is who ever did the motor work last may have been compensating for poor engine compression. Carb rebuild or new carb would fix this.

2014-04-05 10.56.28.jpg

This goes to support that theory. An electric fuel pump literally hanging on by one wire and some zip ties. I didn't put the two together when the truck was initially inspected other than to add it to my mental short list of things to fix. It has since been removed with extreme prejudice.

2014-04-05 11.17.57.jpg

Here it is with the air cleaner removed and some of the spaghetti.

The tear down and postmortem cont. 3

2014-04-05 12.40.36.jpg

Carb removed to reveal minor problem #2

2014-04-05 12.41.06.jpg

Cracked carb heat shield. Something that would be tough to spot on inspection because of it location below the carb and part if the air cleaner assembly. Now where things start to go south. Removing the shield revealed major problem #1

2014-04-05 15.25.19.jpg

Cracked intake manifold and gnarly gasket.

2014-04-05 15.25.38.jpg

Ugly right? Let's go deeper.

2014-04-05 15.47.31.jpg

The tear down and postmortem cont. 4

Next phase remove the thermostat and hoses.

2014-04-05 15.48.13.jpg

Then the alternator.

2014-04-05 15.48.24.jpg

The A/C compressor

2014-04-05 15.48.29.jpg

Remove the engine mount plate then all the valve cover bolts to reveal major problem #2

2014-04-05 16.15.55.jpg

Pile-o-parts coming along

2014-04-05 16.16.52.jpg

Of course I'm subscribed IRL, but subscribed here for the journey in words...

The tear down and postmortem cont. 5

Revealing major problem #2

Do you see it?
2014-04-05 16.17.07.jpg

Let's zoom in, shall we?

2014-04-05 16.17.01.jpg

At this point the valvetrain had not been touched. That push rod bolt was just laying there minding its own business. Probably not the best bolt storage location. Let's keep going.

2014-04-06 13.01.31.jpg

Next, remove the valvetrain and unscrew the head bolts. Pro Tip I learned from Sensai @GLTHFJ60 - label and keep the pushrods and head bolts in order for reassembly. They wear differently and have different lengths so best to put them back in their original home.

2014-04-06 15.51.58.jpg

Ready for the big reveal? Major problem #3? Off with her head.

2014-04-06 13.01.31.jpg

Last edited:
The tear down and postmortem cont. 6

So the compression on cylinder 6 was 35. If you didn't peek at the other thread care to guess why? Let's take a gander.

2014-04-06 15.59.57.jpg

Hint, look at the cooling ports. Anything sketchy? Let's zoom in /Enhance/

IMAG0988.jpg

Yes thats right kids, the head gasket is upside down and backwards, fully covering the cooling ports in the rear and several others around the horn. Awesome!

IMAG1001.jpg

And the cylinder walls. It is a testament to the toughness of Toyota engines that this thing was running at all. Remember, up until the she went tits up, she ran better than most I had test driven. Wow.

2014-04-06 16.10.06.jpg

Head looks ok. A good cleaning and refresh of the valves this is probably a solid part still.

2014-04-06 16.10.13.jpg

OK friends enough for tonight. In tomorrows episode, deciding on the way forward and the deconstruction of the remaining pieces of the 2F. Stay hydrated my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom