2014 GX 460 vs 2014 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brand new here!

Looking forward to joining the overlanding and mud communities. I think I have narrowed it down to the two vehicles from the title. Said vehicle will be my daily driver, and also used for family road trips and “mild” overlanding/hunting. Both vehicles appear to be in good condition and have roughly 100k miles. Both are listed for right at $25k. Id like to drive this vehicle for several years to come and I’m not afraid to put some money into for upgrades.

My question is how do these two compare in longevity and reliability, and cost of ownership for routine maintenance? I’ve heard great things about the 4Runner, but can’t seem to find much information on the drivetrains in the 2nd gen GX 460’s. Any information anyone good give me that would make this decision a little easier would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The GX is extremely similar to a 4runner, with most of the parts being exactly the same. The GX has a better engine and comes standard with KDSS (love it or hate it). The 4runner has better stock approach and departure. GX is a little heavier.

Regarding longevity and reliability, I would imagine that they are basically identical. They use the same parts and are assembled in the same factory. Obviously there are some differences here and there, but nothing significant imo. Between the two vehicles, the more reliable one will be the one with the best service history.

I'm a newer owner of an older 2013 GX 82k. Friends have 4Runners/Tacomas. After having the V8, all time ATrac and nice luxury adds, I would not step backwards into a 4Runner and I would consider it a backwards move. I like the more subtle look of the 2nd gen GX.

Aftermarket for the 2nd gen GX is meager, but getting stronger. 4Runner will have way way more aftermarket goodness. GX is heavy and you can feel it at times. Parts and repairs tend to have the Lexus premium attached.

GX market tends to be stocked from mild daily use by home makers or old ladies, so all other things equal, the GX will be more gently used. That said, good luck wearing out either one.

s

The GX is extremely similar to a 4runner, with most of the parts being exactly the same. The GX has a better engine and comes standard with KDSS (love it or hate it). The 4runner has better stock approach and departure. GX is a little heavier.

Regarding longevity and reliability, I would imagine that they are basically identical. They use the same parts and are assembled in the same factory. Obviously there are some differences here and there, but nothing significant imo. Between the two vehicles, the more reliable one will be the one with the best service history.

Thanks so much for the information. And that definitely makes sense. It seems like one of the only complaints people have about the newer style GX is the approach and departure angle because of the front end. But it doesn’t bother me, and honestly it’s one of my favorite features stylistically of that model and the main reason I’m choosing it over the older body style haha. Thanks again for the reply!

I'm a newer owner of an older 2013 GX 82k. Friends have 4Runners/Tacomas. After having the V8, all time ATrac and nice luxury adds, I would not step backwards into a 4Runner and I would consider it a backwards move. I like the more subtle look of the 2nd gen GX.

Aftermarket for the 2nd gen GX is meager, but getting stronger. 4Runner will have way way more aftermarket goodness. GX is heavy and you can feel it at times. Parts and repairs tend to have the Lexus premium attached.

GX market tends to be stocked from mild daily use by home makers or old ladies, so all other things equal, the GX will be more gently used. That said, good luck wearing out either one.

s
Thanks for the response! Like the first reply - the one that will last the longest is probably the one with the best service history. That plays into your point exactly... I rarely see GX’s and when I do they are being driven by grandma and grandpa, haha. Which explains why 99% of them on the used market look brand new on the inside and have service history with Lexus dealerships. Both of these responses have definitely persuaded me to go with the GX. Going to test drive one today!

B787B36E-A81E-4531-BD02-A86C5AEF80AE.jpeg

Thanks for the response! Like the first reply - the one that will last the longest is probably the one with the best service history. That plays into your point exactly... I rarely see GX’s and when I do they are being driven by grandma and grandpa, haha. Which explains why 99% of them on the used market look brand new on the inside and have service history with Lexus dealerships. Both of these responses have definitely persuaded me to go with the GX. Going to test drive one today!

View attachment 2501956

For $26k it better be very low mileage (50k or less) for a 2014. You may want to shop around a bit, $26k is a bit high unless it has very low miles for its age.

Good luck! Let us now what you get!

For $26k it better be very low mileage (50k or less) for a 2014. You may want to shop around a bit, $26k is a bit high unless it has very low miles for its age.

Good luck! Let us now what you get!
Oh, really?? It has just over 109k. I’ve been shopping for a month or two around Indiana and that’s the lowest priced one I could find! Haha. Any recommendations on where to look for a better price? Thanks!

View attachment 2501956
That is not a bad price. Look at the trends page for those. Prices have been ticking up every month.
Mine was $22,000 with 78k. 2013 so old body style and in Base config. No variable height.
Private seller in Mobile AL. In the first 6mo the radiator started leaking but that is the only repair i have made.
We have already done 700mi of the TAT in TN. Met all expectations.

s

In my opinion $26k for a 2014 with 109k is a bit much even with the price hike GX’s are experiencing. But this is my opinion. :) If you like it and it checks out mechanically and you’re comfortable at that price then go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom