22re won’t heat up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rebuilt a 22re and started it up today. After working out all the bugs it runs great but I can’t get it to run warmer than 130 -150. I’ve tried 3 thermostats and no luck. One a new aisin and one out of the 22r I was running that ran at 210. I had a mechanical gauge mounted in the dummy gauge spot on the intake then swapped in the stock sender in case the ecu read off it also. No difference. I’m checking the temps with an IR thermometer also. The only time I got up to 200 was when I 1st filled the radiator and started the motor, left the cap off to make sure water was circulating. It hit 200 then but dropped and never came back up. I’m not very familiar with these engines. I tested all the sensors using the fsm when I was building the engine. No heater the coolant pipes on the drivers side are looped together with a hose.

It’s an early 22re from an 87 truck and an early harness from a different truck. It’s in a crawler with an aluminum street sign dash and no stock gauges so I can’t check for check engine light, all I have is mechanical oil pressure, water temp and voltage.

Also when I timed it, I shorted the two terminals on the white plug on the ds fender and thought this was supposed to decrease the rpms but didn’t. Maybe because it wasn’t at operating temp?

Radiator, fan clutch, t-stat or gauge.
Is your gauge actually trustworthy?
Are you using a larger than stock radiator?
Stuck fan clutch?
Have you actually driven it, or is this all driveway idling?

Radiator, fan clutch, t-stat or gauge.
Is your gauge actually trustworthy?
Are you using a larger than stock radiator?
Stuck fan clutch?
Have you actually driven it, or is this all driveway idling?
Stock radiator and its good, Fan clutch is free, I checked the stat on the stove and it opened around 190. My mechanical gauge and IR are reading about the same so i'm sure they are both accurate. I haven't driven it much because i was trying to get to operating temp to time it. I'm starting to think maybe I just need to drive it for a while to get the temps up.

Are your coolant and hearter hoses routing around the t-stat?

Are your coolant and hearter hoses routing around the t-stat?
I have everything routed like stock except the heater core is bypassed with a hose connecting the 2 metal pipes on the drivers side rear of the block

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom