2019 King of Hammers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reflections: yes the event is a zoo. That said, this is a must attend, a bucket list item. Everyone says it, and they are right. Personally I wouldn't stay more than a couple days but if you rode moto/ATV/UTV you could stay for a while and enjoy yourself. Johnson Valley OHV area is HUGE (largest OHV in the US at 96k acres). Even w/ the race in town you could easily go and explore and see no one.

Funny story: I arrived late on Thursday, decided to meet a friend who runs "La Copine" a small restaurant outside of Joshua Tree (very good, if you're in the area definitely stop). One thing led to another and we ended up at Landers Brew Co - played some pool, hung out for a while and then it was time to leave to setup camp at KOH. But instead of going 10 miles up the road to the entrance to KOH, I decided it would be better and more interesting to drive through the desert and take the back way - past "Giant Rock" and enter Johnson Valley from the east. It was probably 11PM at this point, and I started off. Got a ways into Johnson Valley, about 12:30AM and I found myself on the north east side of Johnson Valley, standing between me and camp were obstacles called Chocolate Thunder, Jackhammer, Highway 19/20, etc... :rolleyes: I didn't know this at the time, but started researching as the trail started to get noticeably harder. Along the route I passed a truck, who started following until we both got to the point of deciding to turn around. He was trying to deliver a part for someone in the race, an older guy. His phone had no reception, he didn't download any maps, and he was lost. My plan was to pass out, wait until light, and figure out where I made a wrong turn. Instead... I ended up leading him all the way back out to the main road, got him down to the main race entrance, checked into KOH myself, got my wrist band, and crashed hard. It was after 4AM.

Friday was fun, lots going on, those trucks are loud and awesome. Method wheels had an area near backdoor (I mainly stayed at Chocolate Thunder and backdoor - btw why do those names sound so odd together?!?) and gave our free beer and hot dogs.

Johnson Valley would be a cool trip to do as a club, there are trails for everyone (even the massively built 80s would find trails they couldn't tackle), and tons of space if we wanted to explore or move camp each night. Not to mention close to Joshua Tree and Big Bear which could both be visited along the way.

Attached a few photos below, more photos + a few videos are here: King of Hammers 2019

What? you lost? 🤣 Thanks for the report/confession
Lost some dignity, lost some sleep, yep... One thing I learned, there are stock trucks, there are modified trucks, and then there are KOH trucks. Go big or go home (or turn around)?

Lost some dignity, lost some sleep, yep... One thing I learned, there are stock trucks, there are modified trucks, and then there are KOH trucks. Go big or go home (or turn around)?
Idle in watch others make a spectacle of them selves. You used hard key to gain entry?

Oh you mean when I woke up to a dead truck? Yes, but that was a couple days later in SF, you're mixing posts :meh:. Thankful for dual battery setup for sure.

mogwai who owns that tan FJ? I think its one i see on 76 all the time.

mogwai who owns that tan FJ? I think its one i see on 76 all the time.
No clue, he was parked next to me when I got back. Sweet ride though. It's funny how small our trucks looked out there, mine looked stock 🔧

No clue, he was parked next to me when I got back. Sweet ride though. It's funny how small our trucks looked out there, mine looked stock 🔧
and you didnt BNT card it?!

Well to be honest... there were 1000s of Yotas out there, and from all across the country. There was really no way to tell where they were from. Plus, I dole my BnT cards out more frugally, wouldn't want to run the well dry, nor have more FJs in the club than REAL Land Cruisers 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom