2F Fuel injection installation???????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
Will buying and installing a fuel injection kit give my 2f a bit more HP? I know it will help with steep slopes, immediate start up, and higher altitude driving with better fuel air mixture.
But will it provide a bit more horse power?
What about installing a FI kit and a small turbo to allow me to tow a small trailer to carry my RTT and multistrada Motorcycle, kitchen and other gear on the trailer instead of in the tuck?

What are your thoughts?

Txs
Chris.

Hi,
Will buying and installing a fuel injection kit give my 2f a bit more HP? I know it will help with steep slopes, immediate start up, and higher altitude driving with better fuel air mixture.
What about installing a FI kit and a small turbo to allow me to tow a small trailer to carry my RTT and multistrada Motorcycle, kitchen and other gear on the trailer instead of in the tuck?

What are your thoughts?

Txs
Chris.
I installed the Holley Sniper kit on my 84 fj60 with a stock 2f. I would not say it added any horsepower at least that I noticed. I do however think it is the best mod I have done. I have reserved myself to the fact the 2f is not a power house and is built to run low and slow, hence the "Not in a Hurry" decal on the rear window. I do like the reliability and nostalgia of the 2f. As far as adding a turbo, I wouldn't recommend it. This is purely opinion based but I would be afraid to boost the old 2f. But then again we all know what they say about opinions...:p

Hi,

What are your thoughts?

Txs
Chris.
Best Mod here. Total game changer in Driveability. Im at altitudes from 5000-9700 daily...and i notice a huge difference in how my rig handles that...

I dont think id have any issues towing 3500-4000lbs but only a guess.

Notice youre from Cali...may want to investigate how the swap will affect Emission inspection. As I understand it...Im not sure it would be ok. Reckon it may depend on specific location.

Best of luck.

If you have to get you truck emission tested ever, it's no-go for anything on the market for the 2F in California. You can swap in a newer/bigger engine (with a million potential headaches in Cali, but it is doable), but touching even a single vacuum hose in the stock config is Verboten, and any way around that is basically going to amount to illegally either bribing or fooling a vehicle inspector, illegally having it registered somewhere other than your home address (as far as CA is concerned), or legally moving somewhere without emission testing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sticking it to the man, but you're literally on your own if you get caught, and I personally wouldn't put thousands of dollars into something which could go 'poof' and be gone if the wrong person found out how I'd modified it.

So, that's gonna include EFI, turbos, and even an aftermarket carburetor.

I think you're kinda stuck between living with it as it is, getting a bigger truck that can haul/tow more (100 series trucks are kind of in a sweet spot for bang for the buck right now...), or swapping in a different engine (with an extremely limited set of options; has to be a half-ton or smaller light truck/SUV, no 2500/3500 pickups or passenger cars, has to be newer than cruiser's model year, had to be bolted to/meant for a manual trans, has to have all the emissions crap it came with, has to have same distance from exhaust ports to O2 sensors and cats as in the original vehicle, etc.).

Efi won’t magically add hp. It will optimize drive ability and improve hot and cold starts. It’s easier to tune more precisely but it often doesn’t result in improved economy.

Best Mod here. Total game changer in Driveability. Im at altitudes from 5000-9700 daily...and i notice a huge difference in how my rig handles that...

I dont think id have any issues towing 3500-4000lbs but only a guess.

Notice youre from Cali...may want to investigate how the swap will affect Emission inspection. As I understand it...Im not sure it would be ok. Reckon it may depend on specific location.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the info. I'm not concerned with CA emissions. My truck is registered under a company name in VA....
My truck currently Weighs 7,000 pounds with everything in and on it.
Want to install RTT along with some of the gear and motorcycle in and on the trailer.

However, my just pull the trigger on an engine swap and a trailer. If I can get some power from a fuel injection install that would be helpful in the interim.

As these guys have said, no, do not expect more power. Main reason for this is that power is directly related to how much air you can flow through the head...and the 2F flows TERRIBLY. Anyone getting meaningful power increases out of an F engine is doing head work.

7k lbs, drag added from the RTT, and (I'll assume) that you're expecting some modern engine behavior... you're headed for a swap. Save the money and jump into the project with good budget support.

Ya...i certainly wldnt say more power...100% more pep. I used my rig hauling alot of remodel stuff...Lumber ect...but never anything crazy. Hauled a mini escavator form 7500 to my cabin at 9500 and it pulled it just fine...altho that was pre Sniper. Total improvement for cold starting (from not to starting every time) No stalling or playing the gas pedal game coming to stop signs...that sorta thing is like nite + day. Like i mentioned...my vest mod to date...altho, i just dropped in a new H55 5 speed so that may unseed the Sniper as "best mod"

gl

If you have to get you truck emission tested ever, it's no-go for anything on the market for the 2F in California. You can swap in a newer/bigger engine (with a million potential headaches in Cali, but it is doable), but touching even a single vacuum hose in the stock config is Verboten, and any way around that is basically going to amount to illegally either bribing or fooling a vehicle inspector, illegally having it registered somewhere other than your home address (as far as CA is concerned), or legally moving somewhere without emission testing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sticking it to the man, but you're literally on your own if you get caught, and I personally wouldn't put thousands of dollars into something which could go 'poof' and be gone if the wrong person found out how I'd modified it.

So, that's gonna include EFI, turbos, and even an aftermarket carburetor.

I think you're kinda stuck between living with it as it is, getting a bigger truck that can haul/tow more (100 series trucks are kind of in a sweet spot for bang for the buck right now...), or swapping in a different engine (with an extremely limited set of options; has to be a half-ton or smaller light truck/SUV, no 2500/3500 pickups or passenger cars, has to be newer than cruiser's model year, had to be bolted to/meant for a manual trans, has to have all the emissions crap it came with, has to have same distance from exhaust ports to O2 sensors and cats as in the original vehicle, etc.).
So does it make a difference that I have never messed with emissions on by 87 FJ60. I have rebuilt the carb, but nothing else. I did take off the catalytic converter at about 245,000 but I saved it and it bolts right back on? I'm in Montana so nobody gives a rip, and I definitely am not moving to Cali, but it is nice to know. Mine starts fantastic, runs fantastic, so why mess with it? It has about 260 on it now.

So does it make a difference that I have never messed with emissions on by 87 FJ60. I have rebuilt the carb, but nothing else. I did take off the catalytic converter at about 245,000 but I saved it and it bolts right back on? I'm in Montana so nobody gives a rip, and I definitely am not moving to Cali, but it is nice to know. Mine starts fantastic, runs fantastic, so why mess with it? It has about 260 on it now.
I’m in the middle of installing one currently with plans to move to Montana. I am also desmogging. If you’re running smog equipment that isn’t working correctly you could be robbing the engine of power. Modern cats don’t affect exhaust flow in any meaningful way so you’re not gaining anything by removing it. Obviously, I’ve not driven my truck with the new set up but I’m certain I’ll have more pep going up hills. Here in Colorado I have had to drop down to 2nd gear to get up to my sister’s house in the mountains and it’s rather frustrating and embarrassing to have a long line of cars behind you wondering what the hell the problem is.

I feel like if it's running fine and you're happy with it, EFI only makes sense as something to start piling up parts for when something expensive to replace eventually goes bad on/in the carb and the proverbial house of cards that is a working stock smog setup starts to come down. But, for now? TBI probably wouldn't be a super worthwhile upgrade except maybe in peace of mind.

I’m in the middle of installing one currently with plans to move to Montana. I am also desmogging. If you’re running smog equipment that isn’t working correctly you could be robbing the engine of power. Modern cats don’t affect exhaust flow in any meaningful way so you’re not gaining anything by removing it. Obviously, I’ve not driven my truck with the new set up but I’m certain I’ll have more pep going up hills. Here in Colorado I have had to drop down to 2nd gear to get up to my sister’s house in the mountains and it’s rather frustrating and embarrassing to have a long line of cars behind you wondering what the hell the problem is.
My cat was toast long ago I'm sure, so taking it out opened it up a little. Carb works great, and from what I have read people do have problems when de-smogging sometimes. Montana has no smog checks, so really doesn't matter to me.

My cat was toast long ago I'm sure, so taking it out opened it up a little. Carb works great, and from what I have read people do have problems when de-smogging sometimes. Montana has no smog checks, so really doesn't matter to me.
This is true. If it’s running fine for you I would leave it alone. I was experiencing major power loss up inclines. Could be a gunked up dizzy, vacuum leak/exhaust leak, etc... so I just dumped all the crap and decided it would kick my butt into gear to move to Montana.

I am also looking at fuel injection considering the Howell system due to the fact that most of the parts are factory GM parts and are easy to find. Second also doing head work and installing a RV cam. There is a machine shop in southern California that has experience with the 2F head. From my research once you get the head to flow some air the 2F is a great engine for towing. The cost is fraction of an engine swap and my vehicle remains very easy to service. I don't know if I can post a business name so PM me for the machine shop name. No I do not have any relation to the owner in anyway.

I am also looking at fuel injection considering the Howell system due to the fact that most of the parts are factory GM parts and are easy to find. Second also doing head work and installing a RV cam. There is a machine shop in southern California that has experience with the 2F head. From my research once you get the head to flow some air the 2F is a great engine for towing. The cost is fraction of an engine swap and my vehicle remains very easy to service. I don't know if I can post a business name so PM me for the machine shop name. No I do not have any relation to the owner in anyway.

You might also consider running mega squirt as it’s designed around or can be adapted for a myriad of sensors and components and vast ability to tune. You could run a set of FJ62 exhaust manifolds and modify the stock 2F intake manifold to run fuel injectors and eliminate the carb with a block off plate…also giving you ample space for a MAP sensor. Even better than that would be to make a custom intake modeled on the or adapted from the 3FE intake with its long skinny runners that optimize low rpm air flow.

And here is a video about Megasquirt TBI install on a 2F

New to this site and I see other posts that mention business names or products. Hope I don't step on toes; RDC Machine and Motorsport is a SoCal machine shop that can rework the 2F head for better flow and install a Cam for low end torque. I have not used them but have talked to owner and once I am ready I will be having them do my head work. I did hear about this shop from a fellow A&P technician.

New to this site and I see other posts that mention business names or products. Hope I don't step on toes; RDC Machine and Motorsport is a SoCal machine shop that can rework the 2F head for better flow and install a Cam for low end torque. I have not used them but have talked to owner and once I am ready I will be having them do my head work. I did hear about this shop from a fellow A&P technician.
Lots of vendors and shops on this site. I don’t think you’re stepping on toes. A lot of shops have closed down and it’s been getting more difficult to find good machinists. I think most of us appreciate having more options to consider. Welcome to the site! :flipoff2:

Hi, Great ideas but first do a compression and vacuum check. Mike

Does anyone have pictures or a diagram of where the vacuum lines go on the Howell EFI on a FJ60 2F? Also a picture of how the throttle cable is supposed to look? I am somewhat smooth brained so am having trouble figuring it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom