22re help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who is our resident 22re guru?

Need help from someone in the know better than I and would come take a look.

22re starts and runs and then starts to stumble and miss like a large vacuum leak, but I cannot find one. Have verified fuel pressure after installing new fuel pump, new fuel filter, clean air filter, replaced air tube with known good one, checked spark plugs and wires, verified distributor position and tried a different ECU. No change and would love to get it out on the trails with you guys.

Beer, bourbon, $$ for your time.

Last edited:
FYI I have a spare maf sensor sitting here for you.

Thanks. I’ll have to swing by sometime. I have another one here, but haven’t tried it yet.

If you have an electric fuel pump maybe it could be the pump resistor module? On the 80 it;s on the passenger firewall.

Sounds like you can monitor fuel pressure, you could also to monitor vacuum and timing when it starts to do this.

Is that something you can do?

Has an intank electric pump and I put a fuel pressure gauge on the cold start injector.

The open circuit relay on the passenger kick panel is doing what it is supposed to and passed the test of actuating the pump when the AFM door is opened.

Beyond that I do not have other diagnostic tools to monitor vacuum or timing.

Has an intank electric pump and I put a fuel pressure gauge on the cold start injector.

The open circuit relay on the passenger kick panel is doing what it is supposed to and passed the test of actuating the pump when the AFM door is opened.

Beyond that I do not have other diagnostic tools to monitor vacuum or timing.
Interesting, because it sure sounds cold start injector related.

If you unplug the cold start injector, will it start at all?

I will unplug the cold start injector and see what happens.

It starts and runs without the cold start, but runs rough. Has hesitation when you give it throttle. Also sprayed brake cleaner around the intake and air tube, no change.

This also was a very smooth running motor with plenty of power before it started losing power and couldn’t get up a small hill on my driveway without being in double and a ton of throttle.

Here’s a video

Last edited:
Bwaaaaa, bwaaaaa, vroooom, on throttle blip sounds lean..... dirty fuel filter or injectors?

Bad MAF? Unplug that thing, and see if there's any difference.

At the moment I'm thinking the MAF stopped working.

What were the circumstances when this happened originally? What changed?

Connector @ maf possibly my 62 had a loose pin in the connector and someone before had zip tied the opening relay 🙄

Did you check the dist cap/rotor ?

Just throwing ideas out

New fuel filter when I replaced the pump. I have another AFM here and will swap it, as well as make sure everything is pinned right. It should start if I disconnect it since it won’t sense the motor pulling air and then actuate the fuel pump. No MAF like on a more modern motor.

Distributor Cap is seated and bolted in and the rotor and contacts are clean.

From what I can recall/figure, it ran perfect until I ran it out of fuel while pulling bushes in the yard. Added more fuel and has been going downhill ever since.

Last edited:
Bad/old fuel 🤷🏻‍♂️ Unless it’s non ethanol doesn’t last in storage long in my opinion lol

Is unused fuel returning to tank ? Don’t ask how I know that can cause a issue 😬

Most of the fuel is newer, but still a few months old

Fuel is returning to the tank, made a small mess when pulling the line of the pump bracket when I replaced the pump.

After reading some on other forums might check TPS also just another idea

How did the sock look on the fuel pump pickup? Was the tank nasty?

He probably would have mentioned this, probably looked fine.

Hummm?

Get that AFM swapped out, and report back.

Fuel pump sock was intact, but brittle. Replaced with the new pump. Tank looked remarkably clean, so no issue there.

Unplugged the AFM and it started, but died after a second or two. Checked the wiring on the plug and all good there too. Swapped in another AFM and no change.

Will run with a low idle and then when you give it a bit of throttle, it falls flat and almost dies until you let off the throttle. If you “blip” the throttle and feather through, you can get it to rev.

Haven’t messed with the TPS - have to pull the throttle body off the make sure it is within spec, which may be the next thing to do.

Cool, don't mess with the TPS just yet.

Plug everything back in, start it and get it to idle.

Then with some starting fluid handy, spray into the intake as you try to blip the throttle and see if that resolves the falling on its face issue.

Cool, don't mess with the TPS just yet.

Plug everything back in, start it and get it to idle.

Then with some starting fluid handy, spray into the intake as you try to blip the throttle and see if that resolves the falling on its face issue.
Here what it does with the above. It definitely helped things out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom