2008 Tundra snow plowing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
tiretoolproducts.com
Hi, so i have a 2008 Tundra that I use mainly for snow plowing. I usually need to put in 4 Hi to have enough power to push deep snow. When turning in 4Hi I get a bunch of jerking when I am trying to maneuver around the driveway. It's only for my personal use, not commercial. My question, should i drop back to 2wd when turning? I've had it for 5 years and it used to turn in fairly tight spaces with no jerking, It's getting worse, Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Dave Teal

The jerking is the outer tire of the turn skidding to try to catch up with the inner tire. 4 wheel drive locks up the front axle so the two wheels turn together but the outer tire has to travel more distance to catch up. Think running track at the olympics.

It only happens on dry pavement or where the tires get traction. On slippery surfaces you shouldn’t notice it.

It’s normal but not good if you constantly turn on dry pavement. Either pick slippery spots to turn, wide turns or turn 4 WD off.

The jerking is the outer tire of the turn skidding to try to catch up with the inner tire. 4 wheel drive locks up the front axle so the two wheels turn together but the outer tire has to travel more distance to catch up. Think running track at the olympics.

It only happens on dry pavement or where the tires get traction. On slippery surfaces you shouldn’t notice it.

It’s normal but not good if you constantly turn on dry pavement. Either pick slippery spots to turn, wide turns or turn 4 WD off.
Thank you Weedhopper! I think I will disengage 4WD when turning, It sounds like a good option, thanks for the expertise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom