2016 GX460 High Beam Replacement with LED - Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched, didn't find much.

2016 GX460. IT has LED DRLs, HID low-beams, and a separate 9005 halogen high beam that's high beam only. Looking to replace that with bright LEDs for back-road use. Not concerned about street legal; won't be used by traffic. THe posts I'm finding are for older bulbs that are discontinued. What's the current state of the art for bulbs? What size extended dust cover is required?

Hey FolsomGX,

BulbFacts | Aftermarket LED Kits Chart - Comparing to Halogen in Reflector Headlights & Foglights - https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/ is a great resource for structured, scientific comparison of bulb options. Make sure you read the reviews for a reflector housing (not the projector housing). The only LED I've seen that looks to be meaningfully differentiated and hasn't been covered yet on on BulbFacts is the Alpharex Ammo, because it appears to solve one of the fundamental issues with LED bulbs: they generally don't disperse light in a full 360* like an incandescent bulb.

I don't believe the high beams use a dust cover.

Searched, didn't find much.

2016 GX460. IT has LED DRLs, HID low-beams, and a separate 9005 halogen high beam that's high beam only. Looking to replace that with bright LEDs for back-road use. Not concerned about street legal; won't be used by traffic. THe posts I'm finding are for older bulbs that are discontinued. What's the current state of the art for bulbs? What size extended dust cover is required?
I replaced both low and high beams with Auxitos and they, especially the high beams, are super bright and are crisp even light. The bonus is they also have integrated heat sinks and fans so no extra wires which means it'll fit behind any rubber dust covers.

The country road / backroad & wilderness performance of the high beams are excellent.

Hunt for these if you're interested.

6FDE4ABB-CBC6-4CF7-9098-2D3D2CDC82D7.png

9011 Halogens. Way more light and no flickering of the LED when using DRL's. I tried a bunch of solutions, including external regulators for the flicker, and none of them worked. 9011's blow away the stock 9006's. Trim the base, set it and forget it.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I ended up going with a set of Morimoto 2Strokes; I've had good luck with Morimoto projectors in the past, and found some good reviews on them. So far, they seem excellent, and they did fit inside the stock dust covers.

Headlight/Foglight Configurations

'10-'13 : Base (low/high/fog-halogen) / Optional Base (low - HID w/AFS, high & fog - halogen)

'10-'13: Premium (low - HID w/AFS, high & fog - halogen)

'14-'19 : Base (low-LED, high-halogen, no fog option)

'14-'19 : Premium/Luxury (low/fog - LED, high-halogen)

'20-'22: Base (low/high-LED) - No fog lights

'20-'23 Premium & Luxury (low/high/fog-LED)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom