2022 gx 460 transmission temp check (no paper clip) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LWC

Threads
before I installed a transmission cooler I thought I would take a look at the OBD port since I had always use the paperclip method on my Tacoma to check, fill. the 22 gx is definitely missing a couple of pins over earlier models, specifically the two pins that get shorted together with a paper clip to do the built-in temperature check. although I don’t recall the numbers I did check the pin out diagram to verify. I’m planning on using a code reader to check temperature, but it looks like either that or tech stream is going to be required.

Edit for clarity: As folks below posted, the easiest way for to check tranny temp on 2020+ for fluid level verification is to use an OBD II reader.

8773EFC9-2F6F-4405-B5AF-DAD824FF0847.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd imagine just an OBD II reader/dongle with a phone app should be all you need especially when on the road.
TechStream is great, but you need a laptop sitting next to you (in your vehicle) to use it.

Reactions: LWC
I have a Scangauge III in my GX, monitoring trans temp among other things. I have used a Scangauge II for that in other vehicles.

It's only been a couple months and in winter but so far I have been pleased with the stock trans cooling. On my Eurovan the stock system would have the trans temp up to 260 by the time I got up the mountain to my house. I put a big cooler on that, the stock setup is known to be inadequate. On the GX it doesn't even hit 200. Normal cruising it's 175-180 once up to temp. We'll see in the summer but I think it'll be ok for my use (no towing, not a heavy overland rig).

OBD port change occurred starting with 2020 model year… ZPC would also require Techstream instead of previous paper clip method

I’ve seen some devices pulling coolant temps and presenting those for AT… to confirm one is getting accurate date make sure you see different temps between AT Temp Sensor #1 and #2… the latter is outflow from TC and should be substantial in temp spread out of lockup. US market 460s without stock external AT cooler (other than 2020+ w/off-road package) will heat up substantially out of lockup and on grades and well above coolant level.

Last edited:
US market 460s without stock external AT cooler (other than 2020+ w/off-road package) will heat up substantially out of lockup and on grades and well above coolant level.

One of the values I have displayed on the scangauge is TC lockup. It's only in 5th and 6th gears. On the climb to my house which is about 3 miles at an average of about 8% (with some much steeper pitches) and a lot of tight turns it never gets to 5th or lockup if I leave it in drive, and I usually drive up it with the shifter 4th or 3rd. The trans temp doesn't get above 200 and is often in the 180s when I get home. Maybe it will be different in the summer, or on longer climbs, or off roading. But so far I've not seen anything to make me want to add a cooler. Of course if I do there's a nicely documented install of the factory cooler. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom