2005 tundra probs- could use some pointers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, in a hurry, and in lack of a vehicle i could put my grandfather, and crippled father into for a desert weekend- i pulled the trigger on a 2005 2wd trd double cab. Its got the 4.7 liter with VVT, and 5 speed trans. Overall its in really nice shape, has 150,000 miles on it though.

It got me through the family desert weekend, but it didnt take long before i started having issues with it. At first i noticed a slight shuttering, or sharp (but slight) hesitation while steady on the gas. Usually at just under 2000 rpm. Speed didnt change anything- any gear, at that rpm, and uphill was worse. Once while going uphill on the freeway, i rolled into the gas a little, and the engine cut out- abruptly like the key had been turned off- electrical devices like radio still working- had to pull over emergency style. No check engine light. Once stopped and back in park, the truck fired right up again.

It went to the dealer, where they found a cracked spark plug, and told me oil from the trd air filter got on theass air flow sensor. They talked me into new plugs, and cleaning the MAF, cleaning throttle body, and putting paper air filter in.
Fine- truck ran great for about 2 days.

Then i started getting check engine lights and codes for lean bank 2 and eventually lean bank 1. The hesitation came back- although much much milder, and smoother now. Also ive had several instances of the engine shutting off. I would not let anyone else drive this thing- at the moment i do not consider this thing safe or reliable. If you are cruising at light throttle, and roll into the gas- i can get the motor to cut out at around 3000 rpm almost every time now.

Ive looked for vaccuum leaks, cleaned MAF, replaced MAF, checked fuel pressure, have a cheap scanner plugged in to monitor things... Havent been able to figure it out yet.

Biggest issue is i cant find any info specific info for the 2005/2006 model years. I bought a cheap haynes manual- it claims to cover the 2005, but im really only seeing info on 2001-2004 models.

The engine, fuel pump, trans, and other parts are different onnthe 2005/2006. Im also not finding a lot online.

Anybody know where i can find info or specs to compare to what im finding?

Fuel pressure? I had 33 psi at idle. Doesnt change much with rpm. If i disconnect the resistor it runs about 42 psi. Applying vacuum to the regulator slowly brings the pressure down about 4psi...
This seems to be in step with the 2001-2004 parts, but this is a different (substantially more expensive!) fuel pump assembly. Anybody know what pressures are supposed to be for these?

Also my fuel pump does not turn on with the key on- it does not prime the fuel lines. Zero pressure until the key is turned and the motor cranks. But the motor fires up instantly.

Is this normal? Manual says the 2001-2004 should build pressure with key on. Dont have specs for 2005-2006.

As far as i can tell- fuel lines/rail/injectors hold pressure well- no change in pressure over about 10 minutes with engine off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom