2015 Turf & Surf, Nov 6-8th. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
I thought I would turn this into more of a planning thread.

Here is the event itinerary Itinerary | Central Coast Land Cruisers

Attendees:

- Elripster
- Phulcrum

Mud thread... Details are here... Turf-N-Surf 2015

Date: November 6th - 8th

Overview: The Pismo dunes (Oceano SVRA, Oceano Ca) are one fun place to drive your truck. It is like when you were a kid and climbed up a slide just to go down but now we are big kids and we use trucks and large piles of sand. I think camping is about $10/night and you pay on your way in. You basically find a place to camp and that's that. Due to the distance you generally want to make this a Friday to Sunday or Friday to Monday trip.

I never made the Surf & Turf but I heard it was a blast and was touted as the largest gathering of Land Cruisers in the world. I did attend the 2013 and 2014 Turf & Surfs and can see how the momentum is building since the torch was passed on from Pismo Jim (who still attends) to Sethzilla and Central Coast Cruisers that put it on now. You will see all sorts of cruisers as well as other Toyota 4X4's and meet many great people who own them. People will jump their trucks and their trucks will break and this is fun to watch!

If this year is like past years, Saturday around 11AM all will line up for a group picture after which the poker run is on. It is typically not a bad idea to bring lunch along but camp is never very far away. In the afternoon we are on our own to entertain ourselves in the dunes. It appears Sand Chef is back on.

Other things to do there are surf (I will bring my board), jog, kite surf, swim, build a sand castle, surf fish, whatever else you can do at a beach.

Weather can vary. Sometimes it's like a warm summer day, others it is windy, it can get foggy. Organizing vehicles and trailers to be an effective windbreak is generally a good idea.

There are restrooms but you generally don't want to camp too close to them (stinky!). In general you want to be self contained though vendors travel the beach selling firewood, water, etc... and the trailers that rent ATV's have other goodies you might need.

You NEED to have a flag on your vehicle. I have two (forgot one year) and just zip tie one to my front bumper. If you forget you can buy one from the ATV rental guys.

There are no fire pits, you dig your own so some of us need to bring shovels. We need to think about Moe Joe support.

There is no limit to how many rigs can go. The beach is wide open and in November we usually have most of it to ourselves.

Planning Details (to be updated as the date gets closer)

Comms:

CB: 4 to start unless traffic forces us to another channel.
FRS: I dunno, someone pick on.
I don't have HAM, just bacon (Oh so bad it's good...)

Friday:

For those who want to caravan with the slow crowd (towing, kids that need to pee all the time...), let's meet at my place at 8:30AM for a 9AM departure. I will share my address at the meetings. For you speedies, don't hesitate to get there sooner and stake a claim for us. If you leave later, call, text, or I will monitor the thread to help ID you on the beach and get you to the group in the dark.

Our plan is to depart Friday morning by 9AM (on road, gassed...) If you are not pulling a trailer and don't mind putting your foot into it, hit no traffic, you can get from my house in Rancho Bernardo to the Oceano SVRA in 4.5 - 5 hours. If you are towing it will take more like 5.5 - 6 hours. Once you hit the sand, I suggest you air down at least partially to make camp scouting with a load of gear in your truck easier. Non-trailer folks need to leave no later than 10AM Friday to get through LA, Camarillo, and Santa Barbara traffic. If you get caught in traffic, just hunker down and be patient, it is a grind, ask me how I know... Since we are towing we need to leave an hour earlier. The good news is we hit the dunes mid afternoon with plenty of time to set up camp and play around.

Note that there are two entrances to the beach. In both cases you turn south, cross a creek (probably dry), and start counting poles. GMaps did show an entrance I don't recognize but I have used the Grand and Pier entrances in the past.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/186...0x80ec5eb602b14261:0x68f617e4bff1af43!1m0!3e0

The event is usually at Pole 6 but we don't want to be too close (too loud, too late at night for the kiddos) nor do we want to be too close to the water (high tide, vehicle traffic) so we will find a place that balances these ideals.

Friday dinner: Let's discuss. A potluck or at least a Mo Joe session is likely good. People will be arriving at different times and it is often nice to have a grill already going when you arrive in the dark, hungry, and badly in need of a delicious beverage.

Saturday:

Breakfast and collect at the TBD location of the group photo then off to the poker run.

Lunch is likely on the dunes while we watch other people fly high over the dunes.

Dinner: If we were to do an organized potluck as a group this would be the night.

Sunday: Typically the organizers lead anyone who wants to go up to the Pozo Saloon via an off road route mid to late morning. I have not made this either year but might try this year. Google Maps says it is a little over 5 hours to San Diego from the saloon via I5 over the Grapevine. Sunday traffic is light so if you left Pozo in the afternoon you wouldn't be home too terribly late.

We will be staying an extra day or two in Solvang to visit my father in law and thus will split off from the group either at the Saloon or where the 246 breaks from 101 and heads east in Buellton.

Frank

Last edited:
We are getting closer! Shirts are for sale for those interested... Turf-N-Surf 2015

How many from the group are interested? I know Phulcrum and I will be there. I am dropping my cruiser off at an exhaust shop today to get my O2 sensor bungs welded directly to the pipes (not offset like they are now) to hopefully quash this rich running condition and getting what appear to be two plugged up cats replaced. Sand and power go well together and I don't have a Watt to spare in my truck.

Frank

Last edited:
I will cook the following items on the mojoe: garlic, bacon, meat.

pick the order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom