2f double water temp sender?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by reddog90, Nov 8, 2018.

1. reddog90

reddog90

My temp gauge was reading 0 so I ordered a new aftermarket water temp sender thinking this was an easy fix. My truck was half way desmogged by a PO, and the air rail is limiting access to the sender. I have a cap & plug kit to install right now as well. I removed the air cleaner to begin removing the air rail and noticed it looks like I have two water temp senders. Any ideas what's going on here?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RAGINGMATT likes this.
  2. Skeet

Skeet

I believe the one closest to the firewall is for the temp gauge on the cluster and the other one is for the emissions computer.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    rkymtnflyfisher and RAGINGMATT like this.
  3. spotcruiser

spotcruiser Geezer SILVER Star

4. shelfboy1

shelfboy1 SILVER Star

if you remove them 1 is longer ad if you look close they have different numbers on them

RAGINGMATT likes this.
  5. RAGINGMATT

RAGINGMATT Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approch..... Supporting Vendor

Media:
    x3

Below is a 6/76 EWD ,

in the Lower left hand side of the Diagram is the Thermo-Sensor for the emissions Computer , the wire color might be black , buts its unclear ?

in the middle right hand side is the Water Tamp. Sender for the Instument Guage Cluster meter , It has a Yellow wire w/ green tracer stripe

a nice addition to help keep your Coolant Sender's & Thermo Sensors from the Ravages of age & time is this :

DSCN9810.JPG

DSCN6836.JPG DSCN7475.JPG DSCN7481.JPG DSCN7496.JPG

reddog90, mrboatman and Skeet like this.
  6. reddog90

reddog90

Thanks for the help guys. I'll replace my water temp sender, plug the air rail, and research desmogging more.

7. reddog90

reddog90

Got the air rail out. It was kind of a bugger, some of the connections were rusted almost solid. I let them bathe in PB blaster a few days and finally got them to break loose. I got the plugs in, new water temp sender in, did some cleaning with simple green, a blue scotchbrite and a toothbrush and put it all back together.

[​IMG]

I'll research more on desmogging. Can I get a plug for this thermo sensor for the emissions computer? If I remove and plug it, how far back do I trace its wire in the harness before I cut/cap it off?

mrboatman and 1911 like this.
  8. samatulich

samatulich SILVER Star

You may just leave it as is. I’m going through the same exact thing as you. I’m waiting to get the new connection and boot from @RAGINGMATT, then I will fix my water temp sending unit connection and leave the thermo sensor alone. I’m not sure why I would want to remove the thermo sensor other than to clean things up a bit more.

9. RAGINGMATT

Media:
    The hexagonal steel fitting below the coolant sender and thermo sensor is called a “ Union “

It JIS pipe male threads that screw into the cylinder head

It’s female threads have a female concave bevel At the bottom

, the sensor & sender are made of brass and have a male concave bevel

Hense a compression fitting

I don’t know the exact JIS thead pitch and diamiter of the top side concave bevel parts off top of my head
    But it is Very course

In order to plug it and remove the thermo sensor you would need a JIS brass plug of that size with a beveled compression type fitting tip or end profile

I have never see one ?

If one was missing and I neeeded a plug in my shop for some reason I would simply install a new thermo sensor or coolant sender and consider that my delete plug , the male spade ♠️ terminal can be carefully cut off with a dremmle tool Flush with the top of the epoxy colored substance , DO Not carve up
    The clearish epoxy substance it seals out
    Air and moisture from migrating down the brass sender sensor body

10. RAGINGMATT

Media:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.