2013 Lexus GX460 Basic Build - Daily Driver with Off Road Ability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a daily driver GX460 for my family in 2015. It had been exclusively driven by my wife as her daily driver until late last year. It has now become my daily driver and I have been slowly making modifications to allow for some off road capabilities. Had taken it in some snow and a bit of off-roading in Placerville and Tahoe area with stock set up and been pretty impressed. So far I have added wheels (WARRIOR Matte Black wheels by Mayhem®, 18" x 9", 6x139.7 Bolt Pattern, 108mm Hub), then the Icon Lift Kit 3" lift with 33" tires (Mickey Thompson LT275/70R18 Tire, Baja ATZ), and currently have it in the shop for the install of a bumper and sliders (Metal Tech 2010-13 GX460 Talon Front Shell Bumper Stage 2 and Metal Tech 2010+ Lexus GX460 Sliders).

Pretty happy with the lift and tires, though a fair amount of rubbing which should be alleviated by the bumper and sliders. I do plan on adding the crawl control and am looking into making a modification to the rear, either a bumper or spare tire mount, though I really like the look of the rear bumper and don't want to make too much of a change if it can be avoided.

Really been enjoying reading the builds I've seen here and will keep updating with photos as I make mods.

Welcome to the "club"!
Feel free to contribute anything you've learned as you go through your rig or any trails/rides you go on!
And on that same note, no such thing as stupid questions! Albeit, you may be kindly directed to search for the topic yourself if it's to obvious...
Also be sure to peruse through the Manuals and Aftermarket threads on top of the home page! A lot of questions get answered there.

Welcome to the "club"!
Feel free to contribute anything you've learned as you go through your rig or any trails/rides you go on!
And on that same note, no such thing as stupid questions! Albeit, you may be kindly directed to search for the topic yourself if it's to obvious...
Also be sure to peruse through the Manuals and Aftermarket threads on top of the home page! A lot of questions get answered there.
Thanks. Appreciate the guidance.

Kool & welcome

bought the wife an '11 GX Premium in January w/95K miles

AZ & NV car from Carmax...yes high book.....but has proved to be a solid truck

The wife said...'you can not sell my '05 Tacoma until I'm sure I like this Lexus'

I said OK....didn't take her long & the Tacoma was gone...she drove it just short of 15 yrs

Now has 103K on it....few mods done....front I-M bumper..17" tires/wheels...2" lift...RIDg tire carrier

Good luck with your project.....I said before..'these things are a money pit'........;)

Kool & welcome

bought the wife an '11 GX Premium in January w/95K miles

AZ & NV car from Carmax...yes high book.....but has proved to be a solid truck

The wife said...'you can not sell my '05 Tacoma until I'm sure I like this Lexus'

I said OK....didn't take her long & the Tacoma was gone...she drove it just short of 15 yrs

Now has 103K on it....few mods done....front I-M bumper..17" tires/wheels...2" lift...RIDg tire carrier

Good luck with your project.....I said before..'these things are a money pit'........;)

How many miles were on the Tacoma when you sold it? Do y'all miss having a truck bed around?

@colbyf there are four new rear bumpers/tire carriers set to hit the market soon from Victory Offroad, CBI, 4x4 Labs and Southern Style Offroad, I'd wait to see what you think of their designs before forcing a purchase of the rather sad options currently available. Congrats on being able to finally move forward with the build.

Last edited:
@colbyf there are four new rear bumpers/tire carriers set to hit the market soon from Victory Offroad, CBI, 4x4 Labs and Southern Style Offroad, I'd want to see what you think of their designs before forcing a purchase of the rather sad options currently available. Congrats on being able to finally move forward with the build.
Thanks. Looking forward to some more options as I’m not a big fan of the rear jumpers I’ve seen so for. Though I gotta say that the Metaltech front bumper looks great. Picking up my rig tomorrow so I can’t wait to see it.

Thanks. Looking forward to some more options as I’m not a big fan of the rear jumpers I’ve seen so for. Though I gotta say that the Metaltech front bumper looks great. Picking up my rig tomorrow so I can’t wait to see it.

I've always liked the Metal Tech front bumper for the GX460.1 (10-13 model) but I am not impressed with their 2014+ front bumper or their rear bumper.

Bought a daily driver GX460 for my family in 2015. It had been exclusively driven by my wife as her daily driver until late last year. It has now become my daily driver and I have been slowly making modifications to allow for some off road capabilities. Had taken it in some snow and a bit of off-roading in Placerville and Tahoe area with stock set up and been pretty impressed. So far I have added wheels (WARRIOR Matte Black wheels by Mayhem®, 18" x 9", 6x139.7 Bolt Pattern, 108mm Hub), then the Icon Lift Kit 3" lift with 33" tires (Mickey Thompson LT275/70R18 Tire, Baja ATZ), and currently have it in the shop for the install of a bumper and sliders (Metal Tech 2010-13 GX460 Talon Front Shell Bumper Stage 2 and Metal Tech 2010+ Lexus GX460 Sliders).

Pretty happy with the lift and tires, though a fair amount of rubbing which should be alleviated by the bumper and sliders. I do plan on adding the crawl control and am looking into making a modification to the rear, either a bumper or spare tire mount, though I really like the look of the rear bumper and don't want to make too much of a change if it can be avoided.

Really been enjoying reading the builds I've seen here and will keep updating with photos as I make mods.
Forgot to mention I also put on a Smittybuilt 10,000 lb. winch. Was going to hold off, but with the new bumper going on, now is the time.

@colbyf there are four new rear bumpers/tire carriers set to hit the market soon from Victory Offroad, CBI, 4x4 Labs and Southern Style Offroad, I'd wait to see what you think of their designs before forcing a purchase of the rather sad options currently available. Congrats on being able to finally move forward with the build.
Are they pre or post 2013? or both?

Update, bumper and sliders installed. Found out a little late that MetalTech backordered the LED fog lamps, but should be an easy install once they are received.

Super happy with how everything came out and even though I read all the posts about the bare metal at the from where the rocket panels came off, I’m a little disappointed at how bad it really looks.

Will keep looking for solutions other than the rocker panels for $499 plus $400 shipping if seen in these threads. Not a fan of trimming the step and existing rockers as I’d hoped to save them to be put back on if I ever want or need to return to stock.

Anyone found any other solutions not already in the existing threads?

9D46D83D-3F09-4B20-B28B-63A258C62AC0.jpeg

DD1A2D23-017D-454D-819A-DC482D7E91B5.jpeg

AABA806A-6542-449F-9850-B5CCE3B6740F.jpeg

That looks great!

I'd like a better solution for the rocker panel covers also - I cut mine but if there were something nicer I'd probably switch.

As of right now your rocker panel options are to trim/cut your stockers or to order Prado rockers. I opted to trim mine but should I keep the GX for the long haul I might consider spending the money for some Prado units.

As of right now your rocker panel options are to trim/cut your stockers or to order Prado rockers. I opted to trim mine but should I keep the GX for the long haul I might consider spending the money for some Prado units.
You mind posting a pic of the trimmed rockers?

Expedition One now has front and rear bumpers. Demello should be out by years end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom