2016 worth the extra $$$ What is really different? Structure? Safety? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
subject says it all - 2016 worth the extra $$$ vs buying a used 2015 or What is really different? Structure? Safety?

Aside from the aesthetics are the 2016 and newer trucks better structurally?

I saw some blurbs about high strength steel in the A, B and C pillars as well as the rockers but it did not state that stuff was new for 16.

thanks

John

I think the 2016 is worth the extra cash, IMO. That being said I seriously doubt your are going to find anything structurally different. I have heard that the front brakes are beefier, but have not seen that for myself. I think the button layout, new look, birdeyes view camera, new tranny etc. make it worth the extra cash, my 2 cents...

I will let you know what I think later this week

Trading my '15 in for a '17, it should arrive off the boat today

I had the same debate last year when 16 came out and still could get 15 at a bigger discount. At the end got one for a less than $1K over invoice and never looked back. Front/back looks better, tech is better, LED headlights/fogs, brakes better. Rear screens would be great if those were an option. Even though I am not using them very often, do not bother me anymore. There a bunch of 16 I see locally in Raleigh, NC so I am sure you can get a great deal on them and I am sure your area has few as well or make deal here and take a quick trip to pick one up.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll throw in that the '16 received the new 8 speed transmission too. No structural changes as far as I know, but the controls layout is MUCH nicer, with a bunch of switches moving out from behind the steering wheel.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll throw in that the '16 received the new 8 speed transmission too. No structural changes as far as I know, but the controls layout is MUCH nicer, with a bunch of switches moving out from behind the steering wheel.

+1 forgot to add those.

I test drove a 2016 and I didn't like the upgraded NAV, esp in the LX570 (stupid mouse was sooo annoying). I hate systems that are overly cumbersome. Most everyone loved the new burnt orange interior in the LC - I didn't care for it. I also didn't like the stupid screens on the back of headrests. It might be because I am from the stone age and take forever to adopt to new technology event though I am a computer engineer.

I test drove a 2016 and I didn't like the upgraded NAV, esp in the LX570 (stupid mouse was sooo annoying). I hate systems that are overly cumbersome. Most everyone loved the new burnt orange interior in the LC - I didn't care for it. I also didn't like the stupid screens on the back of headrests. It might be because I am from the stone age and take forever to adopt to new technology event though I am a computer engineer.

Don't like the mouse in LX570, but the screen resolution is so much better. LC screen resolution is really bad so I keep the screen off. Toyota is 10 years behind on that.

Did you try changing radio stations? Everything was soo difficult. I like my 09 where I just touch the screen to change presets. Just to change the A/C was a pain. I can totally see myself crashing the car trying to change something as it requires alot of concentration.

The new screen also had a weird size/resolution. I prefer 4:3 rectangles, the new screen seemed even wider than 16:8 and not properly proportional.

I think the 2016 is worth the extra cash, IMO.
Agreed 100! We went from a 13LC to a 16LC, love it. We added the 16 LX as well. Great improvements.

The color interior on our LX is fantastic.

Love the 8 speeds.

The mouse on the LX we are used to, as we have had those on Lexus products in our garage since 2012.

Did you try changing radio stations? Everything was soo difficult. I like my 09 where I just touch the screen to change presets. Just to change the A/C was a pain. I can totally see myself crashing the car trying to change something as it requires alot of concentration.

The new screen also had a weird size/resolution. I prefer 4:3 rectangles, the new screen seemed even wider than 16:8 and not properly proportional.

Uh oh... I sense a fellow OCD'er!

Woo! :hillbilly::hillbilly:

I love my 2016 but one interesting perspective is that all years are capable. For example, there were all years of 200s with various levels of customization on the Ouray trip, and everyone was able to do all the trails and get to the destinations.

I considered a lightly used 2015 and a new-but-heavily-discounted LX and settled on the 2016 because we liked the interior terra color and the dash layout. I may have also used the 8-speed transmission to justify the decision, though I doubt I would have ever noticed a difference :)

I've owned a 2008 which was frankly my favorite truck I ever owned and my wife now has a 2016. In between we had a 2009 LX 570 and a 2011 LX570. I love the 2016 LC. Looks great. Interior is nice. Nav system much better than 2008. Integrates with iPhone pretty good for directions etc. with various apps through the Entune system. I love it.

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_5687.JPG

I love our 2016. I passed on the 2015 because I wanted the 8-speed, BSM and the surround cameras (which I use far more than I thought I would). As for the Nav, I didn't compare to earlier LCs but I can't imagine they are better. For me, the Nav system in the 2016 is much worse than the 2014 MDX and the 2014 LR4 I had. I feel like I have gone backwards 5 years in the Nave system. But, again, I don't believe the earlier LCs are better - maybe worse. Siri Hands Free actually works pretty well - if you are in cell range.

with a bunch of switches moving out from behind the steering wheel.

This is one thing that I definitely don't like about my 2013. There is a bank of switches below and to the left of the steering wheel. They are basically impossible to see while driving, and the switches can't be easily distinguished by feel. For 2016, Toyota moved these switches to a much better location.

This is one thing that I definitely don't like about my 2013. There is a bank of switches below and to the left of the steering wheel. They are basically impossible to see while driving, and the switches can't be easily distinguished by feel. For 2016, Toyota moved these switches to a much better location.

Completely agree regarding the buttons to the lower-left of the steering wheel. I have even thought of trying to move a few of the more frequently used ones to the lower-right pod section. Not sure if anyone has done this.

Looks like we all have the same color interior :D
I've owned a 2008 which was frankly my favorite truck I ever owned and my wife now has a 2016. In between we had a 2009 LX 570 and a 2011 LX570. I love the 2016 LC. Looks great. Interior is nice. Nav system much better than 2008. Integrates with iPhone pretty good for directions etc. with various apps through the Entune system. I love it.

View attachment 1344994

View attachment 1344995

I think the 2016 is worth the extra cash, IMO. That being said I seriously doubt your are going to find anything structurally different. I have heard that the front brakes are beefier, but have not seen that for myself. I think the button layout, new look, birdeyes view camera, new tranny etc. make it worth the extra cash, my 2 cents...

According to the online parts catalog, the brake rotors and calipers are different. The pads are the same, however.

2015 - Genuine OEM FRONT BRAKES Parts for 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser Base - Olathe Toyota Parts Center
2016 - Genuine OEM FRONT BRAKES Parts for 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser Base - Olathe Toyota Parts Center

The Centric rotors are slightly different parts as well:

2015 - https://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-120-44162-Premium-E-Coating/dp/B001KO6F22
2016 - https://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-120-44156-Premium-E-Coating/dp/B001942DLK

The 2016 Centric part # for the LC is the same as the 2013 Tundra. So Toyota appears to have take @bjowett's upgrade kit and made it standard on the 2016 (well, disc sizes anyway).

Given the pads are the same part #, now I'm really curious to see some photos of the front setup to see if Toyota just utilized bigger Tundra discs but with the same calipers, or if they actually used a Tundra caliper (or a new part). Also curious if they changed the backing plate to increase air flow or if they left that alone.

I drove an '11 LC a few years ago and a '17 just today. Curious if the interior is different around drivers area, or am I imagining things...

In the '11 I don't recall dead pedal being as close (more leg room), or the right-leg surround area intruding so much into driver area. Back-to-back with a new 4runner, the 4runner had much more open driver space and seemed like more leg room? Anybody own both?

I'm a big guy @ 6'3 280 so I may be more sensitive to losing a bit of space than the average bear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom