Builds 2017 Hilux touring/working build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

serenity

Threads
So this thread is going a completely different direction from when it began, I will slowly be kitting out my Hilux for seeing as much of this country as I can. I’d work faster but my piggy demands too much of my attention:rolleyes::hillbilly:.
At the moment it is easily self sufficient for an extended period for 1 person, I aim to push that out to 3 with a custom built tray and roof rack and a lift off system for my canopy.
IMG_2939.JPG

Last edited:
I've also ordered 2 kinchrome toolboxes to bolt onto the tray. They will arrive at the end of the month. The low one will sit on the passenger side and the tall one on the drivers side.

IMG_2944.JPG
IMG_2945.JPG

I'm also organising to have the roof rack from my 80 powder coated so I can bolt it to the ladder racks.

IMG_2862.JPG

So all the North American contingent are now jealous, that is one sweet Ute!! Those side boxes are
a nifty design, not seen anything like that here before.
So any plans as far as tires, bumpers and lights? So the 80 wheels fit the new Hilux? Looks like
same bolt pattern.

So all the North American contingent are now jealous, that is one sweet Ute!! Those side boxes are
a nifty design, not seen anything like that here before.
So any plans as far as tires, bumpers and lights? So the 80 wheels fit the new Hilux? Looks like
same bolt pattern.

Yeah sorry for that:flipoff2:, the 2.8 is great motor so far, plenty of power and torque. I just hope the emissions equipment doesn't let it down in the years to come. It has a DPF which is a bit of an unknown but has potential to cause issues.

Utes with trays and tool boxes are a common combination over here, probably more common than style side utes.

The tires fitted are a reasonable quality Yokohama AT so I'll run them until they wear out, no plans of going bigger as this won't see any extreme trails and I want to keep my road manners as I'll be heavily laden. The 80s wheels fit but the 305 tires are far too large for the hilux wheel wells. I'll be sticking to the factory rims, I actually like the look of them.

A bullbar is on the list but has lower priority than storage, I'll only need a bar if I hit a kangaroo.:confused:
I'm planning on getting either the Ironman 4x4 bar or the Dobinsons bar.
IMG_2946.JPG

No plans for spot lights on the bar but I want a few work lights in the tray and tool boxes.

And suspension I'll keep at the factory height, any upgrade I make will be to maintain ride height due to the extra weight added on to it.

I am also looking at a long range fuel tank and under body protection from Brown Davis.

As you can tell this build isn't in the extreme category, and it won't go anywhere near rock crawling. I'm more interested in making the long stretches of driving comfortable and easy and keeping my vehicle reliable and safe.

Can those tailgate and side gate latches and hinges be bought separately? I've got an alum FJ45 box I'm going to make into
a trailer and I am going to cut it so I can fold down the front gate as well as the rear, I haven't seen anything like that here in
Canada.

Can those tailgate and side gate latches and hinges be bought separately? I've got an alum FJ45 box I'm going to make into
a trailer and I am going to cut it so I can fold down the front gate as well as the rear, I haven't seen anything like that here in
Canada.

The Toyota latch setup is over complicated and is made that way for noise reduction. The best solution, and what is commonly used by aftermarket suppliers over here is an over center latch.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/201...5960-0%26rvr_id%3D1180118369158&ul_noapp=true
IMG_3053.JPG

Well it's time for this build to go in a different direction. The van has been ditched and the hilux is getting built!

So far I've swapped out the toolboxes for an aluminium part tray canopy, cut up the roof rack from my 80 and bolted it on, fitted an Ironman bullbar and fitted up a mix of Fox and Ironman suspension.

IMG_9885.JPG

I went with the part tray canopy as it allows me to set up 2 defined areas, a camp area and a work area. One side of the canopy will be fitted out with a fridge slide and Engel, power management area and some shelves for cooking/eating gear and dry food storage. The other side will have a large single drawer for camping gear and storage area for clothes and the other various items that follow us around. The fridge, slide and drawers have been ordered and should be here next week.

IMG_9886.JPG

Outside the canopy is space for my toolbox as well as the gas cylinder and BBQ. I will also add some under tray toolboxes for storing recovery equipment and load restraint equipment.
IMG_9824.JPG

Hi mate where did you get the tool box mount kit for the first boxes

Thanks mate

A new friend I made let me borrow his tig welder to weld up the support frames for the fridge slide and drawers. Unfortunately it was playing up so the welds aren’t great, I’m going to bring home my mig welder at Christmas and I’ll reweld it and move onto the second stage then.

Tilting fridge slide on the passenger side, will fit my new 60L Engel.
FC727C80-6668-47B0-9704-24B6B79C5954.jpeg

Big drawer on the drivers side for all of the travelling junk.
12B1AE30-A34D-4B1B-8CAC-9DBA248B432D.jpeg

Last edited:
FEFE269F-B601-4616-8A75-2C0F96088DAF.jpeg

Got the Engel mounted in, the fridge slide works well and makes access a breeze. Bought a new 100ah battery and a 120w solar panel to keep it running, also bought a switch panel and some led lights so I can set up lighting and power plugs to keep phones charged.

I’m out at Cloncurry for work for the next 2 weeks so before I left I went shopping and bought a bunch of supplies; a switchbpanel with circuit breakers, led lights, a new solar panel, a new battery and a bunch of other bits to wire it all up. I’m doing a little bit each evening after work.
2EDF81DF-4D5A-4B2B-88C7-AD70BFE337DD.jpeg

Today I got the 2 gland nuts for the solar panel mounted and one of the LED lights installed
D5BB9C89-C9AD-41DC-8E70-E96A948C7190.jpeg

Got a little more done tonight.

Solar controller is in and cables made up.
I still need to install a partition above the drawer, which will provide something for the cables to be secured to.
7C9DC94A-FE16-4C14-BFC3-26F93C8A929C.jpeg
E7B53B23-187E-44B3-B6C5-9CE8E5D009D1.jpeg

Got cheapo on the handle, drilled some holes and used some rope I have laying about. Also stickered up my drawer. Fridge is ice cold!
DCBBFB51-DDDF-42E8-A856-047A85D50DE5.jpeg

Installed my new 60L (16g) water bladder, used some rope to tie it in to the child seat restraints and down to the seat rails. This gives me 100L total with my 2 jerry cans.
43C0F660-A630-4B32-80EE-F978A4326536.jpeg

Also got the solar panel mounted the other day, it leaves enough room to fit our oztent beside it. Used some lightbar mounts to bolt it to the rack.
20AD31B8-35DF-4421-A06A-4E0635D42D31.jpeg
05F20816-BF88-4EB1-B437-B86F543A580C.jpeg

Last edited:
Got everything wired up for Christmas, it’s all temporary as I will be redoing it when I have more time. Went full redneck to get it done, the switch panel is mounted to a cardboard box that I screwed to the battery box.:grinpimp:
C52E4794-1D1C-4526-844A-DB8043CA2A07.jpeg
15C69FB7-558B-47C7-848D-0B8F593173AA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom