2016 OBC Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today at 5,500 miles my 2016's navigation screen began to malfunction. The system display would reset at the caution screen on a seemingly infinite loop. Normally, the start up process went like this:

1. Toyota logo screen
2. Caution screen with continue button
3. Navigation screen

After the system began to malfunction, the process was:

1. Toyota logo screen
2. Caution screen without continue button
3. Black screen
4. Repeat 1 through 4

During the black screen, or during the reset, the temperature indicators for the climate control and the outdoor thermometer turned off, but the clock stayed on. Some of the push button functions for the climate control (i.e. Auto, Off, Temp Up, Temp Down) continued to function normally. Anything that used the navigation system was unresponsive.

It's now in the hands of the nearest dealer. We were on our way out of town to the beach, with fresh groceries in the cool box and sleeping baby in tow. Now sitting across the street in front of Cracker Barrel. Hoping for the best.

That's bizarre, keep us posted.

Disconnected battery cable to effectively perform a hard restart when reconnected. Seems to have worked.

Wonder if we got an over the air SW "upgrade" of some sort? I was at 5240 miles or so when my navigation locked up. Happened about 11:00 AM Pacific time for me. Worst part was the system constantly reseting the radio every 30 sec. At least the volume worked so I could turn it down/off. But that seemed to be about the only radio/nav button that made any difference.

That's what I am thinking, but would have hoped for an explanatory email from TMC by now. Mine went out between 1:00 and 3:00 east coast time.

VERY interesting! Thank you for sharing the link; going to pass it along to the tech who worked on mine today. FWIW I also tweeted TMC US asking for an explanation. Very interested to see how all of this unfolds.

Disconnected both battery cables for 2-5 minutes and then reconnected and everything seems back to normal.

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts....

Disconnected both battery cables for 2-5 minutes and then reconnected and everything seems back to normal.

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts....

That's exactly how I **temporarily** fixed a debilitating error in my Subaru WRX...time and time again...until I proved the issue to the dealer.

2016 LC here and glad I did not get the issue. Probably because that day, I kept my screen in the "screen off" position with the custom background wallpaper, instead of the GPS screen.

2016 LC here and glad I did not get the issue. Probably because that day, I kept my screen in the "screen off" position with the custom background wallpaper, instead of the GPS screen.

It's kind of disconcerting if you extrapolate a bit. Could someone plant a SHUT DOWN bug in cars that hits everyone of a certain car make/year?
A certain date comes...and BOOM. There you sit in traffic. Sounds like a Hollywood movie in the making... Especially given that Hollywood isn't exactly brimming with fresh ideas... ;) Let's see... At 5:00pm in the Western sales region, all Toyotas with electronic accelerators will "floor" the gas pedal electronically. Voila! It's a cyber thriller with 5 extremely dull sequels...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom