2011 Tundra Nav radio into an 08 Sequoia?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having trouble figuring out what pigtails I need to buy.

I bought the 08 Sequoia Limited 4x4 used last week.
It did not have a nav screen, but the seller had a nav screen from his 2011 Tundra that he included for free.

I pulled the old unit, and most of the connections were easy to move over. However, one thin plug had no place to go on the new unit, which I surmised was for the steering wheel phone controls as those are the only things not working :)

I also found the rear camera new from my dealer for $100 and what appears to be the correct GPS antenna on ebay for $12.

Can anyone help with what wiring I need to connect the steering wheel phone controls?
And does anyone know if the rear camera wiring is already in place for me to just plug & play, or will I need to run the cable clear to the front (no problem either way, just curious what I will find when I pull of the interior of the rear hatch).

Many thanks.

I suppose some pics might help ...

OLD UNIT
6C7204F3-F3A7-4DAD-A041-9BDDE6832C28.jpeg
E52786D2-1D53-428B-BA5D-08F821E3089A.jpeg

NEW UNIT
B3E41D21-EA10-4399-8FB9-93F09F4FE8A0.jpeg
ACEA62E9-5305-464A-A602-ED33EAB2FB31.jpeg

07C283FC-7458-43AB-A78E-7E06F3DBDC60.jpeg

And here is the wiring plugs from the old unit

E06AD0E4-631F-4B01-97B6-23446568390F.jpeg

I don't have any help, but as an owner of a 08 Sequoia with the non-nav radio, I'm following. I'd love a plug-n-play system like this.

Josh,

I think you'll need to go the route I'm probably going to end up following . . . just start fresh.

Even my local parts manager insists the wire loom has the rear camera connector regardless of whether the truck had that option, I'm simply not finding it on the dash end (he says it will be taped in place behind the glove box) and I'm not finding it at the rear hatch area (he says some were run down into the rear hatch, and most were taped up behind the rearmost cargo pillar).

The cost of the OEM camera was about $100 (and returnable). Adding the OEM GPS antenna would be $10-50 depending on who I buy from on ebay. I haven't figured out the adapter I need to make my steering wheel phone controls work, but figure another $10-50. I got the head unit for free. However, there are a ton of android based head unit for $150-200 that include everything needed (gps, rear camera, interface cables, etc..) AND offer carplay / android auto, plus more apps, including OBD2 apps. So it would just be cheaper and easier to buy a full kit if I have to run a camera cable anyway (and I'm not even considering the units that come with wireless bluetooth rear camera).

I'll post whatever I end up doing.

I don't know about cheaper, but I put a Pioneer DMH-1500NEX in my '10 Tundra. The head unit was less than half of the cost of the full system. There was a bunch of middleware to connect it to the factory switches, etc. (iDataLink Maestro RR, USB harness, and Toyota HRN-RR-TO1 adapter). Then the camera unit (I got one that replaced the tailgate handle, so may have paid more than you will need to). Overall, it was a great way to modernize an older vehicle.

Try Tundra.com in the 2nd Gen section. Those guys are really helpful, I just got
a 2007 Tundra. The 2007-2013 are very similar in all aspects. I do know that some plugs
just aren’t necessary depending on the individual truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom