2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just ordered a Denzo rad and water pump etc, from rock auto for my 14 with 127k miles on the OD. I don't have any signs of decay at this point from the pump or rad but something tells me to get the parts now.:wtf:

I’m on the list 2013

134B9C25-5706-4F84-9E43-156570A48820.jpeg

2010 LX570 with 153,000 radiator crack and spraying coolant at the part number molding. Tried Seal-All and did not work. Sanded and cleaned the plastic really good and used gorilla weld from Homedepot. Solid fix with minimal cost and no leaks after a few hundred miles. Gorilla 1 fl. oz. GorillaWeld-4330101 - The Home Depot

I wouldn't relay on that as a permanent solution. Summer is just around the corner.

IMO I would order a rad and hoses now.

Checking in w/ a 13', 120k miles and no rad issues to date. Going to press my luck for a bit longer until I see more 13s and later popup on here but the crack has to be coming soon, age, not mileage.

Checking in w/ a 13', 120k miles and no rad issues to date. Going to press my luck for a bit longer until I see more 13s and later popup on here but the crack has to be coming soon, age, not mileage.

I've been tracking this phenomenon for over 2 years. If your rad is original making it far past 120k is definitely an anomaly, independent of year (prior to the redesign anyway). Mine is a 13 and had the slight crack at 105 when I got it.

Not that I'd go in there and change it without any visible crack.. but I'd be keeping a close eye on the area, and maybe have the parts on-hand depending on how much you need the truck running.

I've been tracking this phenomenon for over 2 years. If your rad is original making it far past 120k is definitely an anomaly, independent of year (prior to the redesign anyway). Mine is a 13 and had the slight crack at 105 when I got it.

Not that I'd go in there and change it without any visible crack.. but I'd be keeping a close eye on the area, and maybe have the parts on-hand depending on how much you need the truck running.
Yeah agreed, I have it on the list to order ASAP so I have on hand.

Just when I thought this was all hype, I opened the hood this afternoon and this is what I found, she's a 2009 w/206K. The replacement rad is on the way in from EB Bosch, $289 plus freight. I pulled the FSM out and took a look at the fun that awaits me and I'm deciding to let someone else have the pleasure of doing the install. There was nothing on youtube about how to install a radiator either. I will rig a fix tomorrow with epoxy, liquid nail, gorilla glue and duct tape. The rad will
IMG_1114.jpeg
here by Thursday so whatever goes into the "temp" repair will be truly temporary.

I love the little bubbles...well..not really. You can see the seam is shot and the bubbles are telling that story

Would it be worth it to do a detailed DIY video on radiator replacement? It seems that there are thousands of these out there that will be failing over the next few years and most garage mechanics would probably be able to do it. Maybe I’ll post that soon on my ‘10 LX.

Would it be worth it to do a detailed DIY video on radiator replacement? It seems that there are thousands of these out there that will be failing over the next few years and most garage mechanics would probably be able to do it. Maybe I’ll post that soon on my ‘10 LX.
I think that would be very well received. Even a new thread would probably get added to the DIY section.

A few people have posted tips like the lower bolts access through the grill.. but a video always helps these things a lot.

I topped off with some fluid and made this whiz-bang patch for the problem area, I'm hoping during pandemic-apocalypse I do not have a cooling problem tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to update the post tomorrow after work with some photos. 70 miles round trip for tomorrow's commute -

IMG_1117.jpeg

Many many days ago after a patch like that you would just drive around with the heat on hi. :geek:

What product did you use? Have you let the car get up to temperature for a little while? That crack looks very close to the edge of the epoxy on the right side of the pic. Just looking out for you.

Figured I should replace the radiator in my ‘13 LX with 80k before it fails. Shopping around for a new one, finding it hard to verify if they’re all the new design or if it’s just a crap shoot. Is there a dealer that sells them for cheaper than others?

Last edited:
Figured I should replace the radiator in my ‘13 LX with 80k before it fails. Shopping around for a new one, finding it hard to verify if they’re all the new design or if it’s just a crap shoot. Is there a dealer that sells them for cheaper that others?
I got mine from Conicelli Toyota Parts Center. It was the best price I could find at the time (5 months ago)

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
16400-50384 Radiator Assembly $296.17 1 $296.17

Subtotal: $296.17
Estimated Standard Shipping: $30.71
Discount: -$5.00
Total: $321.88

I got mine from Conicelli Toyota Parts Center. It was the best price I could find at the time (5 months ago)

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
16400-50384 Radiator Assembly $296.17 1 $296.17

Subtotal: $296.17
Estimated Standard Shipping: $30.71
Discount: -$5.00
Total: $321.88
Thanks! I’ll give them a call

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom