2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Edited by Moderator to change date range in title

Curious who else has had a failure of their radiator on their 200 of the 08-10 model years by a crack on the top next to the molded in platform. I got lucky and found mine before it was catastrophic. I notified @TexAZ because I know his truck is close to mine in Serial number to see his radiator and his is also cracking, but not leaking in this spot yet. If you have a 2008-10 200 you should look at the top of your radiator for the tell tale signs of a crack. I know a few other 200 owners have been able to get Toyota to cover their radiator replacement after the warranty was finished due to this exact failure. I'm curious how many others have replaced or see cracking in this area. I called my guys at my normal Toyota dealer and am waiting to hear Toyotas response on this. I have a 2008 with 166k, so I don't expect much.
20160325_180808.jpg
20160325_180824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - Thank you for the heads up...I'll keep an eye on mine! I just started to see a few drops from the water pump.....

Is it a crack in the field of plastic or in a seam?

Also, is there a different radiator post '10?

@drmwvr , the crack is where you see the wet line in my pics. Hopefully @TexAZ will post a pic of his pre leak. The radiator after 2010 is a different Part number but I don't know what changed. Would like for post 2010 peeps to post up any info.

Aint nothin' like a built in stress raiser. The later part is possibly reinforced there.

There no change in radius or anything. Total stress riser at the edges

@bjowett , haven't seen one so I cant say

Yup, just changed my '08 rad. Pics that I saw looked like there was no way some JBWeld type of compound would be a solution.

Not sure, but does this extend to the LX in those affected years too?

Not sure, but does this extend to the LX in those affected years too?

I'm not sure, but I know in 2011 the part was superseded. My bet is that they are the same. I haven't looked to confirm so that's just my guess.

This is the part number for the Lexus radiator: 16400-50383. It seems to be an updated number. Using my VIN, the original part number ended in a 1 and there was another ending with 2. So, it looks like yeah, the LX is probably affected as well.

Mine blew at 139,000

This is the part number for the Lexus radiator: 16400-50383. It seems to be an updated number. Using my VIN, the original part number ended in a 1 and there was another ending with 2. So, it looks like yeah, the LX is probably affected as well.

Correct 3 part supersessions. Supplier has always stayed the same. T.RAD

If you have a high mileage 08-11 here is what to look for:

radiator crack.jpg

before and after....

radiator blown.jpg

@beno do you know the difference between the -2 and -3 part numbers?
is the lexus the same as the cruiser?

@Markuson its plastic, once is has heated/cooled flexed for 6 years, trying to strengthen the area might buy some time, but would not prevent the crack from spreading to the point of eventual failure.

@beno do you know the difference between the -2 and -3 part numbers?
is the lexus the same as the cruiser?

@Markuson its plastic, once is has heated/cooled flexed for 6 years, trying to strengthen the area might buy some time, but would not prevent the crack from spreading to the point of eventual failure.

No. Toyota does not provide engineering information related to part number supersessions.

Yes, same as LX.

No. Toyota does not provide engineering information related to part number supersessions.

Yes, same as LX.

Ya... I went out and looked at mine and realized it was not metal in that area! :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom